AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   I am alive (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19513)

nuxie 02-28-2011 10:02 PM

I am alive

I am not sure what is going on with me but dag gonnit I feel like I have come alive. I have been training for seven months now, and for some reason I feel like I am wayyy more excited about training now then I have been so far. I mean do not get me wrong I have been hooked from the first class and haven't missed one yet. For some reason though this past week I feel like I am just full of energy and I feel like I could just explode if I don't get some of that energy out. I am not talking about being hyper I am talking about like this big ball of light has just hit me right in the forehead and I have awaken. It is like a fire has been lit and i am just glowing.

Ok sounds corny right. I don't know what is going on with me. All I want to do is train. I am finding little to no satisfaction in training by myself. Fortunately on a good week I get to train 4 days a week for at least a total of 7 hours. On a bad week I get to train for a total of 4 hours.. Now though I am hungry for more. HA.

so has this happened to other people when they first started training ? did one day it just go " bing' and you felt like you couldn't get enough? Where you felt like you could train until you were so out of breath and then go back for some more...

Now I know that training in modesty is good for me blah blah blah
but I just can't help this feeling HA.

So any suggestions on how I can do a little training on my own to get some of this energy out?

You tube videos and books just are not cutting it anymore.
I am very seriously thinking about taking up IIado as well.
:p

Oh and I don't drink coffee so I am pretty sure that isn't it...

Eva Antonia 03-01-2011 01:17 AM

Re: I am alive

Dear Mary,

what you describe is pretty much like I feel...since three years or so. I think it's a sort of addiction. I'm also one of those who miss no training, who find a dojo in any place of the world where I go for work or holidays, who plans missions according to training schedule and who falls into a middle to deep depression on days like today...still 36 hours to wait for the next aikido lesson.

There is always the option to go to seminars :D ...that's what I did on Sunday when I couldn't suffer the aikido gap between Saturday and Monday.

But if it's "only" to get the energy out - what about doing suburi suburi suburi until your arms fall off?

Wish you much luck,

Eva

Michael Varin 03-01-2011 03:16 AM

Mary,

I liked aikido very much from my first class, but somewhere around the two month marked is where I became hooked. I was lucky to have a full-time dojo in my area with a high level instructor. From that point I trained in every class, 6 days a week for 15 total hours. I put in plenty of hours at home going over foot work and weapons. I refused to miss a class and definitely felt that aikido high. I was convinced that my performance declined over the weekend, because we only had one class on Saturday!

After about nine months, I was sidelined for six weeks by a separated shoulder (Although I never like them, I learned a lot during this and every subsequent injury I have had!). I still came to the dojo almost every day to watch class.

Not long after that, my sensei asked me to become an uchi deshi. I dropped out of college and everything in my life to move into the dojo! (Don't worry I graduated.) For the next year I trained between 25 to 30 hours per week, and was totally immersed in aikido. Toward the end of this period is when I first took on teaching responsibilities… Mostly in children's class, which was a major learning experience. My period as uchi deshi culminated in my shodan exam.

It was really a great experience. I have fond memories.

In retrospect the aikido high is funny to me. Aikido is and has been for so long an important part of my life that it would be silly for me to have that reaction. But at the same time the art continues to amaze me, and I feel a much deeper connection to it today.

Laurel Seacord 03-01-2011 05:36 AM

Yes, it is like aikido is something I had been searching for for a very long time, and I finally found it.

As my teachers are careful to ask us, what is the purpose of our study? In my case, to be useful to those around me. So I do not suspect my motives in practicing eight to twelve hours a week!

Shadowfax 03-01-2011 06:57 AM

Yup I know that feeling very well. :D

Been training for going on two years. Missing a class is not an option. I rearranged my work schedule just so I can make every class a few months after I started.. When I had to skip two this winter due to unsafe driving conditions I was pretty unhappy just missed the one year mark since the last time I missed a class. I think since I started training full time I have only missed about 4 classes.

I have found that sometimes visiting another dojo in the area when my own does not have classes is a good experience. Something you might talk to your sensei about. Seminars are great fun as well.

Fortunately I have a lot to keep me busy on non-aikido days so I don't get the itch too too bad. But yeah my first thought when I woke up this morning was, it's an aikido day!

LOL My friends have pretty much gotten used to the fact that the only things I really ever have on my mind are aikido and horses. Even some of my fellow aikidoka in the dojo seem to think I'm a bit obsessive.

I spent enough years feeling lost and stuck and not knowing where to go next. Aikido has been a great key in helping me to discover who I am and how to be ok and even really happy for perhaps the first time in my life. When you get thrown a lifeline like that,. you hang onto it tight. :)

lbb 03-01-2011 08:08 AM

Life's full of good things. Aikido is one of them -- an important one, but not the only one.

Amir Krause 03-01-2011 08:33 AM

Be careful not to over-dose and burn your desire too fast.

Amir

Tony Wagstaffe 03-01-2011 08:38 AM

You could send me some of what you are getting? ;)

SeiserL 03-01-2011 10:33 AM

With open eyes, mind, and heart its a very exciting journey.

Pauliina Lievonen 03-01-2011 10:54 AM

About "burning too fast" - I trained 4-5 times a week when I first started. I was just in love with it.

Still at it 11 years later. I don't train as much nowadays but I do keep a steady routine.

So I'd say, if you feel like training a lot, and you have the time to do it, just go ahead and make use of the opportunity and the energy that you have!

Pauliina

guest1234567 03-01-2011 12:02 PM

I enjoy it too very much, if there are no more aikido classes around your pIace I would suggest you do some jiujitsu or judo, but if you like iaido more, or it is closer to you place just do that.

sakumeikan 03-01-2011 01:24 PM

Quote:

Cherie Cornmesser wrote: (Post 277920)
Yup I know that feeling very well. :D

Been training for going on two years. Missing a class is not an option. I rearranged my work schedule just so I can make every class a few months after I started.. When I had to skip two this winter due to unsafe driving conditions I was pretty unhappy just missed the one year mark since the last time I missed a class. I think since I started training full time I have only missed about 4 classes.

I have found that sometimes visiting another dojo in the area when my own does not have classes is a good experience. Something you might talk to your sensei about. Seminars are great fun as well.

Fortunately I have a lot to keep me busy on non-aikido days so I don't get the itch too too bad. But yeah my first thought when I woke up this morning was, it's an aikido day!

LOL My friends have pretty much gotten used to the fact that the only things I really ever have on my mind are aikido and horses. Even some of my fellow aikidoka in the dojo seem to think I'm a bit obsessive.

I spent enough years feeling lost and stuck and not knowing where to go next. Aikido has been a great key in helping me to discover who I am and how to be ok and even really happy for perhaps the first time in my life. When you get thrown a lifeline like that,. you hang onto it tight. :)

Cherie,
Get a life!!! You arei n danger of becoming an aiki junkie.Been ther , got the tee shirt , fun at the time but now I wish I had smelt the the flower rather than spent all my time doing Aikido.The horses are better company. Cheers, Joe

nuxie 03-01-2011 08:20 PM

Wowsa! Thanks so much for the responses. I thought people were going to think I was a bit to ambitious or a tad silly. I don't tend to burn out too easily. I have been in some form of martial arts for about 10 years now. One way or another. I don't recall feeling this hooked on any particular style like I am with Aikido. I am also addicted to other things... ( raising my son, geology, retro computers etc.) I feel equally about those things as I now do about Aikido. It is another thing that I wish to pursue with my full ability.

there is another dojo one hour away that I go an train on saturdays whenever i can. I do plan to pick up IIado this summer. I am also thinking about putting a mat down in the garage. ( I will have to find a place for my hubbys motorcycle but If I get mats I can fold up then I can move the bike outside when I want to train because that is much easier than moving my rock collection out of the way. )

Either way I am also trying to keep in mind that in between geology field trips, and entertaining my kiddo that the gaps inbetween will be filled with Aikdo... but how cool would it to plan my next GSA meeting around an Aikido seminar... HMM!!

Shadowfax 03-01-2011 08:44 PM

Quote:

Joe Curran wrote: (Post 277975)
Cherie,
Get a life!!! You arei n danger of becoming an aiki junkie.Been ther , got the tee shirt , fun at the time but now I wish I had smelt the the flower rather than spent all my time doing Aikido.The horses are better company. Cheers, Joe

Hahaha! I have a life honest. Horses are fantastic company and a large part of how I make my living. In fact it was horses that led me to aikido. I got into it looking to improve my horsemanship and it has certainly done that.

Horses and aikido are my life. Ive been there done that with lots of things in life. At this point I think it's high time I do things that make me happy, and aikido makes me happy. :)

nuxie 03-01-2011 09:47 PM

Well said Cherie. Like I said I have other addictions.. but since I am on aikiweb lets talk about Aikido!! Whoot Whoot! Even though I couldn't help toss in a little shout out to my other addictions. :) I am so glad to hear that Aikido brings others alive like it does for me.

sakumeikan 03-02-2011 01:08 AM

Quote:

Cherie Cornmesser wrote: (Post 278015)
Hahaha! I have a life honest. Horses are fantastic company and a large part of how I make my living. In fact it was horses that led me to aikido. I got into it looking to improve my horsemanship and it has certainly done that.

Horses and aikido are my life. Ive been there done that with lots of things in life. At this point I think it's high time I do things that make me happy, and aikido makes me happy. :)

Cherie,
I note that you started in 2009.Naturally you are enthusiastic about Aikido. I was equally so, however after over 40 years of practice I look back and think how much time I have devoted to the Art. I feel at times I could have done so many more worthwhile things in this period. Especially in terms of relationships with my family.
Anyway, enjoy the journey, all the best , Joe.

Shadowfax 03-02-2011 06:27 AM

Quote:

Joe Curran wrote: (Post 278023)
Cherie,
I note that you started in 2009.Naturally you are enthusiastic about Aikido. I was equally so, however after over 40 years of practice I look back and think how much time I have devoted to the Art. I feel at times I could have done so many more worthwhile things in this period. Especially in terms of relationships with my family.

Yes Joe I am as I said in my first post an aikido newbie. And perhaps in 20 years I will not have this much fire. I hope that's not true. But then in 20 years I'll be 60, so slowing down may not be so much an option as a requirement. ;)

As for family. Well if you have family I guess yes it is very important and very worthwhile to take the time to be with them as well. I don't happen to have that particular obligation, being a widow with no children and no close ties to my own family. But I can see how for some this could be a problem. It is not always easy to balance the things we are passionate about with the obligations that come with having a family. If I had one to be concerned about, perhaps my practice would be very different indeed. But as it is I don't have that obligation, nor do I feel like it is missing in my life.

As for doing worthwhile things. Well I do many things that I find very satisfying and very worthwhile. Aikido is one of them.

Thank you for your good wishes. :)

Conrad Gus 03-02-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Mary Simonsen wrote: (Post 277890)
so has this happened to other people when they first started training ? did one day it just go " bing' and you felt like you couldn't get enough? Where you felt like you could train until you were so out of breath and then go back for some more...

Mary,

First of all, enjoy yourself! You are very fortunate to have good training partners and teachers as well as the life situation such that you can make the most of it.

Second of all, please be aware that you may not be able to keep up such a pace indefinitely, and that is OK. Life has a way of changing on you (job, children, finances, illness, etc.) and can require us to be flexible at times. Being able to let go of making it to every class will make it seem less of a horrible thing if it comes to that someday. In the meantime, enjoy it while it lasts (see the first thing).

Quote:

Mary Simonsen wrote: (Post 277890)
So any suggestions on how I can do a little training on my own to get some of this energy out?

Personally, I find weapons work to be very satisfying solo training. Just do 1000 suburi and see if you still have energy for more. Let me know how many you get up to! Additionally, you can go train in nature which is satisfying in a different way from being in the dojo. My club does a weekly weapons on the beach, which is just such a wonderful experience.

Also, I think meditation is very complimentary to aikido and might help ground your aikido practice as well. Movement and stillness are two sides of the same coin, some say.

Thank you for your post. It's inspiring to hear of your positive experience.

Conrad

nuxie 03-02-2011 04:24 PM

HA conrad I made it up to 252 today. My bokken is very heavy. I did have to take a break and then I decided to take a walk. ( needed to stretch my legs out.)

Conrad Gus 03-02-2011 05:21 PM

Quote:

Mary Simonsen wrote: (Post 278097)
HA conrad I made it up to 252 today. My bokken is very heavy. I did have to take a break and then I decided to take a walk. ( needed to stretch my legs out.)

Good for you! Just so you know, the aikido cops won't drag you away if they catch you cutting left-handed. ;-)

If you feel really bad about it, just use a jo! It's good to be able to use the jo on both sides.

nuxie 03-02-2011 08:50 PM

Hmmm Good Idea with the Jo. I would have to use the Jo outside though.. (hehe) last time I used bokken outside the neighbors thought I was casting a spell on my garage. I am thinking about clearing out space in my garage or planting really tall flowers for my deck.. :) I wish I had a private place to practice .. I love being outside!

good point about left handed though .. I don't want one arm to be stronger than the other.. My Bokken really does weigh a ton.. I might have to put it on the scale tomorrow and see how much it truly weighs.

Helle Buvik 03-02-2011 09:06 PM

Glad to see I'm not the only one that's feeling this way about aikido. I started in late january, and so far it's only geting "worse"!

And from the number of replies here it seems there may be something in the suspicion that it's something put into the air before practice ;). I've never done any other sort of sports or exersice that's left me feeling so happy afterwards. (rideing doesn't count, it's not me doing the work, it's the horse, honest! I'm just sitting there trying to look pretty)

There have been training sessions (at a seminar) where I was ready to drop to the mat and not get up again when we took a break after the first hour, yet while training I'm not feeling that exhaustion. and the moment the break (10 minutes) was over, somehow I had enough energy to go for another hour with no problems. I have no idea where I get the energy from.

It's indeed an addictive hobby. I have no idea how long I'll feel this way about it, but I intent to get everything I can from it while I do.

It's good to see that so many others have enjoyed it for so long too. Give me hope that in 20 years I'm still here feeling as happy as now.

Helle

nuxie 03-02-2011 10:05 PM

I wish there were some stay at home parents in my area that would like to get together once a week after lunch and practice. That would be freaking awesome!!

nuxie 03-09-2011 06:40 AM

Hey conrad! I have done over 200 subiri three times since my last post.. I am starting to just quit counting cuts and start counting minutes bwahaha.

Tony Wagstaffe 03-09-2011 09:11 AM

Quote:

Joe Curran wrote: (Post 278023)
Cherie,

Yes that's right Jo!! It can have the tendency to take over everything else.... When I think of all the lost holidays I could have had, the time and money it has cost me, I look back and think I was stark raving mad, but I still practice.... :hypno: