AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   aikido and musicians (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714)

j. rose 04-04-2001 03:14 PM

I'm a musician and have been studying aikido for about a year. Though I haven't been injured, sometimes I worry that certain techniques will damage my hands. Any other musician/aikidoists who might know about this?

Steve Speicher 04-04-2001 03:22 PM

Well I'll respond as a fellow musician. I don't know! I never thought about it. I guess a wrist injury would be pretty detrimental to musical practice, but I don't think everyday aikido practice in general will somehow weaken your musical ability. Unless practicing aikido means you aren't practicing your instrument. Anyway, just practice practice practice (aikido and the music). We can form an aiki band and tour the nations of the world, spreading the message of budo in the form of music. Or not.

Steve Speicher 04-04-2001 03:23 PM

I'm not that clever, I stole that idea from Ikeda sensei.

[Censored] 04-04-2001 05:12 PM

Quote:

j. rose wrote:
I'm a musician and have been studying aikido for about a year. Though I haven't been injured, sometimes I worry that certain techniques will damage my hands. Any other musician/aikidoists who might know about this?
I played the sax about 8 years. I have occasionally jammed a finger in practice (sore for a few days), but have never sustained any serious hand damage.

I think working with computers is far more dangerous to my hands, then practicing Aikido.

guest1234 04-04-2001 05:21 PM

i'm not a musician, but need my hands just as much for my job...i'd say other than a combination of errors in a weapons class, your hands are safer than most other sports or activities, in that a) they are usually not what we are working on and b) you can always tap...hard to tap out of jamming a finger in basketball/football/softball or even getting a door slamed on it...you know what is coming in Aikido and how to protect yourself.
and if weapons makes you nervous, i guess you could use a tsuba or even get padded gloves :)

sceptoor 04-04-2001 06:14 PM

Bass player here, I haven't had any problems. At least not with my hands, and besides, I need my hands for work.

Irony 04-04-2001 10:21 PM

Well I used to be a music major (3.5 years) in college, and that was something I worried about when I started aikido. The worst thing that ever happened so far was that a meaner-than-average guy in class smacked one of his hands over my ear in randori and I couldn't hear for half an hour. (I tried very hard not to get pissed) Someone kind of stepped on my hand once but I frantically snatched it away before weight could be applied. Oh, and my fiance smacked me in the lip (I play trumpet and bass, so that was a concern). And yes, it was during aikido practice and not over the dirty state of our apartment :)

Just be careful. Especially if you're going to go pro. A fast randori is not worth sacrificing your art.

By the way, do you think in-depth knowledge of rhythm helps your aikido? Sure does mine.

P.S. Generally, who doesn't use their hands at work? Opera singer? polititian? No, they have to shake hands with everyone...

JJF 04-05-2001 01:29 AM

Hi everybody!

Just like Sceptoor I play bass - just on a hobby basis but we've got a gig on saturday and practice tonight. I don't usually give it a lot of thought, but I guees I will have to be a little bit cautious tonight. Next week by the way we have a full week seminar with Shojii Nishio Sensei and since I often have a hard time concentrating at the end of the week on seminar I might get a few minor injuries. I will have to recover fast however since we got another gig by the end of april :). Just for the record: I have never had any serious injury from Aikido.

Simone 04-05-2001 03:02 AM

Hi there!

I'm playing many different instruments just for fun and had never problems since I started Aikido. In fact, I never thought about that before. Maybe because it's only hobby, as a professional I would be concerned, too. Sometimes my left wrist aikes, but not so much that I cannot play. I also didn't have a major injury from Aikido.

Steve, if you ever go on this "Aiki-tournee" inform me, I'll join you in Europe!!!

I have now food for my thoughts: interplay between music and Aikido. Very interesting!

Simone

JJF 04-06-2001 03:37 AM

Actually I've been wondering if there is some kind of pattern when it comes to Aikido'ists playing an instrument. I have the impression that we are quite a few bass-players, since that instrument requires a stable centered person not unlik Aikido.

Jun: Perhaps this would be a good subject for a poll ;) options could be something like: classical piano, violin, classical guitar, electric guitar, electric bass, drums etc. etc.

Any thoughts on the subject ? anybody ?

Murf 04-19-2001 08:21 AM

Another bass player here,
yep seems to be a lot of us in Aikido, funny thing is I actually find my bass playing has benefited from my Aikido training ie my wrists are now a lot more supple which lets me really fly around the neck, play harder and faster for longer without getting (too) sore, I also find that I can stretch my fingers further as well (handy for playing modal jazz)....

Oh yeah and the biggest benefit is that wrist stretching exercises lower the risk of getting an rsi in later years.

peace

Chocolateuke 04-19-2001 10:14 AM

I used to play the Bagpipes!! it was fun and i never really worried about hand injuries. the only reason I dont play now is that i cant find the time (yes i am lazy!) but oh welll....