AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   What's the Irish situation? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9824)

Lnr 02-15-2006 06:38 AM

What's the Irish situation?

Hi,

I've just started training in Aikido and only since I've left Ireland so i was wondering if there was anyone here who could give me an idea of the situation at home at the moment. I'm across the water for the next while but i'd like a li'l info if anyone could provide. I've heard of a few places, but not actually gone anywhere at home... mostly coz im not there.

If anyone is training in Ireland, probably Dublin is most interesting to me but all over really could you let me know?

Nick Simpson 02-15-2006 06:49 AM

Re: What's the Irish situation?

Hello. Ian Dodkins is possibly the man to talk to, looks like his dojo his in ulster though? Theres also a dojo search engine on here somewhere Eleanor...

ian 02-15-2006 07:04 AM

Thanks for the intro Nick. Yep, I'm in the north (but from England originally). Not many clubs up here, but there are loads in Dublin. I think on the whole that the clubs in Ireland mix together frequently and you get a bit of a 'one happy family' feel in most clubs. Although I train in the (far) north I often go down Galway (for a summer school), and have also been to courses in Dublin and Sligo.

I think the club you'd prefer would very much depend on what you are used to at the moment.

Here is the aikido in Ireland web-site which lists almost all the clubs in Ireland:

http://www.aikidoinireland.org/

Good luck with your training, and if you are ever up in the Coleraine area you're welcome to drop in!

Ian

Nick Simpson 02-15-2006 07:16 AM

No probs Ian. Forgive me If Im wrong but did you train with Shane Riley in the past? Or am I thinking of someone else/making that up? As for the one happy family thing, thatwould be nice over here...

Lnr 02-15-2006 07:19 AM

hey Nick, Yeah hear seams to be a bit ..."complicated". Why can't you all just get along!!!
Sounds good for home though, thanks a mil Ian

Lnr

Nick Simpson 02-15-2006 07:21 AM

''Why can't you all just get along!!!''

Three words: Politics and People.

HAHAHA.

:)

Mark Freeman 02-15-2006 08:25 AM

Quote:

Nick Simpson wrote:
''Why can't you all just get along!!!''

Three words: Politics and People.

HAHAHA.

:)

Politics don't exist without people, so you could probably cut it down to one word - People.

" Minimum effort, maximum efficiency"

HA! :D

Nick Simpson 02-15-2006 08:28 AM

Probably.

Chad Scott 02-20-2006 12:40 AM

Irie Sensei from Hombu will be visiting Ireland Aikikai beginning Feb. 23. I don't know any more details. It should be awesome, though!

Lnr 02-20-2006 05:59 AM

Quote:

Chad Scott wrote:
Irie Sensei from Hombu will be visiting Ireland Aikikai beginning Feb. 23.

Do you know how long the visit will be?

Lnr

Dazzler 02-20-2006 06:59 AM

Quote:

Eleanor Higgins wrote:

If anyone is training in Ireland, probably Dublin is most interesting to me but all over really could you let me know?

John Rogers has a club in Dublin based at the Uni.

Well - actually it was 2 clubs, one for students and one for real people :D .

I trained there on a visit a few years ago and would do so again if I get the chance.

Might be worth checking out...I think John is Head of I A F for his sins so should be easy to pick up in a search.

Cheers

D

ian 02-20-2006 10:06 AM

I suppose politics can be compared to having a shower with your mates after aikido - there aren't any problems between most people but you always get a few yobs running around with a towel whipping peoples arses because they feel they aren't getting enough attention. I'd say in general, Ireland (inc. Northern) is a much less violent society than England anyway, but I don't live in Belfast. I suppose young men pretty much everywhere have the same amount of testosterone - just depends on whether you give 'em guns or knives and also what justification for fighting they are given.

Excuse the completely misplaced metaphore. Anyway, Yes Nick - I did train under Shane (my 1st instructor). He's popped over here a couple of times but I keep missing him. I used to go up to your neck of the woods myself for courses and trained with a few of them up there.. the good old days eh?

Chad Scott 02-20-2006 07:29 PM

Quote:

Eleanor Higgins wrote:
Do you know how long the visit will be?

Lnr

Well, it's a four-nation visit, so Irie Sensei is going to Ireland, Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia. The total length of the trip is about two weeks.

Ireland is his first stop. I'm assuming he will be at Ireland Aikikai for only a few days.

markwalsh 02-21-2006 03:59 AM

I once heard that Ireland had has as many aikido organizations as clubs - I don't think this is quite true - but it's not far off!

Lnr 02-21-2006 05:57 AM

I've heard of John Rogers, He's supposed to be really good from what i've heard, but a bit of a maniac... :D So i was thinking of going there when i get back. He looks to have clubs all over the country actually so seams to be the one to go for. Thanks Daren.

It's a shame Irie Sensei won't be around longer i'm actually gonna be home this weekend but probly won't have time to go and train. Oh well maybe next time.

Yeah, em Ian i dunno about Ireland being less voilent...in general i think people here are a bit calmer, but maybe Dublin is not the norm for the rest of the country, and i guess maybe quiet li'l Durham is not the norm either. I don't ever feel scared here but i often do at home, I think there's a very different energy here to at home and it can be very oppressive. It stifels people, well me anyway sometimes. It's old and heavy. Here seams lighter and easier somehow. I deffinitly wouldn't say it's less voilent.

Lnr

Nick Simpson 02-21-2006 06:04 AM

'Anyway, Yes Nick - I did train under Shane (my 1st instructor). He's popped over here a couple of times but I keep missing him. I used to go up to your neck of the woods myself for courses and trained with a few of them up there.. the good old days eh?'

I thought so. Glad Im not going mad (Madder). I was over Northern Ireland with him last June, but it was just a small trip to some Karate folks and I cant even remember the name of the place we went to. I dont want to generalise or say anything derogatory about anyones country/town/city but I didnt really enjoy what I saw/experianced and It would take a hell of a lot to get me back to Northern Ireland...

Saying that Durham has it's dark side (as does everywhere), especially if your a student or stick out like a sore thumb in any other way...

Lnr 02-21-2006 07:08 AM

Yup some of the north is well dodge, but I've been in nice bits.