AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Aikidoka in Oklahoma? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5413)

Shakahl 04-24-2004 07:14 PM

Aikidoka in Oklahoma?

According to the dojo search on Aikiweb, there are only one or two Aikido dojos in the area, I know I've at least seen four of them. The question I have is: Does anyone else practice in the S.OKC area besides me? And where do you train? I'm just trying to make some local contacts. THanks for any replys you have.

aikilouis 04-25-2004 02:19 PM

Re: Aikidoka in Oklahoma?

Aiki Okie ?

Greg Jennings 04-26-2004 05:45 AM

Matt,

Some of the aikido groups keep largely to themselves. It's early and I haven't had my caffeine yet, but I seem to remember that one of those groups is active in your area. Their website, http://www.karlgeis.com/ appears to be down.

Best regards,

J. David Geurkink 04-26-2004 07:04 AM

Hello Matt,

I have encountered the same problem that you have right now. A few month ago, I was looking at a job in SW Oklahoma and part of my reason for turning it down was the fact that there was no Aikido dojo within 2 hrs. drive. There are several Karl Geis-affiliated dojos in the Oklahoma City and Tulsa area and a few other dojos of varous affiliations sprinkled through the northern part of the state. If you want a USAF or ASU dojo, the closest ones are in either Denton or Dallas. Hey, let me know if you start your own dojo, and I'll come practice when I come up to visit my family :D Good luck in your dojo hunt! :cool:

David

roninja 04-28-2004 01:57 AM

ohayhayhayhayoooooo,
ON the subject of Aikido schools in Oklahoma. and more exactly the metro area. I have heard of a possible four, but only specifically three Aikido schools in the city. There's Windsong, then there's some place off 23 out by portland I think, and then there's a place on Council, and i don't know if cactus jack's (the arcade place or whatever) is on council but if it is not, then there is another aikido place across the street from cactus jack's. if cactus jack's is on council then I have only heard of three actual schools or dojos. waiiiiiiiiit, I've also heard that Redlands fencing teaches a little Aikido. and I just looked up cactus jack's and it's on council. So anyway, Windsong Dojo is now a KiHara School, from what I hear. I don't know about the place on 23 but I'm thinking that it might be Fugakukai, and then the place on council, I think, is Jiyushin-kai. As for me, I study Aikido at UCO with the UCO Budo Society. Our Head Sensei is Cori. I don't know his last name or him, very well. He more watches over the Sensei's who watch over me. So anyway, I don't really remember what the post was about other than Aikido in Oklahoma and then schools in the metro. Also, I think that OU, OSU, UCO all have a Aikido groups. I could be wrong on OU and OSU, but OSU, used to have one at least. Anyway, Amitabha :ai:

Shakahl 04-29-2004 04:00 PM

Ok, Thanks for the input guys, I haven't checked with any of the universities to see if they have Aikido clubs. Do you think they'll let a student from a different college join their club?

Here's the subtle question I was trying to ask in conjunction with the first one. Is anyone in the S. OKC/Moore area that would like to work out? I have a beautiful empty lot across the street from my house, (the grass is pretty soft) Anyways I'm willing to throw/be thrown around in an informal setting as well.
Any Takers? :)

KPatton 10-19-2004 11:00 AM

The Windsong Dojo in OKC run by Sensei Nick Lowry is a Fugakukai (aka Karl Geis Ryu) school. The aikido taught at OSU at Stillwater is also Fugakukai. I believe Fugakukai is also taught in Tulsa and there is a Rokudan in Enid. Don't know if he teaches.

Chuck Clark 10-20-2004 03:23 PM

You also would do well to look into David Martin, the chief instructor at Shobu Aiki Dojo. They practice in the southern part of OKC. His email is: davidsmartin@hotmail.com

There was a seminar in Dallas last weekend and David and many of his students were there and they are a pure pleasure to train with.

Gambatte!

ronin 47 03-29-2009 09:13 PM

Hi, I teach at the Sen Shin Kan Dojo in okc. We are located on nw23rd street and portland. We have classes monday and wednesday from 7:00p.m. to 8:30p.m and we have a saturday class from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Come check us out anytime. We teach hombu and tomiki styles and we throw a little judo and jujitsu in from time to time.

lifeafter2am 03-29-2009 09:48 PM

Quote:

Ryan Robison wrote: (Post 227415)
Hi, I teach at the Sen Shin Kan Dojo in okc. We are located on nw23rd street and portland. We have classes monday and wednesday from 7:00p.m. to 8:30p.m and we have a saturday class from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Come check us out anytime. We teach hombu and tomiki styles and we throw a little judo and jujitsu in from time to time.

You do realize that this post is almost 5 years old right? :p

Neal Dunnigan 02-17-2015 07:01 AM

Northwest of Oklahoma City, in Kingfisher, is Wheatbelt Aikido, an Aikikai-style school. See: www.WheatbeltAikido.com/ or www.Facebook.com/WheatbeltAikido for more information.

JP3 03-15-2015 01:09 PM

Nick Lowry's Windsong Dojo in OKC is still going strong.

www.windsongdojo.com

Janet Rosen 03-15-2015 03:49 PM

ELEVEN YEAR OLD QUERY. I guess he either found a dojo or gave up.

JP3 03-15-2015 06:15 PM

Quote:

Janet Rosen wrote: (Post 342881)
ELEVEN YEAR OLD QUERY. I guess he either found a dojo or gave up.

Yeah Janet, I noted that myself, but also saw the most recent post so thought... "People still don't know where Nick's place is..."

Janet Rosen 03-15-2015 09:31 PM

Quote:

John Powell wrote: (Post 342885)
Yeah Janet, I noted that myself, but also saw the most recent post so thought... "People still don't know where Nick's place is..."

:) I just wish it wasn't one of the most expensive places to fly to from here! Darn interesting seminars.

JP3 03-20-2015 05:39 PM

Southwest Airlines is the shiznit.