AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   AikiWeb System (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Poll: Is your current aikido instructor the best aikido practitioner with whom you have ever trained? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10027)

AikiWeb System 03-19-2006 12:30 AM

Poll: Is your current aikido instructor the best aikido practitioner with whom you have ever trained?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of March 19, 2006:

Is your current aikido instructor the best aikido practitioner with whom you have ever trained?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Yes
  • No
Here are the current results.

Edwin Neal 03-19-2006 12:33 AM

Re: Poll: Is your current aikido instructor the best aikido practitioner with whom you have ever trained?

yes.

Mark Uttech 03-19-2006 05:10 AM

Re: Poll: Is your current aikido instructor the best aikido practitioner with whom you have ever trained?

I would think, that because of the endless seminars, and so forth, home dojos won't be where the best things are happening. This is a pity, but also the truth. Maybe it is in this area where we will find who are the true practioners worth following. So many are veering off into this and that cross-training; so many are into marketing and this and that workshop. I believe the truest thing that can happen is that the "village dojo" becomes a reality for a future world.

aikidoc 03-19-2006 06:04 AM

Yes.

ajbarron 03-19-2006 08:07 AM

Yes, because he has brought me to the level of appreciating the subtleties, variations and variety in the art of Aikido. He has also exposed his students to the likes of Kobayashi , Igarashi , Asai, Sugawara Shihans in our dojo's seminars. He is a student of Aikido and is not afraid to expose his students to practitioners who do things "differently" from him.

Therefore to answer the question, again, for the aforementioned reasons, He is the best aikido practitioner with whom I have ever trained.

PS We also get to laugh together ...................... about my aikido !!!

Calgary Aikikai

Qatana 03-19-2006 11:44 AM

Define "best".

Jorge Garcia 03-19-2006 05:03 PM

Absolutely! No doubt about it.

jducusin 03-19-2006 07:01 PM

Sheesh. I guess I must be pretty damn lucky. :D

- Jamie (who answered yes)

xuzen 03-19-2006 07:31 PM

I voted yes....or else I would not have stuck with him for these years.

Dirk Hanss 03-20-2006 02:07 AM

On seminars, I definately had better instructors.

And from the dojo here around, which I visited, I would not say, he is the best aikidoka, nor the best instructor, but he is good enough, that I have the feeling, he offers the best package I can get.

Dirk

Jorge Garcia 03-20-2006 03:24 AM

Wait a minute Edwin! Aren't you your own instructor! :D

billybob 03-20-2006 07:53 AM

I voted no, but I have issues with authority :)

Best Sensei I had was a crumpled up old woman, with crippling arthritis - who taught me that protecting uke was more important than learning how to kick arse. Miss her.

David

PS. Current Sensei is best at what he does - lightning atemi and being in superior position.
dk

John (King John) 03-21-2006 02:07 AM

Is this like saying, "Is your Mother the best mother in the world?" Is the answer ever going to be 'no'?

Nick Simpson 03-21-2006 04:58 AM

Good answer John. I've seen some other very good folks and there are plenty more people I would love to get out and train with/under in the future, currently: Yes.

Dirk Hanss 03-21-2006 05:08 AM

Quote:

John Chapman wrote:
Is this like saying, "Is your Mother the best mother in the world?" Is the answer ever going to be 'no'?

Well, could be like "Is your stepmother the best mother you ever had?" What would the answer then probably look like?

Dirk

DCP 03-21-2006 07:09 AM

Quote:

John Chapman wrote:

Of course some would answer, "no." However, I find aikidoists to be more polite than most other people.

Michael O'Brien 03-21-2006 02:33 PM

My instructor(s) is/are currently the best I have ever trained with so far, yes.

However, do to work and other time constraints I have not had the chance to attend any seminars yet. I'll be attending the one in Nashville with Ikeda Sensei coming in the end of April and hopefully attending 1 or 2 more between now and then.

My instructor openly admits that their are many who are better. I feel sure that is true and look forward to attending these seminars to see firsthand those who my instructor(s) hold in such high regard.

DCP 03-21-2006 03:14 PM

Quote:

Michael O'Brien wrote:

However, do to work and other time constraints I have not had the chance to attend any seminars yet. I'll be attending the one in Nashville with Ikeda Sensei coming in the end of April and hopefully attending 1 or 2 more between now and then.

If you get to do ukemi for Ikeda Sensei, I would love to hear what you have to say . . .

Michael O'Brien 03-21-2006 03:21 PM

Quote:

Daniel Pierson wrote:
If you get to do ukemi for Ikeda Sensei, I would love to hear what you have to say . . .

I'm sure there are probably others here that can already comment on that, but if I do get that honor I will definitely report back for you.

Amir Krause 03-22-2006 03:20 AM

My aikido instructor the best aikido instructor I have met so far, at least, the best for me.

I have practiced with better practitioners - When I visited Japan, I had the pleasure of direct practice with some of our Shihans, who are higher graded then my sensei, and some of which were better then him and even much better, but only in specific areas of expertise:
* The level of one of them in weapons work is multiple levels above my Sensei. Then again, this Shihan had learnt Koryu weapons as his first step in M.A. and only joined Korindo Aikido afterwards. His knowledge in weapons has actually increased the system curriculum.
* The Koshi-Mawashi (body movement?) of another Shihan was several levels above my Sensei. But I was aware of some other aspects of his that were not as good as my own Sensei. Then again, it had to do with his own aims in Aikido (I asked him about it).

I should mention that my own sensei has a very wide base in M.A. in general, even compared to those Shihan - his rank is about 5-6th Dan in Korindo Aikido, Judo and Karate (may be 7th in some, he stopped telling us of his grading a few years ago). So the difference is in nuances.

Amir

John (King John) 03-22-2006 05:41 AM

Quote:

Daniel Pierson wrote:
Of course some would answer, "no." However, I find aikidoists to be more polite than most other people.

I only wanted to raise a smile. Sadly there will be exceptions. Perhaps I should have simply said yes.

billybob 03-22-2006 09:41 AM

Quote:

If you'll allow me: "OUCH! Wow. How did you do?.........wow."

Juvenile comment, but I mean well. :)

dave

Meggy Gurova 03-23-2006 04:31 PM

Re: Poll: Is your current aikido instructor the best aikido practitioner with whom yo

How about "I donīt know" as an option? There are a lot off brilliant aikidokas I know, and who am I to compare them?

giriasis 03-23-2006 08:41 PM

I consider my sensei among the best. There are a few that I have trained with who I regard equally. I don't wish to compare them as they all have something great to bring to aikido. So, I haven't responded to this poll.

Lucy Smith 04-20-2006 11:05 PM

Yeah, he is, since he's a 3rd Dan, and all the other ppl with whom I've trained are 2nd Dan or lower. I did however witnessed a Seminar by Masatake Fujita Shihan (8th Dan from Hombu Dojo), but didn't participate 'cause I was so new I didn't have a gi and felt stupid. But he signed my t-shirt anyway, and I've got a photo with him :D