AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Columns (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Parsimony (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13688)

R.A. Robertson 12-25-2007 06:38 PM

Parsimony

1 Attachment(s)
Efficient.

Economic.

Conservative, and least invasive.

Reduce your aikido to as close to zero as possible.

Don't move unless you have to. Don't resist movement in the least.

Do not keep your center, do not extend ki.
Become the center, and be the energy.

Don't teach it if it's not necessary to know. Don't believe it if it can't be proven, or known, or shown.

Simplicity is the basis for all complexity. Know root cause, and let complexity branch of its own accord.

Know the difference between the absolutely necessary and the merely useful. Add the useful only after mastering absolute necessity.

Use whatever force is necessary, but just only. Relax as much as you can, but no more. Be neither calm nor fierce.

Do not strike or throw. Do not pin, or lock, or twist or torque.
Neither restrain yourself from action.

Aikido is next to nothing.

Do next to nothing.
Teach next to nothing.
Govern your affairs with next to nothing.

Necessity will cause increase and decrease, extravagance and scarcity. It isn't a question of more or less. It's a question of proportion, harmony, balance.

The balanced equation shows zero difference between left and right.
The two faces of aikido reveal infinite expression, yet follow this mathematical affinity to zero.

Be free from that fulcrum, yet ever close.
Ross Robertson
Still Point Aikido Center
Austin, Texas, USA
http://www.stillpointaikido.com
etaison@stillpointaikido.com
Ross Robertson lives and teaches aikido in Austin, Texas.

SeiserL 12-27-2007 06:46 AM

Re: Parsimony

Osu,
Big to small.
External to internal.
Doing to not doing.
Ah, the journey.
Rei, Domo.

Paulo Barreto 01-28-2008 04:46 AM

Ross,

I must admit that most of your columns, though always interesting, are very much beyond me and require some time to "sink in".

This one however resonated deep inside me. Though I'm very far from the level of which you speak of, i do believe that it is the path to follow.

Thank you for continuing to share your views, and wisdom, with the rest of us.

R.A. Robertson 05-02-2008 12:52 PM

Quote:

Paulo Barreto wrote: (Post 198081)
Ross,

I must admit that most of your columns, though always interesting, are very much beyond me and require some time to "sink in".

This one however resonated deep inside me. Though I'm very far from the level of which you speak of, i do believe that it is the path to follow.

Thank you for continuing to share your views, and wisdom, with the rest of us.

Paulo,

I am truly grateful to you and admire you for continuing to read my work even when you find it difficult. In some ways, I write the way I teach. I never try to deliberately make things hard, but I try not to shy away from things that may be calling us to deep and difficult understandings. I expect my students to do the work, to think about it on their own, and to follow the occasional breadcrumbs that I leave as a trail.

Likewise with my articles, I try my best to make things clear... but the reader is invited to gain more if they are willing to occasionally look to Wikipedia or other resources to reward their curiosity.

Regardless, I am pleased you found something of value here. I notice that you are only one of two who have commented. I suspect you are not so far from this as you think.

Many thanks,

Ross

jducusin 05-03-2008 05:35 PM

Quote:

Teach next to nothing.
I hope then, for the sake of your students, that your fees are directly proportional to this. :D

Chris Parkerson 05-03-2008 09:05 PM

Ross

I love your writings. They leave me with much to meditate on.
like a devotional, they light the path in my silence.

Paulo Barreto 05-06-2008 02:22 AM

Quote:

Ross Robertson wrote: (Post 205286)
Paulo,

I am truly grateful to you and admire you for continuing to read my work even when you find it difficult. In some ways, I write the way I teach. I never try to deliberately make things hard, but I try not to shy away from things that may be calling us to deep and difficult understandings. I expect my students to do the work, to think about it on their own, and to follow the occasional breadcrumbs that I leave as a trail.

Likewise with my articles, I try my best to make things clear... but the reader is invited to gain more if they are willing to occasionally look to Wikipedia or other resources to reward their curiosity.

Regardless, I am pleased you found something of value here. I notice that you are only one of two who have commented. I suspect you are not so far from this as you think.

Many thanks,

Ross

Ross,

Thank you for your reply.

I've long since accepted that Aikido is hard to get, and that i really don't get it ;). It's a feeling that tends to grow the longer i practice, and my perceptions of what i am, and should be, doing improve. Which is a nice thing because it keeps me honest about my overall knowledge of Aikido (and skill level).

I must admit that i find very much of value in your columns (the fact that they are challenging and make me think is a welcome one), and those of others, though i am at fault for not commenting more often.

Please keep those articles coming.

Thank you,
- Paulo Barreto

Callista 05-17-2008 08:59 AM

Ross Sensei,

Thank you so much! This is something that I've been exploring for quite some time. How do you accomplish something with the least effort possible?

Domo,