AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Warabi Dojo (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8237)

WW-squared 05-31-2005 07:01 PM

Warabi Dojo

Hi all,
I was wondering if anybody here on the forum has trained at the Warabi dojo in Saitama, Japan?

My original plan was to go to the Aikikai Hombu but I've enjoyed training in the Nishio system up to this point that I would like to continue doing it.

I've had no luck finding a home page for the Warabi dojo. So for those out there who have trained there, can you tell me what the schedule is like. Is there a beginners class or is it all mixed into one? What are the fees like?

Thanks,
Wil

Bunzel 06-03-2005 02:54 AM

Re: Warabi Dojo

Hi

I know this post is probably too late for your case. But in case other people are looking for Warabi Dojo then here is the information:

Warabi Dojo is located in Warabi Shimin Taiiku Kan approx. 15mins walk from the west exit of Warabi station on the Keihin Tohoku line. (If anyone needs it I can mail you a map).

Classes are Friday from 19:00 - 20:30 and Sunday from 09:00 - 13:00

There are no specific classes for beginners - everyone practise together.

Arisue sensei is teaching on Sundays, while Yamada sensei/Tanaka sensei teach on Fridays.

Nishio sensei used to teach the Friday classes at Warabi.

It is an excellent place to practise and all people there are just great.

Brgds

Jan

JJF 06-03-2005 03:06 AM

Hi!

Well Jan - if it is too late for Wilfred then it's just right for me - As you know I'm planning my first trip to Japan, and I'll be going there in the end of september for the all Japan seminar. Also hope to catch a few classes with Arisue sensei.

Are there only classes on friday and sunday? It's the same hours Iwakata san told me during the easter seminar, but I assumed there would be other possibilities. Otherwise I'll go practice with Shishiya sensei in his dojo. Might as well get som practice done while I'm there ;)

BTW - I'll be happy to get that map if you can find it...

See you!

Bunzel 06-03-2005 03:58 AM

Hi Jorgen

Yes, I got the map. Drop me an email and I will reply with the map included.

Yes, practise is only twice a week in Warabi besides that it is a good idea to visit Shishiya sensei's dojo and also do visit Hombu Dojo for a practise whenever possible ;)

See you.

WW-squared 06-05-2005 11:42 PM

Hi Jan, thanks for your reply and the schedule. I was slightly surprised at the low frequency of training at Warabi. I thought it being the Nishio Honbu, it would have practice sessions everyday.

Jorgen would you be able to tell me where Shishiya's dojo is?
thanks,
Wil

Bunzel 06-06-2005 12:48 AM

Hi Wil

Earlier Nishio sensei used to travel around visiting different dojos during the week on a regular schedule within the Tokyo and Yokohama area but in the later years he cut down on the number of dojos visited during a week on regular basis, however he continued to teach in Warabi dojo untill his health no longer permitted it.

JJF 06-06-2005 02:12 AM

Hi Jan

Thank you for your offer - I'll drop you a mail (in danish ;))

Wilfred: In about five weeks I'll probably know a little more as I will be going to a seminar with Shishiya sensei in july (Kiel in Germany). He has allready answered a mail from me where he confirmed my wish to practice with him in Japan, but at the camp I hope to get a little more detailed info.

The best I can do for you right now is to show you to his homepage:

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~bk2i-ssy/

In the Japanese section there are some maps - I'm not able to read them but maybe they can be a help for you.

I find his Aikido really nice and allthough he has his own take on some of the techniques he is still rather faithful to the aikido of Nishio sensei. At least as far as I can judge. I am particularely fond of his aiki-toho and his ken-tai-ken/ken-tai-jo. Oh year - and he is really keen on suwari-waza and hamni-handachi. Lot's of fun, good for the spirit and very tough on the knees ;)

It seems like they practice every wedensday, thursday, friday saturday and allmost every monday so there is plenty of opportunity to get thrown around a bit :D It combines well with Arisou senseis practice in Warabi on sunday. Friday you will have to choose....

See you!