AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   AikiWeb System (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Poll: How important is the philosophy of aikido in your everyday aikido training? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12365)

AikiWeb System 04-15-2007 12:30 AM

Poll: How important is the philosophy of aikido in your everyday aikido training?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of April 15, 2007:

How important is the philosophy of aikido in your everyday aikido training?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Critically important
  • Very important
  • Somewhat important
  • Not very important
  • Not at all important
Here are the current results.

SeiserL 04-15-2007 06:12 AM

Re: Poll: How important is the philosophy of aikido in your everyday aikido training?

IMHO, philosophy is about orienting the head about who we are and why we are here. Where ever the head goes the body follows. Therefore, it is critically important to get my head and my body congruent, harmonized, unified, or at least pointed somewhat in the same direction.

Mark Uttech 04-15-2007 06:43 AM

Re: Poll: How important is the philosophy of aikido in your everyday aikido training?

Twice, in a recent letter to a friend I mistakenly substitued the word "reality" for "philosophy"; but after I reflected on it a bit, I realized I hadn't made a mistake after all.

In gassho,

Mark

Chuck Clark 04-15-2007 07:29 AM

As long as we remember that we all have a different version of "reality" and usually think our view is a little better than the other person's ... learning to share the view with compassion and respect is the ticket to the ride.

Mary Eastland 04-15-2007 07:31 AM

I chose critically important because if the philosophy is forgotten students think it is just another way to fight.
Mary

mjhacker 04-15-2007 08:57 AM

What is "THE" Philosophy of Aikido(tm)?

Mary Eastland 04-15-2007 01:18 PM

Quote:

Michael Hacker wrote: (Post 175511)
What is "THE" Philosophy of Aikido(tm)?

Good question, Michael.

I know what it means to me...how about you?

Mary

mjhacker 04-15-2007 01:57 PM

Quote:

Mary Eastland wrote: (Post 175528)
I know what it means to me...how about you?

Ask me again on my death bed.

Takumi 04-16-2007 09:05 AM

The philosophy is what makes Aikido what it is. Without the philosophy, Aikido would just be another way to hurt people we don't need to hurt.

rcoit 04-16-2007 11:06 AM

Western philosophy distinguishes mind, body & spirit but Aikido & other Eastern philosophies seek to unify, to 'blend'. To be a true student one must integrate the aikido philosophy, not only into training, but all aspects of life. Once integrated, behavior consistent with O Sensei's teaching becomes natural and flowing.
eg apply aikido philosophy to any struggle in your life and you will see to what I am referring.

Tim Griffiths 04-16-2007 12:20 PM

I was asked this question at the end of a class a few weeks ago. I think I blathered too much, but what I would have liked to have said is:

The philosophy of Aikido IS Aikido. What we do on the mat is just a way of expressing that philosophy in simple physical terms. It doesn't really matter how good your technique is, if you stop doing aikido the moment you step off the mat, then you're missing what I'm trying to teach you.

Tim

Tony Wagstaffe 04-16-2007 01:26 PM

One teacher of mine always said less talk more do!! :cool:
Tony

Mark Uttech 04-16-2007 05:25 PM

I'm afraid that the philosophy of "less talk, more do!" would be the end of forums such as aikiweb forum. Actually the forum and the discussions are a good thing to have around, another form of training.

In gassho,

Mark

Tony Wagstaffe 04-17-2007 03:11 AM

Truth hurts sometimes...... IMHO "philosophy" is for those that talk too much and don't find it through experience!
Tony