AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Humor (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Signs of too much cross training. (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8299)

CNYMike 06-07-2005 01:22 PM

Signs of too much cross training.

Ok, my turn to do a "top 10" list.

From the home office in Cortland, New York

Top Ten Signs You Are Doing Too Much Cross Training

10. You keep greeting your Aikido sensei with the Filipino courtesy

9. You catch yourself packing the sarong and sweat pants for Aikido before you leave the house, and switch to the gi.

8. You catch yourself packing your gi for Kali before you leave the house; switch to sarong and sweat pants.

7. Your Aikido instructors are always yelling at you for having your rear heal up.

6. There is no number 6. (Monty Python reference.)

Any more?

L. Camejo 06-07-2005 02:04 PM

Re: Signs of too much cross training.

5. You combine leg reaps and sacrifice throws with your Aikido waza in randori and hear your Sensei screaming "No, no Judo, use Aikido" from the corner of the mat.

4. You start doing tantodori with Kali type knifework while your Tori just stands there looking on in shock after being "cut" about a hundred times already.

3. You instinctively find yourself using your free hand to go for your knife to get out of Juji Gatame in Judo newaza.;)

Just a couople off the top of my head.;)
LC:ai::ki:

Matt Molloy 06-07-2005 02:57 PM

2: Your turn to attack so you scream then launch yourself at your training partner with a piercing scream of "MEN!!!" not forgetting fumikomi.

Partner can adopt the "rabbit in the headlights" look. :hypno:

1.5: Your partner tsukis quite close so you bong sau, lap sau and start chain punching. :confused:

Cheers,

Matt.

John Boswell 06-07-2005 03:35 PM

And...

1) There is no number 6. ;)

Paula Lydon 06-07-2005 06:07 PM

~~Rolling out of a takedown instead of just dropping and going for a leg sweep
~~Ditto on knife work
~~Affraid of engaging in randori because all the other tapes will play
~~Not using knees and elbows tooooo much
~~'Playing nice'
~~Mind constantly whispering of all the things I'm not allowed to do in Aikido
~~Feeling like I'm :crazy: and everyone else is sane
~~Still hate wearing the hakama

Bridge 06-08-2005 03:33 AM

When your head instructor has noticed you stick out like a sore thumb despite your best attempts to blend in.

The instructors are often correcting each other on what it is that you did before, while being sure they are right.

Accidentally doing the wrong version of a kata or technique without realising. In front of everyone!

Confusing the heck out of the beginners, who think if they copy you, then that must be right. To the dismay of the instructor, who then has a whole line of people below a certain rank doing the wrong thing!

Appearing to be more DUMB than the average aikidoka.

ian 06-08-2005 06:55 AM

11. cutting off uke's head with live blade before they get near enough to grab you
12. refer to number 6

pezalinski 06-14-2005 11:40 AM

xx. Sitting in seiza right before class and NO ONE will sit next to you for fear of ending up your partner

Ulises Garcia 06-14-2005 01:08 PM

??.- Wrong Gi, wrong belt and wrong dojo...

Aristeia 06-14-2005 02:21 PM

Uke goes down on their side/back during ikkyo and insteat of trying to get the ikkyo back you just go straight to knee ride.
On irimi nage your nage is leaning over too much in the throw leaving their arm out. The best way you can think of to show them this is bad is to spin to omoplata
In suwari waza kokyu ho as your partner breaks your balance backwards you can't resist the urge to pull guard.
sumi otosi is now just a way to get to the juji gatame.

aikigirl10 06-14-2005 07:41 PM

Saying Japanese greetings to your Shaolin instructor.

CNYMike 06-14-2005 11:04 PM

Quote:

Michael Gallagher wrote:
Ok, my turn to do a "top 10" list.

From the home office in Cortland, New York

Top Ten Signs You Are Doing Too Much Cross Training

10. You keep greeting your Aikido sensei with the Filipino courtesy

Corallary: Your Aikido Sensei exacerbates the problem by having everyone use the academy's supply of Kali sticks to put more "oomph" into shomen uchi practice; you barely manage to bow instead of using the Kali courtesy when he sends you to practice something! (I used my own stick, of course. :p )

9. You catch yourself packing the sarong and sweat pants for Aikido before you leave the house, and switch to the gi.

8. You catch yourself packing your gi for Kali before you leave the house; switch to sarong and sweat pants.

Quote:

7. Your Aikido instructors are always yelling at you for having your rear heal up.
Corallary: You're getting better at keeping your heal down in Aikido, but now you find you have no %$&^%&^%$&^% clue as to when to raise it in Kali (although while throwing a cross is an obvious place).

Quote:

6. There is no number 6. (Monty Python reference.)
Corallary: There is no corrallary to rule 6.

Quote:

Any more?

DustinAcuff 06-15-2005 10:53 PM

While nage is attempting to pin you (when you are supposed to be giving realistic resistance) in Ikkyo you rotate, omoplata nage along with putting on an ankle lock.

Corallary: Your Aikido actually enhances your BJJ.

Inverse to Corallary: Your BJJ cripples your first 5 months of Aikido because you lack the ability to make tegatana and instinctively grab on to and refuse to let go of uke.

CNYMike 06-16-2005 08:28 PM

Don't know why I forgot about this: Your sensei keeps yelling at you for doing a "monkey hand" when you grab when, in fact you're instinctively doing lap sao ("grabbing hand," which doesn't use the thumb). And to make matters worse, it's been years since you've done Wing Chun.

samurai_kenshin 06-30-2005 10:35 PM

you accidently wear your kendo hakama to aikido, even though you're not supposed to wear one yet.

you drive to the kendo dojo on an aikido day.

theflyingheadbuttsuplex 07-25-2005 07:33 PM

Uke performs ushiro nage on you, and you get into the guard position, trip him and figure-4 his leg! :p

You can't doge Munetsuki with tenkan because you're too used to slipping punches.

Rovon 10-25-2005 12:15 PM

When you're demonstrating with your sensei, he says tsuki and you do a thrust kick. (It's happened to me)