AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Practicing perceiving other energy? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9630)

Pdella 01-18-2006 12:58 PM

Practicing perceiving other energy?

In my class the other day, we practiced feeling other peoples' intentions/energy. We stood with our eyes closed and sensei focused his energy/intention on one part of our body, and we were supposed to go with whatever we felt, do whatever seemed natural. Well, the rest of the class responded in various ways, some moved far away from the energy, some moved around it, etc. I just stood there, because I didn't feel anything. My teacher suggested I just relax more and let my senses open more.

Any suggestions?

Jorge Garcia 01-18-2006 01:11 PM

Re: Practicing perceiving other energy?

That's beyond me but I would respect anyone who can really do that.

Erik 01-18-2006 01:40 PM

My suggestion is that you were the only one there not bullshitting himself.

And, I'd suggest a better practice, put the sensei, or someone, behind a curtain, and see how people react or don't react based on whether or not the sensei is there, isn't there, or someone else is there. You'll have to keep some tight controls but if you can do that what you'll find is that people suddenly aren't so sensitive afterall. Of course a curtain and the ill intentions of the testers will no doubt damage the ki flow. :rolleyes:

I've done similar exercises to the one described, one specifically where you attacked from behind, and were supposed to sense the attack. Interestingly, the room was filled with shadows and mats make noises so there were all kinds of cues to when the attack was happening. Now, I'm all for that kind of sensitivity training (awareness of surroundings and similar) but it wasn't being sold that way. So when I started taking those variables out (attacked towards the sun, attacking quietly, etc) people's performances declined drastically including the sensei's. Well, when that started happening, the teacher made the argument that he was accurately reading my intention to attack...and of course when the person moves the attacker tended to move so basically I needed some big boots to wade through what was being passed around on that mat.

At best people can read someone's intention based on sounds, touch, visual cues and similar things which can produce remarkable and surprising results but it ain't energy shooting out of some sensei's butt.....well, that actually can move people....

Aiki LV 01-18-2006 02:20 PM

I will never understand why people have to say something is "bullsh**. Just because you have not experienced it or don't believe in it does not make it false right off the bat. I personally don't believe in everything someone tells me or demonstrates, but that doesn't mean it is crap. If something works for someone else good for them. I'm not going to be purposefully insulting because I don't agree. Perhaps I lack the experience to feel what they feel or maybe my lack of openness is getting in the way as well. Saying that something isn't for me and
Quote:

My suggestion is that you were the only one there not bullshitting himself.
is quite different. I guess my rambling point is why can't we respect each other here? Why must we resort to being insulting when we don't agree with a certain style or training method? Why not just try to be respectfully in your opposition.

bkedelen 01-18-2006 02:21 PM

I agree with Erik. The power of Aikido is the power of the natural world, not a supernatural power. It is the application of everyday movement which brings about extraordinary results. Diddling each other with mental energy may yield amazing results to someone other than me, but in my experience, it one of few red herrings in my exploration of the rabbit-hole.

bkedelen 01-18-2006 02:26 PM

Speaking of red herrings, Mindy's argument that Erik is wrong because she found his argument insulting is a perfect example of the logical fallacy informally known as the red herring.

Mark Uttech 01-18-2006 02:43 PM

In a thread like this, I always think about going outside and feeling the energy of the wind. It seems to set aside everything else. In gassho.

Aiki LV 01-18-2006 02:46 PM

WOW, did I ever say he was wrong? I would like you to point out to me where I directly stated he was wrong. Way to twist what I said. You obviously missed the intention of what I was going for, but that's okay. Saying being insulting isn't necessary does not equal wrong. I was simply making a suggestion. Thanks for the reason & logic lesson though, reminds me of college. Have you taken symbolic logic?

James Davis 01-18-2006 03:47 PM

Quote:

Mindy Imbuido wrote:
WOW, did I ever say he was wrong? I would like you to point out to me where I directly stated he was wrong. Way to twist what I said. You obviously missed the intention of what I was going for, but that's okay. Saying being insulting isn't necessary does not equal wrong. I was simply making a suggestion. Thanks for the reason & logic lesson though, reminds me of college. Have you taken symbolic logic?

You never said he was wrong. Not once. :drool:

Keep standing up for yourself and others. You can't get walked on unless you lay down. ;)

crbateman 01-18-2006 03:56 PM

Quote:

Mark Uttech wrote:
In a thread like this, I always think about going outside and feeling the energy of the wind. It seems to set aside everything else. In gassho.

Pretty good amount of wind right here in this thread... ;)

batemanb 01-19-2006 12:44 AM

Quote:

Benjamin Edelen wrote:
I agree with Erik. The power of Aikido is the power of the natural world, not a supernatural power.

Surely the power of KI is natural energy? Don't recall O Sensei calling it supernatural, wasn't he an advocate of the harmony of nature?

rgds

Bryan

Demetrio Cereijo 01-19-2006 10:05 AM

Quote:

Peter Della wrote:
In my class the other day, we practiced feeling other peoples' intentions/energy. We stood with our eyes closed and sensei focused his energy/intention on one part of our body, and we were supposed to go with whatever we felt, do whatever seemed natural. Well, the rest of the class responded in various ways, some moved far away from the energy, some moved around it, etc. I just stood there, because I didn't feel anything. My teacher suggested I just relax more and let my senses open more.

Any suggestions?

Try to resurrect Benjamin Franklin.

bkedelen 01-19-2006 10:07 AM

The intent of your post was clearly to diminish Erik's position in the discussion. No post yet made, including yours, has been offensive (by which I mean no personal attacks were made, and no inappropriate content was referenced). If we are not allowed to call bullshit in martial arts (the ancient mainstay of the parlor trick) discussions, then this forum will become much less useful.

Aiki LV 01-19-2006 11:21 AM

[PHP]The intent of your post was clearly to diminish Erik's position in the discussion.[/PHP]

I find it interesting that you would make that claim. You don't know me and as I stated earlier you missed my intention completely. I don't quite understand why you feel the need to beat the point about my intention to death. For the record I don't wish to "diminish" his position. I was addressing the language he used and the attitude associated with his choice of words. Now if you choose to you can once again question my motives, say what you want I really don't care. I think we have gotten a little off track here. ;) We will just have to agree to disagree. Happy training :)

Ben Eaton 01-19-2006 11:51 AM

Before someone announces this thread formally hijacked...

I would have a problem at this early stage in my training and indeed, my life, believing that people could have a "sense" of the next move, like a mild precognitive ability, but I wouldn't say that it just plain isn't possible.
That to me would suggest a mind completely closed to ideas outside their own sphere of understanding, which in my opinion is not the way to approach any kind of training which does involve a mental element, or how to approach anything in life. Open mindedness isn't a skill as such, it's a way of thinking and generally people with open minds are better off for it.

But you do have senses other than your eyes with which to guess the next move with, and I think experience would play a part in predicting what someone is going to do/what attack is coming next.

Erik 01-19-2006 01:51 PM

It's always interesting in these sorts of threads to see how people respond and what they respond to. I used the word I used precisely because it accurately conveys how people often respond to their own experiences.

I 100% guarantee that I could find and convince people that I have precognitive / supernatural abilities. I couldn't do this with everyone or maybe even most people but I could do it with enough people, eventually, to fill a small dojo with em. Don't believe me? Ask yourself how many people pony up money to Jeane Dixon....or ponied up to Mesmer...

Now imagine you are a new aikido student and you walk into my dojo. I'm sitting there with students flinging themselves through the air as if by magic (been there, seen it, done it myself, more than once) but you ain't getting it. So do we do that student any service whatsoever by feeding him more nonsense about being sensitive, or, do we call it straight for what it almost certainly is? I think we do a student a grave disservice if we do anything else.

Secondly, just because people are bullshitting themselves doesn't make them bad. Human beings are notorious self-bullshitters to such a degree that we should trust our experiences substantially less than we do. Which hits to the crux of the problem and the solution. Any teacher claiming to be able to do what this guy was claiming ought to be able to do it under more substantive and rigorous situations than a dojo. If all he can do is that bullshit mentioned by the original poster he's got nothing even worth discussing because it's a truly lame expression of ability totally lacking in even basic controls.

Thirdly, on the near precognitive abilities, please don't mistake skill for magic. I've played basketball with top-flight players and they flat-out see things before I do. They did it, frankly, because they were just better than I am, and played more than I did. While it can seem like magic, skill is simply skill, and very highly skilled individuals often perform at such a level that it seems like magic.

Also, I'm all for awareness practices but don't purport that it's, oh I don't know, ki shooting out fingertips, when it can be explained in many other far more likely ways. An open mind wouldn't rush to the assumption that it's ki moving those people but rather would engage in a rigorous examination of the process the likes of which this guy's instructor, and just about any believer, wouldn't dream of doing. By the way, I can't remember this sort of thing ever being tested this way in the context of a dojo environment.

Back to work...

Mary Eastland 01-19-2006 02:52 PM

I can tell where peoples centers are when they are training. Does that count? I can feel ki when people extend it and I can feel when they aren't
Mary

Esaemann 01-19-2006 02:57 PM

Not sure who might be familiar with Cheng Man-Ching (CMC), but if so, this may have some meaning.
Also, would like to stipulate that my instructor said this and I haven't seen the source of the comment myself.
CMC had stated that there is some type of electomagnetic signal (or whatever you call the brain activity) that happens in the brain a fraction (maybe 0.5) of a second before one thinks of moving, say his hand.
Is there scientific reasearch behind this? (thinking outloud)
Can you feel another person's energy? Perhaps after many years of dedicated practice, but I would think one must be able to feel one's own first.

Choku Tsuki 01-19-2006 03:15 PM

I've made a person feel something without touching them. They have to have to see me. Try this some time:

-locate and walk on a crowded street
-make eye contact with someone directly in front of you (best if you're on a collision course)
-aim your center at their center

I don't do this all the time. I work in Times Square (where the ball drops on New Years Eve); lots of people around at lunch time. Sometimes I get to practice this. When done with sincere and focused intent, I think your unwary training partner 'feels' your 'energy.'

Try it.

--Chuck

Mark Uttech 01-19-2006 03:21 PM

I think it has something to do with 'connection', but I'm never sure. Something like this belongs in the 'Never Sure' category.

Aristeia 01-19-2006 03:22 PM

Mary, when you say you can tell when someone is extending Ki is that if they are in physical contact with you or from across the room?

If you decide that they are or are not extending Ki, how do you find out if you are correct?

James Kelly 01-19-2006 03:38 PM

Quote:

Chuck Kuske wrote:
I've made a person feel something without touching them. They have to have to see me. Try this some time:

-make eye contact with someone directly in front of you (best if you're on a collision course)

I don't do this all the time. I work in Times Square (where the ball drops on New Years Eve); lots of people around at lunch time. Sometimes I get to practice this. When done with sincere and focused intent, I think your unwary training partner 'feels' your 'energy.'

Yeah, but that's just because you're really scary looking. I'd get out of you way if I saw you coming at me in times square... lol

bratzo_barrena 01-19-2006 03:47 PM

My two cents,
Ki is not something in itself, Ki is a consecuence, an state.
A consecuence of focusing body, mind and spirit (intention/will) to achieve certain goal. In whatever field you are, not only aikido, in any sport or activity, for that matter, you can achieve ki.
So ki is an state in which your body, your senses, mind, will, all of what you are is aimed to achieve certain goal.
For example, a heavyweight lifter, when he is going to lift the weight, he aligns his body in the optimal position for that purpose, also concentrates his mind in lifting the weight, his will/intention is to lift that weight, so he generates this "supernatural" stength/power to lift that weight. But in reality is not supernatural, and is not magic.
Take the same heavyweight lifter, trying to lift the same weight, but this time have him standing in an awkward position, he will not be able to lift the same weight, beacuse his body is not properly aligned, even though his mind and will are focused to lifting the weight.
So, Ki is a state in which a person is focusing all what he/she (body/mind/spirit/will/intention) is to achieve certain goal in any activity in life.
But ki is not a supernatural energy, all migthty power, that one can feel and/or project at will, Jedi style, that's a lot of bullshit.
Ki cannot be measured, felt, projected or otherwise in itself because is not something in itself, it is just an state.
Like love, anger, happinness, etc. They are states, they exist, but are states. You can't measure love in itself, or happines in itself, but you can understand love by its phisical manifestation (like a hug or a kiss), and what you can measure is the physical maifestations of love, i.e. the strengh of a hug, the duration of a kiss, in the same way you can measure the physical manifestations of ki, in the heavyweight lifter example, would be the force generated to lift the weight.
So ki is an state, a consecuence, not a spernatural force. Also Ki has physical limitations.
Using the same heavyweight lifter example, he alings his body, focuses his mind, and his will to..... stop an incoming train. Well, he's just going to be crushed.
I tryed to be as clear as possible, but english is not my native languaje

Bratzo Barrena
Instructor Aikido Goshin Dojo
Doral FL

deepsoup 01-19-2006 04:37 PM

Quote:

Chuck Kuske wrote:

<snip>
When done with sincere and focused intent, I think your unwary training partner 'feels' your 'energy.'

Hmm...
Eye contact and physical posturing among primates with a highly evolved social structure.

I'd offer the alternative theory that there's some (surprisingly primative) non-verbal communication taking place here. Congratulations, Chuck, your extended ki makes you an alpha male - you're the biggest chimp in Times Square!

Mary Eastland 01-19-2006 06:59 PM

Quote:

Michael Fooks wrote:
Mary, when you say you can tell when someone is extending Ki is that if they are in physical contact with you or from across the room?

If you decide that they are or are not extending Ki, how do you find out if you are correct?

When I go to grab them I am already off balance. You know the feeling where you would rather not attack...cause of how nage feels??
Mary

Qatana 01-19-2006 07:14 PM

Quote:

Mary Eastland wrote:
When I go to grab them I am already off balance. You know the feeling where you would rather not attack...cause of how nage feels??
Mary

Sometimes when Sensei is taking ukemi he'll say " I wouldn't Want to attack you" which I always find amusing as he is 6' 2 and I am 5' 3 and he Knows he can squash me with one little finger but I think he is commenting on nage's Presence.
We work with energy but we don't call it ki so I'm not sure its my ki he's feeling or if I am just able to project a "don't mess with me' attitude.
But then there's the times you look at the car next to you and the driver turns and looks you right in the eye, or vice/versa....

James Smithe 01-19-2006 08:55 PM

This is a perfect example of bullshido. Peter you're instructor needs to personally meet an experienced practioner in Aikido so he can beat his ass and see if can feel his energy. Dude get out of that school now it's total bullshido. Oh wait let me explain what bullshido is.
Bullshido+Bullshit =Bullshido. I would say bulldo but it's not as cool.

James Smithe 01-19-2006 08:56 PM

You don't have to give up Aikido just choose another school.

Shannymara 01-19-2006 11:45 PM

I think it's really sad that so many people seem to think there's not much going on other than physics and normal nonverbal communication. I am a scientist by education and a left-brained, analytical thinker. Yet I am certain there is something else going on with "energy". I don't pretend to understand it, but I know it's real because of experiences I've had. And this is nothing to do with being brainwashed or tricked by my own expectations.

My most recent experience that was unmistakably related to "energy" was about a week ago in the dojo. My wrist was sore from being cranked on pretty hard, and I asked him if he would fix it for me. What I expected him to do was just rub it between his palms. What he did was simply put his hands around it and hold still, very gently with almost no pressure. After about 3 seconds my wrist and hand suddenly felt really hot, and simultaneously I felt an intense, pleasurable rush through my whole body. It was so intense that I actually swooned. I put my hand on his back, said "Oh my God," and almost fell down. Then he walked off. Wow. Just... wow. My wrist felt absolutely fine, and I felt sort of high for a few hours after that.

Now, that happened without me having any expectations about it. It took me totally by surprise. I've had several other intense experiences along those lines over the years. Go ahead and flame me if you want, but I'm a believer. I hope those of you who insist on reducing things to terms you already understand have the fortune to experience this someday, because it is a wonderful feeling.

James Smithe 01-19-2006 11:59 PM

This is what you said.
Quote:

felt sort of high for a few hours after that.
I will assume you were high when you typed what you said above.

crbateman 01-20-2006 02:08 AM

Shannon, I think you may have had a "kiatsu" experience. Tohei Sensei wrote a book years ago about it, and the book is still available from many sources, in case you want to read about it.

Mary Eastland 01-20-2006 06:17 AM

One time at a beginner's class the instructor demonstrated how we were to do tenkan from katate tori. A doubting, really angry kind of guy got up and grabbed my wrist really hard....as he grabbed I curled my wrist and extended ......he flew off and fell down. If I had not been there I would not believe it myself.
His energy felt really negative and he was so surprised. As were the insturctor and I...because it seemed like I did not do anything.
Mary

James Smithe 01-20-2006 06:55 AM

Mary I think you're talking about something completely different from what the first guy was talking about. The first post was bullshido what you're talking about is believable.

Mary Eastland 01-20-2006 07:45 AM

Quote:

James Smith wrote:
Mary I think you're talking about something completely different from what the first guy was talking about. The first post was bullshido what you're talking about is believable.

Maybe James or maybe not......I don't have definite answers I just train and am open to possiblity.

Mary

DaveS 01-20-2006 08:22 AM

Quote:

Shannon Key wrote:
I think it's really sad that so many people seem to think there's not much going on other than physics and normal nonverbal communication.

Bear in mind that Erik's posts haven't flat out denied any possibility of something outside of physics and nonverbal communication, just stated that examples that he's seen in the vein of what the OP was talking about have actually been more consistent with this explanation than with the 'sensing ki' explanation. And that to explain things by a mysterious and hard to pin down 'energy' that can be explained more simply is at best unneccessary and at worst damaging.

Erik 01-20-2006 09:33 AM

Quote:

Shannon Key wrote:
I think it's really sad that so many people seem to think there's not much going on other than physics and normal nonverbal communication. I am a scientist by education and a left-brained, analytical thinker. Yet I am certain there is something else going on with "energy". I don't pretend to understand it, but I know it's real because of experiences I've had. And this is nothing to do with being brainwashed or tricked by my own expectations.

My most recent experience that was unmistakably related to "energy" was about a week ago in the dojo. My wrist was sore from being cranked on pretty hard, and I asked him if he would fix it for me. What I expected him to do was just rub it between his palms. What he did was simply put his hands around it and hold still, very gently with almost no pressure. After about 3 seconds my wrist and hand suddenly felt really hot, and simultaneously I felt an intense, pleasurable rush through my whole body. It was so intense that I actually swooned. I put my hand on his back, said "Oh my God," and almost fell down. Then he walked off. Wow. Just... wow. My wrist felt absolutely fine, and I felt sort of high for a few hours after that.

Now, that happened without me having any expectations about it. It took me totally by surprise. I've had several other intense experiences along those lines over the years. Go ahead and flame me if you want, but I'm a believer. I hope those of you who insist on reducing things to terms you already understand have the fortune to experience this someday, because it is a wonderful feeling.

Shannon, if you are really a "scientist" then you should know better....but, alas, some of the most easily fooled people over the years have been scientists...

By the way, I'm not saying you didn't experience the experience just that if you believe such a thing actually happened, think up a meaningful method of testing, repeat as needed, submit it to peer review, and put the topic to rest. If you are a scientist by training then you know that the standard is much higher than what you've just submitted.

Just for fun...

http://www.thewavemag.com/pagegen.ph...rticleid=23855

Erik 01-20-2006 09:35 AM

Quote:

David Sim wrote:
Bear in mind that Erik's posts haven't flat out denied any possibility of something outside of physics and nonverbal communication, just stated that examples that he's seen in the vein of what the OP was talking about have actually been more consistent with this explanation than with the 'sensing ki' explanation. And that to explain things by a mysterious and hard to pin down 'energy' that can be explained more simply is at best unneccessary and at worst damaging.

Yup!

Demetrio Cereijo 01-20-2006 09:38 AM

I ki blasted a guy last saturday. :)

Well, not really a "ki blast" but raising my eyebrow was enougt to stop his attempt of taking my bokken away from my hands.

James Davis 01-20-2006 10:57 AM

In my opinion, ki is just a different way of explaining proper technique to an aikido student. When your mind, body, and spirit are in alignment, that usually means that the bones in your hand are in proper alignment too. Personally, as an assistant instructor, I've had more success telling people how to extend their ki, than trying to explain physics and body mechanics to them.
Karateka have a better chance of sending that hand through a board if their mind, their intent, is on the other side. People can study our movements with slow motion photography and attribute everything we do to physics and body mechanics, but when I'm in the middle of randori I don't have time to think about it that in-depth...

...so I just extend my ki.

As for "feeling" an attack coming, I think that the original poster's sensei could have used different words to get his student to concentrate on the impending attack. When we still our bodies and our minds, when we stop all that blasted thinking, we open ourselves up to other things. It could be explained by something as simple as hearing their foot leave the mat, or a quick intake of breath when they step in to strike; Maybe it could be something different, something more. I don't know. The minute that I say I do know, the minute that I close my mind to possibilities, my aikido will suffer. Good luck to all of you. :)

Pdella 01-20-2006 11:12 AM

Thanks for all the feedback. As an essentially rational, analytic person, I wonder: How do you explain that in double-blind scientific studies, religious people who ask God to heal them actually heal more quickly than non-religious people? (both groups have same diagnoses, same medical treatment, same level of disease, etc.)

My explanation is that we do not know everything there is to know about the human mind, although everything we know indicates that it is a powerful organ. Who knows what it can do?