AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Weapons (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Cold Steel Bokken (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18331)

Tatsukage 07-06-2010 08:48 AM

Cold Steel Bokken

I just wanted to say that for a few years now I've been practicing using the cold steel bokken, and I'm in love. They are a plastic like material, but are very sturdy, good weight and balance, and hold up well in any situation. www.coldsteel.com/bokkens.html Opinions? Comments?

Lyle Laizure 07-06-2010 09:45 AM

Re: Cold Steel Bokken

I have used one of these some time ago and while they are nice for most practice when it comes to sparring they are not ideal. They are too flexible in my opinion.

GMaroda 07-07-2010 09:19 AM

I have them, but haven't used them against someone with a wooden bokken yet. I suppose I should bring them to the dojo and find out.

That said, I like them for practice at home. They have a nice grip and aren't too heavy when getting "fiddly" with movements. Plus I don't have to worry too much about them breaking, getting beat up, or needing treated.

Also, stay away from their "blackthorn stick" made out of the same material. I know some folks who practice fighting with the irish bata and the head is just glued on. It apparently pops off after a couple of wacks.

lbb 07-07-2010 05:20 PM

I've got a white oak bokken that I've had for a long, long time. It gets "beat up" if you mean small dings on the back from hikiotoshi practice, but it's never shown any signs of breaking and it's never needed any kind of treatment. What kind of treatment would I give it?

Michael Hackett 07-07-2010 06:25 PM

Mary,
I think he's referring to the need to periodically re-oil wooden weapons.

GMaroda 07-08-2010 07:50 AM

Oiling is indeed what I refer to. And no, it's not a big deal. I only mention it in relation to the Cold Steel poly-whatever-ine ones.

And I do just mean the dings. I actually like them (it shows you've been training!), but again I mention it in relation to the Cold Steel bokken which don't do that.

I'd still rather have a good wooden one. I have a crap wooden one with a crack in it from it being a poor selection for a bokken and the Cold Steel ones because I wanted to try them and they were on sale.

lbb 07-08-2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

Michael Hackett wrote: (Post 260797)
Mary,
I think he's referring to the need to periodically re-oil wooden weapons.

I've never done this or needed to.

Tatsukage 07-08-2010 11:15 AM

Indeed, I like the not having to oil factor. And although the blackthorn stick isn't ideal for training, it makes an excellent walking stick. My father uses it all the time. (although he had to trim and replace the end because he's a little shorter then most who buy it :-\)