AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Japanese (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   translation (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13685)

Shany 12-16-2007 01:17 PM

translation

sorry to write in English,
but i want to know if those kanji letters are correct:

Shany Golan == シャニ ゴラン

thanks!

JW 12-16-2007 04:33 PM

Re: translation

Hi, looks right, or as close as you could get! Would be spelled out as "Shyani Goran" in romaji I think. Also it is not kanji, it is katakana, which is exactly what you would want for this. (Kanji is the Chinese characters.)

Shany 12-17-2007 12:41 AM

Hey Jonathan,

Thanks! Ok, Katakana thanks ! :)

nagoyajoe 12-17-2007 01:43 AM

Seems good to me.

Connor Haberland 03-12-2008 05:31 PM

It seems I cant type my Name in katakana on my computer, I can write it, just doesnt seem to work. I was expirementing with my language bar, set it on Japanese, switched to Katakana, tried my name out, didnt look right, it had the half the symbols right but when it came down to the r, it typed the r in romaji. any advice?

Tim Griffiths 03-13-2008 08:09 PM

Quote:

Connor Haberland wrote: (Post 201635)
It seems I cant type my Name in katakana on my computer, I can write it, just doesnt seem to work. I was expirementing with my language bar, set it on Japanese, switched to Katakana, tried my name out, didnt look right, it had the half the symbols right but when it came down to the r, it typed the r in romaji. any advice?

Type a 'u' after the 'r'? There isn't a kana for just an 'r' by itself.
I'd write it as KO-N-NO-RU HA-BU-RU-LA-N-DU. (Or maybe KO-N-NA would be better anyway?)

(Standard 老外 disclaimer applies)

Tim

Connor Haberland 03-14-2008 10:56 AM

Arigato, I'll be sure to try it.

odudog 03-14-2008 12:32 PM

I don't think the r would be used at all in your name written in katakana. It would sound like Ko na--- Ha be i ra n in my opinion.

Connor Haberland 03-14-2008 01:24 PM

ノラ耳ラスナ クチこなすなり地味品 thats how it came when i tims advice.

and this is mikes-ノラ道--- クチ故意に巣地も

Connor Haberland 03-14-2008 01:55 PM

that shows how stupid i am. I had it set to hiragana

Josh Reyer 03-14-2008 06:31 PM

First, Connor, what are you using? Mac? Windows? Linux?

Connor Haberland 03-14-2008 08:43 PM

Windows Vista

Josh Reyer 03-14-2008 09:49 PM

Quote:

Connor Haberland wrote: (Post 201760)
Windows Vista

Okay, so I'm going to assume that you're using some version of MS-IME. Essentially, it doesn't matter what setting you have the input method set on - hiragana or katakana. Both can be turned into the other. The first thing you have to make sure is that you have it set to romaji input, and not kana input. (Check the Properties.) Romaji input allows you to type in romaji and have it turn into kana. Typing k and o gives you こ, for example. Kana input is when each kana is mapped to different key, and takes some getting used to.

When you have it set to romaji input, and have the IME set to type Japanese script, the space bar is used to turn kana into kanji (or the other type of kana). For example, if I want to type Tokyo in Japanese, I would type to, u, kyo, u, and it would come out as とうきょう with a red line underneath. This red line indicates that the kana can be changed to kanji or katakana. By hitting the space bar, とうきょう becomes 東京, and then I hit "Enter" to confirm.

For example, if I want to write "Josh" in katakana, I simply type "jo" and "shu", and it comes up じょしゅ. Then I hit the space bar, and among other kanji options there is also the katakana version of ジョシュ, which I can select and confirm by pressing enter.

Whether the input is set to hiragana or katakana simply changes what the default kana are. They can still be changed to kanji, or the other kana. If I set it to katakana, then when I type to, u, kyo, u, it comes out トウキョウ, but when I hit the space bar it becomes 東京.

So, when you have it set to romaji input, and whichever kana setting you want (hiragana or katakana, either will work), then you just have to type out your name in romaji to get it to come up right, and don't hit the space bar unless you want to change the characters to something else.

With standard English transliteration conventions, "Connor" would be transliterated into Japanese as "Konaa", that is, ko, na, and then a lengthing bar at the end. (You get this in the IME by hitting the hyphen key). It would look like this コナー.

I don't know exactly how "Haberland" would be pronounced. If it's like "HAY-ber-land", then it would be "Hebaarando" ヘバーランド, possibly even Heebaarando ヘーバーランド, with lengthening bar after the "e". If it's like, "HAH-ber-land", then it would be Habaarando, ハバーランド.

"Ru" is used to transliterate initial "ru", initial "lu", and final "l". If I saw konaru in katakana, I'd expect some name like "Conal".

Hope this helps.

Connor Haberland 03-15-2008 08:27 AM

Thanks, my last name is pronounced HAYberland. That helps alot.

David Partington 03-15-2008 05:04 PM

Hi Shany,

Katakana is phonetic. If you pronounce the sha part of your name like shall then what was previously written was correct. If however, you pronounce your name like shay-knee then it would be more like シェーニ.

dragonteeth 03-15-2008 10:42 PM

While we're on this subject I have a question. I'm getting ready to order another hakama for iaido use (love my Bujin, but the aiki-koshita gets in the way of sayabiki), and plan to have this one embroidered. Is there a specific way to break up consonant combinations that don't work in Japanese? In other words, is there a preferred way to represent the Sn sound in my last name? I'm thinking su-ni-do - does that sound right?

I also looked at sa-ni-do, and had to laugh when I checked the dictionary just in case. My teachers might think that more appropriate for my hard-headed learning style - from what I can tell it means "help two times!":o

Thanks!

Josh Reyer 03-16-2008 01:29 AM

Quote:

Lori Snidow wrote: (Post 201795)
While we're on this subject I have a question. I'm getting ready to order another hakama for iaido use (love my Bujin, but the aiki-koshita gets in the way of sayabiki), and plan to have this one embroidered. Is there a specific way to break up consonant combinations that don't work in Japanese? In other words, is there a preferred way to represent the Sn sound in my last name? I'm thinking su-ni-do - does that sound right?

That is indeed the way it would be. "u" is sometimes unvoiced in Japanese, so it's typically used to represent combinations. E.g., "sky" "sukai". "Class" "kurasu".

I expect to it get it to sound right, you'll have to put lengthing bars after the "ni" and the "do". Japanese vowels are quite clipped. I recommend:

スニードー su ni - do -

dragonteeth 03-16-2008 01:12 PM

Thanks Josh! I was thinking that to trully come close it should be su-nai-do, スナイドー. Does that look right, or should I lengthen the ai too?

Oh, and by the way, Happy Birthday Josh! =)

Connor Haberland 03-16-2008 05:55 PM

Quote:

Joshua Reyer wrote: (Post 201763)
Okay, so I'm going to assume that you're using some version of MS-IME. Essentially, it doesn't matter what setting you have the input method set on - hiragana or katakana. Both can be turned into the other. The first thing you have to make sure is that you have it set to romaji input, and not kana input. (Check the Properties.) Romaji input allows you to type in romaji and have it turn into kana. Typing k and o gives you こ, for example. Kana input is when each kana is mapped to different key, and takes some getting used to.

When you have it set to romaji input, and have the IME set to type Japanese script, the space bar is used to turn kana into kanji (or the other type of kana). For example, if I want to type Tokyo in Japanese, I would type to, u, kyo, u, and it would come out as とうきょう with a red line underneath. This red line indicates that the kana can be changed to kanji or katakana. By hitting the space bar, とうきょう becomes 東京, and then I hit "Enter" to confirm.

For example, if I want to write "Josh" in katakana, I simply type "jo" and "shu", and it comes up じょしゅ. Then I hit the space bar, and among other kanji options there is also the katakana version of ジョシュ, which I can select and confirm by pressing enter.

Whether the input is set to hiragana or katakana simply changes what the default kana are. They can still be changed to kanji, or the other kana. If I set it to katakana, then when I type to, u, kyo, u, it comes out トウキョウ, but when I hit the space bar it becomes 東京.

So, when you have it set to romaji input, and whichever kana setting you want (hiragana or katakana, either will work), then you just have to type out your name in romaji to get it to come up right, and don't hit the space bar unless you want to change the characters to something else.

With standard English transliteration conventions, "Connor" would be transliterated into Japanese as "Konaa", that is, ko, na, and then a lengthing bar at the end. (You get this in the IME by hitting the hyphen key). It would look like this コナー.

I don't know exactly how "Haberland" would be pronounced. If it's like "HAY-ber-land", then it would be "Hebaarando" ヘバーランド, possibly even Heebaarando ヘーバーランド, with lengthening bar after the "e". If it's like, "HAH-ber-land", then it would be Habaarando, ハバーランド.

"Ru" is used to transliterate initial "ru", initial "lu", and final "l". If I saw konaru in katakana, I'd expect some name like "Conal".

Hope this helps.

Arigato, I typed it correctly this time. I just didnt have it set to romaji input. コナーへバーランド once again ARIGATO!

boyana 03-19-2008 09:31 PM

Can somebody please translate my name?B O Y A N A!

Connor Haberland 03-20-2008 01:14 PM

Quote:

Boyana Stone Levy wrote: (Post 202128)
Can somebody please translate my name?B O Y A N A!

Boyana=ボヤナ. That is really the best I could do.

boyana 03-30-2008 07:42 PM

DEAR CONNOR!
ARIGATOU!
It is very OISHII!
I just love it!

Connor Haberland 04-02-2008 05:33 PM

youre welcome

boyana 04-12-2008 02:15 AM

Please what does YOSHI means?

Josh Reyer 04-12-2008 11:46 PM

Quote:

Boyana Stone Levy wrote: (Post 203565)
Please what does YOSHI means?

Um, we're gonna need a lot more context...