AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   More Stance ?'s. (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1092)

cbrf4zr2 08-16-2001 09:06 PM

More Stance ?'s.

I notice that I tend to set up "backwards" in my hanmi stance. I'm right handed and I set up with my right foot forward. Now I notice that most/all other righties set up left foot forward. I know in boxing you set up that way because you want your "knockout punch" to be your 'strong hand.' I notice that a lot of people in various arts, including Aikido, will naturally set up with their 'weak' foot forward - 'strong' hand back like a boxer.

My question is what hand is your predominantly strong hand and which foot do you set up with forward (if any) and why do you think you set up that way?

guest1234 08-16-2001 09:28 PM

since we alternate sides, I'm wondering if you mean with which side do we prefer to start? Or if we are just standing around not on the mat, which side do we favor?

cbrf4zr2 08-16-2001 09:38 PM

Let's say you are doing jiyu waza or randori - what side do you tend to set up with forward?

You aren't practicing slowly and thinking about alternating sides...what side do you tend to favor/ tend to set up in?

I thought the question was fairly simple and self explanetory - leave it to a woman to make it so difficult :D

guest1234 08-16-2001 10:36 PM

Oh yeah? Come on out and say that!:p
...here Colleen pushes away her walker and looks for her cane :D

My first dojo stressed for beginners to start in L hamni, for a variety of reasons, one of them being less confusion and maximizing practice time...seniors didn't have the same restrictions but I didn't last that long...

So I have a subconcious habit of starting in L hamni and alternating L-R-L-R without really thinking about it. On the positive side, I never do the same side twice in sankyo or nikyo, and I always do both sides on tests...

Erik 08-17-2001 12:10 AM

Re: More Stance ?'s.

Quote:

Originally posted by cbrf4zr2
My question is what hand is your predominantly strong hand and which foot do you set up with forward (if any) and why do you think you set up that way?
Right is absolutely the strong side. Ole Thunder would do just fine but alas Lightning is more on par with one of those flashing little Xmas tree lights.

I think I'm neutral on the set up as both felt fine just now although each wanted to do different things. I wanted to enter more with my right foot forward and blend more with my left foot forward.

JJF 08-17-2001 02:53 AM

A little bit of this - a little bit of that. Usually I start out with right hamni but if uke comes in with a dedicated attack in a way that requires left hamni, I switch and do it that way (if I have enough time)
Never really gave it much thought though.

lt-rentaroo 08-17-2001 07:56 AM

Hello,

I've never really given this much thought, as I've found it depends on what type of attack Uke will be executing and what technique I will do. But, now that I think about it; I would say that I tend to favor a right hanmi stance (I'm right handed also). Perhaps I do this because I began my martial arts training in Wing Chun Kung Fu and I was taught to put my best foot / hand forward (something also seen in Jeet Kun Do). I've found that atemi is much more easily controlled and executed in this manner, at least for me. Have a good day!