AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   What is the atmosphere in your dojo like? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23451)

Peter Boylan 02-27-2014 03:26 PM

What is the atmosphere in your dojo like?

Is the atmosphere one of smiles, laughter and joy? Or is is harsh and tough? I believe that good dojo is filled will laughter and joy. I've been busy writing this week, so here's another blog already, on Laughter and Joy In the Dojo.

http://budobum.blogspot.com/2014/02/...y-in-dojo.html

SteveTrinkle 02-27-2014 04:33 PM

Re: What is the atmosphere in your dojo like?

primarily oxygen and nitrogen and some carbon dioxide

Krystal Locke 02-28-2014 05:32 AM

Quote:

Stephen Trinkle wrote: (Post 335582)
primarily oxygen and nitrogen and some carbon dioxide

That, and some complex hydrocarbon fumes from the mechanic next door. High humidity from sweat.

Worked a concert a while back, the crowd was so big and boisterous and the ceiling was so high that it actually rained sweat. That was a truly awesome show.

BJohnston 02-28-2014 09:59 AM

Positive. Laughter and joy is certainly a part of that.

GMaroda 03-02-2014 06:46 AM

Weird. :D

JP3 03-02-2014 11:06 AM

Lots of laughter and smiles, mixed in with comments about how frightenly damaging the aikido/aikijutsu techniques can be if: A) performed thoughtlessly for safety in the dojo; or B) needed for a survival incident.

Janet Rosen 03-02-2014 12:54 PM

We often laugh. I would not be happy at a scowling dojo.

Edgecrusher 03-07-2014 10:31 AM

The atmosphere is real relaxed and family-like in the sense that we are a small collective. We like to discuss current events during pre-warm-up and warm-up. Once we are on the mat and bowed in, it's on.

TomAiki 03-07-2014 03:38 PM

One of a second family ��

jdm4life 03-11-2014 06:58 PM

A very easy going environment. I would like to see a little more formal discipline with regards to etiquette but I guess it depends on the teacher. Its much better than the karate dojo ive been to which was almost a joke.

Tim Gerrard 03-12-2014 04:40 AM

Very focused, very little talking, no laughter. You're here to train. If you want to chat, find another club.

I know that many people wouldn't like it, but it suits us!

Currawong 03-12-2014 04:59 AM

The dojo manner is very relaxed (the formality is there, but inherent in the culture as much as the standard manners) and everyone is both smiling and focussed. The sensei is always visibly thinking how best to pair everyone up to get the most out of training, including the weird foreigner that just joined.

Adam Huss 03-12-2014 07:02 PM

Quote:

Tim Gerrard wrote: (Post 335806)
Very focused, very little talking, no laughter. You're here to train. If you want to chat, find another club.

I know that many people wouldn't like it, but it suits us!

I enjoy that training to a certain extent. My teacher tried that when he first opened his dojo in the 80's. He had about six, really, really, talented students but just couldn't maintain it and was concerned the atmosphere was non-inclusive for a lot of people, thus the benefits of aikido would not be available to many...so he figured out a mid-ground approach.

I really enjoy intensive training - I think it works really well for an intensive course or class/es.

I was at a seminar with a prominent sword instructor. Very kind and experienced teacher. Someone asked him a non-martial arts related question. He kindly motioned the student to follow him off the mat. They bowed out, got off the mat and discussed the question asked, him explaining the mat was for training only, and not unrelated talk.

David Norton 03-14-2014 08:18 AM

Fun, but respectful.

But that's just my opinion. I'd like to hear what my students (and visitors) think.