AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Spiritual (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Excerpt from Sensei William Gleason's new book, "Aikido and Words of Power" (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15398)

Toby Bazarnick 11-18-2008 08:14 AM

Excerpt from Sensei William Gleason's new book, "Aikido and Words of Power"

The following is an excerpt from the book "Aikido and Words of Power - The Sacred Sounds of Kototama", by William Gleason, due to be published in 2009.

This chapter is "In the Beginning—The Kototama of Su"

Aikido has its roots in Japanese Shinto, the original teaching of which is the kototama. It is from the kototama, which translates as "the souls of words," that the innate sensibilities of language and thought are created.

The kototama, however, should not be seen as a tool for dividing people or distinguishing one race from another. As the root of thought itself, and therefore of all spoken language, it is a tool for understanding our common origins and ultimate unity.

The kototama is not a theory or even a teaching. It is the life energy, or ki, that gives birth to consciousness in all its myriad forms. In other words, it is mind that creates human beings, and not the other way around. Our uniqueness as members of the animal kingdom is our ability to translate our feelings into abstract thought, and therefore into creativity. The manner in which we use this tool largely determines the quality of our lives and even the life of our planet.

Click this link to read more of this excerpt...

"Aikido and Words of Power" will be available in early 2009, care of Destiny Books, www.innertraditions.com

Tristan Thorne 01-19-2009 06:06 AM

Re: Excerpt from Sensei William Gleason's new book, "Aikido and Words of Power"

i can't wait to read this book!

Toby Bazarnick 01-20-2009 03:00 AM

Quote:

Tristan Thorne wrote: (Post 223768)
i can't wait to read this book!

It is in the warehouses now - Sensei Gleason told me yesterday that he has a dozen advance copies and the rest are ready to ship.

I'm really looking forward to this book also.

JohnSeavitt 01-21-2009 10:37 AM

Quote:

Toby Bazarnick wrote: (Post 219713)
[b]The following is an excerpt from the book "Aikido and Words of Power - The Sacred Sounds of Kototama", by William Gleason, due to be published in 2009 ...

Thanks for the heads' up - I haven't trained there, but went by for a few conversations and it should be interesting to read a bit more on the subject.

John

Toby Bazarnick 02-02-2009 03:16 PM

Click this link to buy an autograped copy of William Gleason's new book, "Aikido and Words of Power"

Thank you for supporting Shobu Aikido of Boston, a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization.

Toby Bazarnick 02-02-2009 04:23 PM

Quote:

Toby Bazarnick wrote: (Post 224391)
Click this link to buy an autograped copy of...

He is no longer "autograping" books - sorry... You can get an autographed copy, which is almost as good!