AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Groin Pull (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4825)

Steven 01-04-2004 11:05 PM

Groin Pull

Howdy folks,

Any of you ever had a groin pull that prevented you from taking ukemi, or doing any physcial activity?

If so, I'm looking for recommendations on how to treat it, other than resting. Strangely enough, it is only left side hiyaku ukemi that hurts ... And badly! I know when and
where it happened, but not sure why.

Thanks ...

Edward 01-05-2004 12:42 AM

Had a severe one 2 years ago. Couldn't walk for one week, had to stop training for 3 months. The doctor prescriped pain killers and muscle relaxants, and rest of course. These injuries never seem to heal completely and will recur every now and then.

JJF 01-05-2004 02:52 AM

I have had a mild one, so I never saw a doctor. Just tried to adapt and not overdo my practice. However I think Edward is right that it never quite seems to go away. It's really a pain in well... the groin ;)

Dyusan 01-05-2004 05:46 AM

groin pull

:freaky: Steven, I had a mild one years ago. Tried to train around it and it hurt. I finally rested for a month, no hard anything. It got better. Recently a friend of mine got one during his judo practice and it took 9 months to a year before he quit complaining. He trained softly for that period.

fullerfury 01-05-2004 08:06 AM

Hi Steven. A member of the dojo had a very serious pull earlier this year, which kept him out of training for some time. He visited a therapist and the recommendation was to practice some particular stretches. The one I am most familiar with is:

Sitting on the floor, right leg stretched out. Cross left leg over right and twist body to left side looking behind you.

Do this for both sides.

This should help loosen up that area. Apparently this is a good exercise for preventative measures as well.

-Garrett

jgrowney 01-05-2004 09:50 AM

I pulled a groin muscle a couple of years ago. Hurt like hell. Saw a Japanese (not Traditional Chinese) acupuncturist. Back to normal training within three weeks. No problems since. Also changed diet to increase healing time. I saw him twice a week for about a month.

Acupuncture and macrobiotic practice worked very well for me. As far as healing goes, they play right into one another very well.

Sincerely,

Jim

Michael Hackett 01-05-2004 01:54 PM

Steven,

Groin pulls are really common in rodeo, particularly with bullriders. Generally they take time to heal, waaay too long. Within a short time you can probably start doing some mild exercise to stabilize and strengthen the groin muscles. If you have access to gym equipment, try the machines where you close your legs against resistance and open then against resistance - but don't force it! Very light, very easy, and very controlled. If a gym isn't available, you can improvise with leg lifts while lying on your side.

For me, the key has been to rest a few days and then start the exercises. As you start to heal, you can increase the repetitions and resistance. Just don't go beyond pain if you try the exercise route. Just far enough to know your crotch is still attached.

I haven't tried personally, but a friend basically did the same exercises in the swimming pool with good results.

Good luck with the healing process. Just go slow and be patient in order to get quick results.

Michael