AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Aikido in everyday life (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13960)

Jamie_Macc 02-16-2008 04:20 AM

Aikido in everyday life

Hey guys, Ive been doing aikido for 7years now, granted im only 16 going on 17 but its still seven years.

When i walk anywhere or get the bus or people walk ast me in the street, i always thik how i could use aikido to evade attacks and of course use aikido to pin an opponent etc.

I was just wondering if this happens to anyone else or im just suffering from not training enough.

Many Thanks

Jamie

SeiserL 02-16-2008 06:07 AM

Re: Aikido in everyday life

Nope, sounds like you have trained enough to begin to generalize and mentally rehearse outside the dojo. Compliments.

Now that you are thinking about the physical attacks, begin to think about the subtle verbal attacks and manipulation (especially by the media and society).

Kevin Leavitt 02-16-2008 09:23 AM

Nothing wrong with that. Awareness is important. Visualizing things on the street is an important part of practice.

I think you have to be careful though. Moderation is key.

Don Qiuote (sp) comes to mind. Also something about a "hammer and the world is your nail".

We can whip ourselves up into such delusion that we think violence is everywhere around us and we must constantly be on the offense, always ready to attack.

Anyway, it is good, as long as we look at both sides, the good and the bad in the world.

James Davis 02-18-2008 10:40 AM

Playing "What if" is good, in my opinion. I do it all the time, especially when I'm driving.

David Yap 02-19-2008 12:49 AM

Quote:

Jamie Kenyon wrote: (Post 199326)
Hey guys, Ive been doing aikido for 7years now, granted im only 16 going on 17 but its still seven years.

When i walk anywhere or get the bus or people walk ast me in the street, i always thik how i could use aikido to evade attacks and of course use aikido to pin an opponent etc.

I was just wondering if this happens to anyone else or im just suffering from not training enough.

Many Thanks

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

I think it is quite normal considering during our "Beer and Misogi" sessions we heard from "ole men" of 40s and 50s having your same thoughts. You just need to draw the line between being aware and being paranoid.

If you start to hear a voice telling you to do a ken-dori on an old lady holding an umbrella at the bus-stop. That will be worrying:D

Happy training...

David Y

Jamie_Macc 02-19-2008 10:34 AM

Quote:

David Yap wrote: (Post 199493)
Hi Jamie,

If you start to hear a voice telling you to do a ken-dori on an old lady holding an umbrella at the bus-stop. That will be worrying:D

David Y

LOL, im not this far gone, yet!! But its good to hear some humor on this thread!!
Thanks guys

mathewjgano 02-19-2008 01:15 PM

Quote:

Kevin Leavitt wrote: (Post 199336)
We can whip ourselves up into such delusion that we think violence is everywhere around us and we must constantly be on the offense, always ready to attack.

HEY! Just what do you mean by THAT!?:D

Jamie, I particularly like the kind of training you're describing. It works on your casual awareness (as opposed to the focused awareness we practice on the mat, if that makes any sense). In my opinion, this is the kind of awareness that counts in a self defense situation. Kevin makes a good point that it's important not to let paranoia fuel this kind of behavior. I think, like good Aikiwaza, it should flow relaxedly.
Cheers!
Matt

Stefan Stenudd 02-25-2008 06:13 PM

Dreaming aikido

When I started to practice aikido, long ago, I even dreamed about it, doing aikido techniques in my sleep, and so on. When I was awake, I thought about it constantly.
To some extent, I still do.

I don't think that it is an aikido thing, particularly, but an effect of being passionate about something.
What really intrigues me is that this passion remains, year after year. Most things in life lack that lasting attraction.

To me, aikido is an art. That is why it continues to fascinate. Ars longa, vita brevis. Art is long, while life is short.