AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   rashiki (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=893)

Michell Knight 05-22-2001 12:21 PM

rashiki

Greetings!
I have been reading the great posts/answers for some time---thought I would bring my own quest to this pool of knowledge.
Recently, (after the arrival of a couple of new students) sensei pointed at me from across the floor and said, "...you're in charge of rashiki." Whereby, he returned to his task at hand, and I ended up in the free flight of kata gruma (sp)! I have a basic knowledge of dojo etiquette (where to sit/stand, when to bow, don't walk behind sensei, handling weapons), even rudimentary knowledge of etiquette outside of the dojo (sensei eats first, gets to ride shotgun...)but, does anyone know of a more comprehensive source? I sense my sensei is noticing breeches in dojo rashiki that is otherwise going unnoticed. My only guess as to why I was picked (I am only mid-ranked in my dojo), is because I train pretty consistantly and would be most available to fellow students/members. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Jim ashby 05-22-2001 01:49 PM

Etiquette

Gets to eat first? Rides shotgun(whatever that is)? Who is this guy? He teaches you. On the mat he is Sensei. Off the mat he deserves some more respect than you would give a fellow student, because he should be someone you respect, BUT HE IS NOT A GOD. My own Sensei is Sensei on the mat, off the mat he is Tom. I give him the respect that I think he deserves, but if he expected me (or anyone in our association) to revere him in the way that your Sensei seems to expect, he'd soon be training by himself. Luckily, he would be the last person to expect reverence. When you're really good, you should be humble and act humbly. I strongly suspect the self-esteem of someone who expects this level of deference to be trained in to their students.

aikilouis 05-22-2001 02:19 PM

The basic principle of dojo etiquette is : make sure everyone has a humble attitude towards the art and the conditions of its practice. The best service you can provide to your club is to deflate your sensei's ego (for starters).

NYFE Man 05-22-2001 03:49 PM

Riding Shotgun

Quote:

Originally posted by Jim ashby
Rides shotgun(whatever that is)?
Jim --

Riding Shotgun: Americanism meaning to sit in the front passenger's seat of the car. A prized position, as it sometimes means being responsible for music selection, usually having more legroom, getting to see where you're going and being able to hear all the conversation in the car.

Is there a similar britishism for this?

Al Foote III

P.S. Since I've taken a tangent into colloquialisms (and from your bio it looks like you might be the perfect person to ask) what is the derivation of "being sent to Coventry?" I know what it means, but where did it come from?

Erik 05-22-2001 03:49 PM

Some years ago we had a Tae Kwon Do guy roll through the dojo. He told me that his Tae Kwon Do sensei used to call his students up and say things like, "my car is dirty" or "I'm repainting my bathroom". Of course, the students never had to say yes, but there were no black belts that ever said no.

Michell Knight 05-22-2001 09:54 PM

Yikes!!

I guess I should have been a bit clearer when I wrote of out-of-the-dojo etiquette. I was referring to formal gatherings, not every day "real-world" situtaions. My sensei is a pretty down to earth kind of guy. One of the members (a high school student) had his bike stolen, so sensei went to a few yard sales and picked him up a replacement out of his own pocket. He helped another guy track down a transmission for his car and spent three days helping him get the car up and running. Didn't know I would set off a powder keg with my post! Let's just say, I will try to be more specific in any future postings.

Jim ashby 05-23-2001 02:43 PM

Re: Sent to Coventry

Quote:

Originally posted by NYFE Man

Since I've taken a tangent into colloquialisms (and from your bio it looks like you might be the perfect person to ask) what is the derivation of "being sent to Coventry?" I know what it means, but where did it come from?

Hi Al,
Sent to Coventry came from the Civil war (ours of course!) when prisoners were sent to Coventry, as it was a walled city. When they arrived there was no communication with them, no-one would talk to them or even look at them. There are a lot of English colloquialisms which come from my neck of the woods, peeping tom, true blue etc.. Yours is the first reply I've had addressed to me by name, it's "kinda neat"
Have fun