AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Teaching (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   teaching as a student (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23646)

thaumadzomen 05-27-2014 03:25 PM

teaching as a student

hi!

in the kids group I am with the more experienced people (I think), and our teacher asked us to give one lesson each. a friend of mine and I are an exception, because I'm a little unsure and nervous I asked to do it together. so this saturday it's our turn and I'm going to do an ikio-hipthrow (=koshinage?) and a basic exercise on the hipthrow and my friend is doing an ikio-sankio d a basic ikio exercise. does any of you have good advice for helping young Kidds that are not realtime interested with the exercise? or other advice?

Thanks in advance!

thaumadzomen 05-28-2014 04:14 AM

Re: teaching as a student

Quote:

Andreas Huysman wrote: (Post 337271)
hi!

in the younger group in the dojo I am with the more experienced people (I think), and our teacher asked us to give one lesson each. a friend of mine and I are an exception, because I'm a little unsure and nervous I asked to do it together. so this saturday it's our turn and I'm going to do an ikio-hipthrow (=koshinage?) and a basic exercise on the hipthrow and my friend is doing an ikio-sankio and a basic ikio exercise. does any of you have good advice for helping young Kidds that are not really interested with the exercise? or other advice?

Thanks in advance!

Correction: ikio-sankio and a basic ikio exercise
Realtime should be really

Janet Rosen 05-28-2014 10:22 AM

Andreas, I'm not sure exactly what your situation is. You are afraid the children will not be interested? I would say that is not your problem but your teacher's problem :-)
Do not worry. Your instructor is asking you to provide a demo and explanation and my guess is that he is watching to see how YOU do, not whether or not you entertain the children.

thaumadzomen 05-28-2014 10:44 AM

Sorry if I didn't explain it good, but I realy want to learn those kids how to perform hipthrow good. And the sankyo-koshinage is realy hard and I don't want to fail in front of the others. the hipthrow is hard to do with my friend because he is to tall and heavy.
Do you teach aikido? To children? How do you keep them interested? Because one of those kids just doesn't want to do the exercise if he can't do it right in one try.
If you have advice for hip throw, I'm glad to hear it :)

lbb 05-28-2014 11:55 AM

Have these kids seen this technique before?

How old are the kids?

How long is the class?

My reason for asking: with the typical group of kids in an aikido class (and the typical class length), you won't get very far introducing a brand new technique. You are more likely to succeed if you teach something that they "know" already, but done in a different way -- for example, with a different opening or different footwork, or from a different attack. Not only you are more likely to succeed, but you will be teaching them something more fundamental and more important than a new waza.

thaumadzomen 05-28-2014 12:05 PM

1u30, and a friend of mine has to do his techniques also in that time + the warming up.

some of them already know how to perform this technique, so I'l mix them up.

they are varying between 8 and 18.

if I have extra time I'l do randori with koshinage and some taisabaki.

Janet Rosen 05-28-2014 01:31 PM

Never have I seen a kid's Aikido class do sankyo koshinage, or any koshinage now that I think of it. I realize they must do hip throws in Judo kids' classes so it's not that big a deal if the school doesn't make it one....
Anyway, if you have a student of ANY age who expects to get it right the first time and then loses interest, I wouldn't worry about keeping his interest with your teaching. It is the student's problem so long as he doesn't create a disturbance, in which case it's Sensei's problem.

thaumadzomen 05-28-2014 01:41 PM

did I said sankyo-koshinage? I ment ikio-koshinage, sorry. thanks for the advice :)

thaumadzomen 05-31-2014 04:45 AM

it went great!
there were only 8 other people and the youngest kids were absent!
at the end we did randori with koshi nage and some other techniques, we were creative ;)

Janet Rosen 05-31-2014 04:02 PM

:-)