AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Testing (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   4th kyu test what is expected? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18551)

tim evans 08-21-2010 09:43 AM

4th kyu test what is expected?

I,m testing for 4th kyu soon and was wondering what is expected thanks:)

Peter Goldsbury 08-21-2010 09:55 AM

Re: 4th kyu test what is expected?

Go to the USAF website and download the requirements:

4th Kyu (Yonkyu) 80 practice days after 5th Kyu
Shomenuchi Nikyo (omote & ura)
Yokomenuchi Shihonage (omote & ura)
Tsuki Iriminage (irimi, tenkan & tenshin variations)
Ushiro Tekubitori Sankyo (omote & ura)
Ushiro Ryokatatori Kotegaeshi (omote & ura)
Suwari waza:
Shomenuchi Ikkyo (omote & ura)
Katatori Nikyo (omote & ura)
Katatori Sankyo (omote & ura)

tim evans 08-21-2010 10:46 AM

Quote:

Peter A Goldsbury wrote: (Post 263317)
Go to the USAF website and download the requirements:

4th Kyu (Yonkyu) 80 practice days after 5th Kyu
Shomenuchi Nikyo (omote & ura)
Yokomenuchi Shihonage (omote & ura)
Tsuki Iriminage (irimi, tenkan & tenshin variations)
Ushiro Tekubitori Sankyo (omote & ura)
Ushiro Ryokatatori Kotegaeshi (omote & ura)
Suwari waza:
Shomenuchi Ikkyo (omote & ura)
Katatori Nikyo (omote & ura)
Katatori Sankyo (omote & ura)

Sorry I should have been more cleaer on my question how fast how fluid in my movements should be expected for 4th kyu .

Adam Huss 08-21-2010 11:19 AM

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Don't blast through your test as quick as you can...you'll screw something up and look sloppy. Good zanshin and crisp/clear movement should be what you strive for. I am sure you have seen 4th kyu testing before at your dojo. That should be an indicator of what is expected (those who passed, anyway). Other than that, only your teacher and/or testing board will know what to expect from you personally. Every dojo has their own way of going about things...by 4th kyu I am sure you know what that is. So no worries, good luck, and have a good time!

Janet Rosen 08-21-2010 12:36 PM

My advice is to focus on breathing; if you are able to time your movements to the slow cycle of your in/out breaths, you will conserve energy and maintain a regular rhythm, avoiding the appearance of rushing

RED 08-21-2010 03:48 PM

Why isn't your Sensei making you aware of what they expect of you, and what the Federation's standards are?
And if they have informed you on what they expect, why are you bothering to ask a bunch of yahoos on the internet for their opinion?

tim evans 08-21-2010 05:11 PM

Quote:

Maggie Schill wrote: (Post 263325)
Why isn't your Sensei making you aware of what they expect of you, and what the Federation's standards are?
And if they have informed you on what they expect, why are you bothering to ask a bunch of yahoos on the internet for their opinion?

I have asked him and I know what to expect just a littlte tweaking of things and a few things I haven,t though off the breathing for example like janet talked about could really help my test besides that why do you care we can talk aikido and 3rd kyu expectations at winter camp in nov.:D

RED 08-21-2010 09:59 PM

Quote:

Tim Evans wrote: (Post 263328)
I have asked him and I know what to expect just a littlte tweaking of things and a few things I haven,t though off the breathing for example like janet talked about could really help my test besides that why do you care we can talk aikido and 3rd kyu expectations at winter camp in nov.:D

lol don't get me wrong, I don't mind, just I some times wonder if people have asked their sensei first for most of these(what I consider serious)topics.

Good luck training and getting your days in by November.
See you at Winter Camp.

tim evans 08-21-2010 10:29 PM

Quote:

Maggie Schill wrote: (Post 263331)
lol don't get me wrong, I don't mind, just I some times wonder if people have asked their sensei first for most of these(what I consider serious)topics.

Good luck training and getting your days in by November.
See you at Winter Camp.

If I may ask how fast did you do 4th kyu I,m just a little apprehensive because I got winded really quickly.

NagaBaba 08-22-2010 08:05 AM

Quote:

Tim Evans wrote: (Post 263318)
Sorry I should have been more cleaer on my question how fast how fluid in my movements should be expected for 4th kyu .

I think until 2nd kyu you should be concentrated on building solid basics. So no power or speed is expected. Instead, correct technique, precision, correct posture and footwork, right entering angles, understanding basic distances, weight transfer, correct power creation etc is required.

Also, you should be able to show proper balance taking, correct body manipulation by using articulations(particularly elbow), efficient working basic locks and throws. You should be now starting to efficiently control your attacker with minimum of his help. For this aspect, I'd propose as a preparation, ask your attacker to slowly counter your test techniques if and when he can. While doing it, he must maintain flexible body and no competitive mind.

You should also be able to demonstrate excellent rolling skills (forward and backward) while you receiving techniques, and - if in your dojo required - be able to execute correctly high flying break falls i.e. from koshinage.

phitruong 08-22-2010 08:33 AM

Quote:

Tim Evans wrote: (Post 263316)

perfection! anything less is unacceptable and is punishable by promoting to shodan for the remain of your aikido career. :D

Linda Eskin 08-22-2010 10:47 AM

Great question, Tim. I'll be testing for 4th kyu in November, so I'm reading the answers with great interest. :-)

Szczepan - Thank you for your answer. Very helpful!

Tim - Regarding getting winded, breathing helps. ;) I'm serious though. It's something I've been playing with a lot the last couple of weeks - not holding my breath. Huge difference. Everything is easier.

lbb 08-22-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Tim Evans wrote: (Post 263328)

What Janet said was very useful for anyone testing, but it wasn't really the answer to your original question, though -- and unfortunately, no one who doesn't train at your dojo can really give you much insight into what you can expect on your test. That's why I agree that it doesn't make a lot of sense to ask that question here.

RED 08-22-2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

Tim Evans wrote: (Post 263333)
If I may ask how fast did you do 4th kyu I,m just a little apprehensive because I got winded really quickly.

My test was maybe 15-20 minutes long. My 3rd kyu was a little longer...maybe.(at least it felt longer) lol I don't think the kyu ranks are really long tests. At least they aren't in my school. At least in my school it isn't until 2nd kyu until they expect things to kick up the pace.
Who knows what your sensei might ask for in addition to the normal federation standard techniques.

Work on your endurance man. Take randori classes. Tests get more lively the higher the rank.

lbb 08-22-2010 02:54 PM

At our dojo, it sort of depends on how many people are testing. As long as there's room on the mat, everyone will go up together, but the teaching committee is trying to look at all of them, so the more people who are up there, the longer you will be up there doing techniques. We had a test in July with one person testing for sixth, one for fifth, three for fourth and one for third. They all started at the same time, then the sixth kyu candidate got told to sit down while everyone else continued...then fifth...etc. It was kind of the worst possible situation, really -- if there had been more, they would have had to take turns and could have got some rest; if there had been fewer, it wouldn't have taken as long for the teaching committee to see all they needed to see. Honestly, I think it was probably an hour and fifteen minutes on the clock, maybe an hour and a half, until all tests were done, but some of that time must have been spent bowing and whatnot (the third kyu candidate didn't drop dead...that's the only way I can explain it). Tests like that tend to wear out the whole dojo:D

tim evans 09-04-2010 12:07 PM

Quote:

Maggie Schill wrote: (Post 263348)
My test was maybe 15-20 minutes long. My 3rd kyu was a little longer...maybe.(at least it felt longer) lol I don't think the kyu ranks are really long tests. At least they aren't in my school. At least in my school it isn't until 2nd kyu until they expect things to kick up the pace.
Who knows what your sensei might ask for in addition to the normal federation standard techniques.

Work on your endurance man. Take randori classes. Tests get more lively the higher the rank.

Ive been watching a lot of usaf 4th kyu tests and one thing is sticking out at me nage is moving imho too fast into the techniques I have been told by my instructors that nage determines the speed or response .the opening movement,safe position is what I,m working on now.:)

WilliB 09-04-2010 09:28 PM

Quote:

Tim Evans wrote: (Post 263316)

Doesn´t that depend on the style and branch that you are in?

RED 09-04-2010 09:52 PM

Quote:

Tim Evans wrote: (Post 264152)
Ive been watching a lot of usaf 4th kyu tests and one thing is sticking out at me nage is moving imho too fast into the techniques I have been told by my instructors that nage determines the speed or response .the opening movement,safe position is what I,m working on now.:)

Yeah typically for 6th kyu- 3rd kyu going slow and purposeful is okay. At least in my school. You demonstrate, like you were trying to teach the movements to the viewers. Some where around 2nd kyu the test pick up pace. For your federation, you will see Randori formally in the 2nd kyu test so ,according to what I'm told, the pace needs to pick up there.
Everyone goes fast when they are nervous.
Except my 3rd kyu test. I was told that I was so tired(took a seminar that day) that I had went painfully too slow for a 3rd kyu test. They probably passed me just so they could get dinner before midnight. lol