AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Non-Aikido Martial Traditions (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Kote Gaeshi (Aiki-no-jitsu) in a double stick Eskrima Fight (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21345)

Chris Parkerson 05-18-2012 11:52 AM

Kote Gaeshi (Aiki-no-jitsu) in a double stick Eskrima Fight

In this video, during round 3, Shawn Schulte (white stockings) loses one of his sticks.
He presses his opponent Nathan Curley and with a light touch, collects Curley's radial and ulna bones, locking them and Curley's shoulder, connects to Curley's base and drops him all in 1/4 second. Kite Gaeshi Aiki-no-jitsu style.

This was no accident. Shawn is an amazing athlete and has won or placed second every time he competes. Why do I know this was no accident? He is my training partner and a good friend. I worked with him for 5 years developing this and other techniques with the specific objective of making soft throwing real in confrontations involving weapons.

I hope you all enjoy the bout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE49g...e_gdata_player

graham christian 05-18-2012 02:31 PM

Re: Kote Gaeshi (Aiki-no-jitsu) in a double stick Eskrima Fight

Hi Chris.
Never seen double stick eskrima contest before so was all new and interesting to me. Not knowing any of the rules then all I can say is it looked fun.

The move you mention was very recognisable though and done very well. I especially liked the the pre, tai sabaki and then followed by turning back with the kotegaeshi. It was quite smooth actually I thought.

Nice to see.

Peace.G.

Chris Parkerson 05-18-2012 02:49 PM

Shawn in a kinesthetic player. He is near blind without glasses and chooses to fight without them.
He has learned a basic skill John Clodig taught me, that is to feel the opponent's full structure (even the bottom of his feet) from your hands and hara while in motion.

All of the actions, sequencing, forces and connections I have mentioned in other posts are present in this quarter second. He used no grip to make it happen. He used frictional guidance and body positioning to obtain kuzushi.

I asked Nathan how he experienced it right after the bout. He was obviously hyped up. He swore he had lost his footing and slipped on his own. He never felt it coming.

graham christian 05-18-2012 03:39 PM

That makes it even better. I don't like giving criticisms on others and tend instead to look for the pluses.
On my reading I would see about six pluses in that one motion. Very nice.

It even seemed more 'him'.

Peace.G.

Chris Parkerson 05-18-2012 04:53 PM

Well,
That was 5 years of training about 20 specific principles into his body memory.
That was two years ago.

ush 06-14-2012 05:48 AM

He could have have done all you said for the throw, but from the video I really can't see anything out of the ordinary.

Also reminds me of why I stay away from WEKAF Armour.

Chris Parkerson 06-14-2012 06:18 AM

Quote:

Oisín Ó Ceallaigh wrote: (Post 310896)
He could have have done all you said for the throw, but from the video I really can't see anything out of the ordinary.

Also reminds me of why I stay away from WEKAF Armour.

I also have issues with wearing armor. I prefer the Dog Brother's style approach. You respect the stick that way. Shawn and I became fast friends and training partners when I first came to Ohio. We did this by using no armor and light bamboo sticks. Our bout lasted 35 seconds.

I really cannot comment as to why you cannot see how intricate that kote gaeshi was. Perhaps is was just the camera angle... But for the opponent to debrief with me that he believes he tripped speaks volumes. I was very proud of Shawn's growth in Yanagi principles of martial technique.

Be well,

Chris

ush 06-14-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Chris Parkerson wrote: (Post 310897)
I also have issues with wearing armor. I prefer the Dog Brother's style approach. You respect the stick that way. Shawn and I became fast friends and training partners when I first came to Ohio. We did this by using no armor and light bamboo sticks. Our bout lasted 35 seconds.

I really cannot comment as to why you cannot see how intricate that kote gaeshi was. Perhaps is was just the camera angle... But for the opponent to debrief with me that he believes he tripped speaks volumes. I was very proud of Shawn's growth in Yanagi principles of martial technique.

Be well,

Chris

It's the throw at 3:40, and you mean kote gaeshi in the aikido sense of a wrist/forearm lock/throw? It's probably the angle/armour/video quality but it looks like the upper body was pushed over the weighted leg until his balance went, like sumi otoshi or similar I guess. When you're really nailed with that sorta throw it can feel like your leg was whipped out from under you. It could be very well be far more sophisticated and intricate than that.

Chris Parkerson 06-14-2012 09:42 AM

In Yanagi, we take the meaning of Kote as "forearm". It has to do with softly locking up the clavicle and scapulae (and thus affecting the opponents center) by softly rotating the radial and ulna. This action is accomplished using as few as the last 3 fingers of your left hand. There is no leg assist. No reap. As your body closes with the conjunction point, your mass doesn't have to make contact to effect the throw.

It can look like sumi otosh, but, for me, sumi is about using the humerus bone to contact with the center rather than the forearm.

Namaste,

Chris