AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marketplace (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Heavyweight Cotton Hakama (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20068)

Toby Threadgill 07-19-2011 04:41 PM

Heavyweight Cotton Hakama

Hello,

I'm wondering how many people in aikido like wearing a heavyweight 100% cotton hakama? The reason I ask is since Bujin Design closed over in Boulder I have been looking for a new supplier of equipment like heavyweight cotton hakama's, keikogi, sword bags and good TSYR bokken. We've obtained new suppliers for TSYR bokken but we were not able to find a supplier for the type of keikogi, hakama's and sword bags we prefer. We are now gearing up to manufacture our own line of gear thru a company in New Zealand. The trick is volume. If there is a market for blue heavyweight cotton hakama in the aikido community I'll consider increasing my manufacturing volume and market to the aikido community.

We are also in the process of producing keikogi that are longer and more appropriate for use with a hakama than the judo type gi frequently worn by aikidoka. These keikogi have shorter sleeves, are cut longer in length and are slit in the back not in the sides. This gives the keikogi a cleaner line and prevents the gi from puckering out thru the side vent of the hakama. Both the hakama and keikogi are manufactured from 100% brushed 10oz cotton duck. They are very durable.

Toby Threadgill / TSYR

Michael Hackett 07-19-2011 04:57 PM

Re: Heavyweight Cotton Hakama

Sensei,
I have a black Tozando heavyweight cotton that I prefer to the others. We have a choice of black or blue, and I prefer black, as most of my dojomates seem to.

Janet Rosen 07-19-2011 05:21 PM

Did you try Peter Boylan at https://www.budogu.com/index.cfm ?

Carsten Möllering 07-20-2011 02:17 AM

I wear the heavy weight indigo cotton hakama of Iwata.
Very good quality, best service ... which has it's price ...
Before that I used to order my hakama at Tozando.

Don't know whether you think of shipping your goods but I'm quite sure that people over here will tend to order in Japan and not in the US.

john.burn 07-20-2011 06:37 AM

Hi Toby,

My 12oz Bujin is getting pretty frayed now so I'm definitely thinking of getting a new one at some stage soon - I'd be interested. Are you planning on doing anything similar to the aiki style Koshita?

We're in the UK - would they be sent direct from NZ or to you first? Just thinking it might be a cheaper option for us not based in the US to have to cover the shipping to you first then to us.

As for keikogi then again, definitely interested as there's still no sign of the Bujin ones turning up anytime soon. Not sure what happened with the deal with Aikido24.com.

George S. Ledyard 08-16-2011 12:10 PM

Quote:

Toby Threadgill wrote: (Post 288118)
Hello,

I'm wondering how many people in aikido like wearing a heavyweight 100% cotton hakama? The reason I ask is since Bujin Design closed over in Boulder I have been looking for a new supplier of equipment like heavyweight cotton hakama's, keikogi, sword bags and good TSYR bokken. We've obtained new suppliers for TSYR bokken but we were not able to find a supplier for the type of keikogi, hakama's and sword bags we prefer. We are now gearing up to manufacture our own line of gear thru a company in New Zealand. The trick is volume. If there is a market for blue heavyweight cotton hakama in the aikido community I'll consider increasing my manufacturing volume and market to the aikido community.

We are also in the process of producing keikogi that are longer and more appropriate for use with a hakama than the judo type gi frequently worn by aikidoka. These keikogi have shorter sleeves, are cut longer in length and are slit in the back not in the sides. This gives the keikogi a cleaner line and prevents the gi from puckering out thru the side vent of the hakama. Both the hakama and keikogi are manufactured from 100% brushed 10oz cotton duck. They are very durable.

Toby Threadgill / TSYR

I'd be very interested... Maybe I can get details from you when you up here in Seattle over the weekend...

Cliff Judge 08-17-2011 07:52 AM

Quote:

Toby Threadgill wrote: (Post 288118)
Hello,

Toby Threadgill / TSYR

I'd be interested in trying out one of your keikogis. Do you guys wear pants?

Walker 08-17-2011 10:12 AM

We try not to. ;)

I don't know of any plans on Toby's part to produce pants. One of the reasons for the longer keikogi with a back vent is so that no skin will show when wearing with kakama.

Tyson Walters 01-29-2012 06:19 PM

Did this ever come to fruition?

I'm new on the scene here in NZ, and would be willing to try out the product as I'm in the market. And if its made here in NZ that would save me a huge amount on shipping.

Cheers,

T