AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   AikiWeb System (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Poll: In generel, where does your inspiration from aikido come from? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13965)

AikiWeb System 02-17-2008 12:30 AM

Poll: In generel, where does your inspiration from aikido come from?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of February 17, 2008:

In generel, where does your inspiration from aikido come from?
  • I don't do aikido
  • From others
  • From within yourself
Here are the current results.

Cast your vote at the top right of this page.

SeiserL 02-17-2008 06:31 AM

Re: Poll: In generel, where does your inspiration from aikido come from?

Enjoying the moment.
Sharing the awe.

Okay, its the dressing up in white pajamas and the black pleated A-line pantaloons, and for a few hours pretending I am somebody else.

Dirk Hanss 02-18-2008 06:21 AM

Quote:

AikiWeb System wrote: (Post 199354)
AikiWeb Poll for the week of February 17, 2008:

In generel, where does your inspiration from aikido come from?
  • I don't do aikido
  • From others
  • From within yourself
Here are the current results.

Cast your vote at the top right of this page.

It is funny, but again a poll I cannot give aq definite answer. I don't think that any of the inspiration comes solely from me, but it my personal essence from everything others gave me, by practicing, teaching, helping, resisting, etc.

Well sometimes it is like a "little enlightment" coming from a divine source - but again based on what other people provided me and interpreted by my mind as good and as bad as it is.

So given this explanation, what would you vote for?

Probably "I don't do aikido"! ;) :D ;) It looks similar, but is something total different, which I just have not found a name for.

Dirk

Mark Uttech 02-18-2008 09:29 AM

Just an interesting thought here: even O Sensei's aikido inspiration did not come from just within himself.

In gassho,

Mark

reisler 02-18-2008 11:56 AM

I suppose one would think the inspiration should come from within, but I chose "from others" because I think that for beginners like me, a lot of it is external. When I go to practice, the inspiration starts the moment I step through the doors. I feel the acceptance from my "Aikido family" and feel safe. I experience the encouragement of the senior students and feel motivated to try new things. I see the incredible grace with which the Shihan move, and feel inspired to make this a lifelong journey.
So...... for me, I think that it starts with the external, and then becomes more internal as it becomes part of who I am.

JAMJTX 02-21-2008 08:29 PM

My initial inspiration came from others, seeing what they do and wanting to do it too.

Further inspiration came from myself in wanting to push myself, improve and learn more.

But it gets frustrating and it may take others to give another push.
Then I can be ok on my own for while.

Donald Pillow 02-23-2008 10:44 AM

It's always associated with police self defense and it is the initial basis for the control techniques that my agency say must be used before progressing up the force ladder.

I've been placed in holds that I KNOW work however becoming very good in Aikido seems to take a long time and many thousands of hours practiciing.

I pray that I use the time I have allotted to become decent myself.