AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Things i can do at home? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22699)

ThomasBaker92 05-21-2013 05:25 PM

Things i can do at home?

I am new too aikido and i was wondering if there where any general things i can do at home to help me with learning my aikido?

Mary Eastland 05-21-2013 05:42 PM

Re: Things i can do at home?

Have you asked your instructor....

odudog 05-21-2013 07:34 PM

Practice the foot movements.
1) okuri ashi
2) ayumi ashi
3) tsugi ashi
4) tenkan
5) tenshin
6) tenkai

JJF 05-22-2013 02:54 AM

and if it fits your style: work with the bokken... plenty of suburi :)

SeiserL 05-22-2013 04:22 AM

Body alignment and temkan, tenkan, tenkan ...

lbb 05-22-2013 08:25 AM

As a beginner, you're probably best focusing on general physical conditioning for now. Stance and footwork, and weapons suburi, can be practiced as solo exercises once you're sure you're doing them correctly. Practice has to be correct to be beneficial.

Mary Eastland 05-22-2013 10:39 AM

I think it is important for you to ask where you train...I could give you great exercises to do but if you are from a style that is different from ours...what I might say to you might be detrimental to your progress.

It is easier to learn new things if you don't have different old habits to break.

NekVTAikido 05-22-2013 11:43 AM

My free advice: Learn the basics of rolling/falling, and then find a place to practice. Rolling backwards from standing and coming back to standing is GREAT conditioning, and builds skill that will be useful in training. Once you've learned forward rolls, work on those. A carpet, a lawn, a mat if you have one - all will do; but hard surfaces are very direct teachers, their feedback is clear and unmistakeable - make sure you're ready for it when you go there. Get Ellis Amdur's DVD "Ukemi from the ground up" and watch it several times - and use good awareness and judgement if you have to face a situation where your dojo teaches ukemi differently than Amdur Sensei does. (try their style and don't make a big deal out of it until you have some experience of your own.)

Marie Noelle Fequiere 05-22-2013 12:40 PM

Work your hara (back, stomach and hip muscles). A strong hara is essential whatever the style of martial art that you are studying.

Rob Watson 05-22-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Mary Malmros wrote: (Post 326884)
As a beginner, you're probably best focusing on general physical conditioning for now.

Squats ... lots of them.

phitruong 05-22-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Marie Noelle Fequiere wrote: (Post 326894)
Work your hara (back, stomach and hip muscles). A strong hara is essential whatever the style of martial art that you are studying.

you meant eating a big meal every day? i hit the buffet line on a regular basis. my hara is quite powerful. :)

phitruong 05-22-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Robert M Watson Jr wrote: (Post 326896)
Squats ... lots of them.

second. but with qualification. sloooooowwww squat and keep both feet flat on the ground. those systema buggers have a brutal way of doing squat. see how slow can you do 1 squat. :D

Aikeway 05-22-2013 08:38 PM

Duck walking is also good. As you duck walk, you should say out aloud "quack, quack" at regular intervals as this teaches humility, a very important thing in aikido. Apparently the French Foreign Legion also do this as a training exercise with new recruits.

Aikeway 05-23-2013 01:15 AM

The duck walking is good preparation for shiko walking.

grondahl 05-23-2013 04:19 AM

Duck walk is pretty rough on the knees.

My suggestion would be: cardio (running if possible), squats, hindu pushups, back bridges.

lbb 05-23-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Phi Truong wrote: (Post 326899)
second. but with qualification. sloooooowwww squat and keep both feet flat on the ground. those systema buggers have a brutal way of doing squat. see how slow can you do 1 squat. :D

Yep. Squats are a great way to build core strength - but they're also a great way to get hurt if you're not careful, so get a trainer to teach you how to do them right. Squats and other complementary core strength exercise, and then don't forget the aerobic conditioning. A foundation of good fitness will do more to advance your aikido training than trying to practice techniques at home that you've only just been exposed to for the first time.

bkedelen 05-23-2013 08:46 AM

People are not concerned enough about the dangers of squatting. Attempting to mount and unmount the crapper should only be done under the supervision of a qualified trainer. If only our bodies were already designed for this kind of movement.