AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Need some practical advice (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9847)

KaitlinCostello 02-18-2006 06:59 PM

Need some practical advice

HoHum... :D Call me Born again green.

Starting over is such wonderful fun, especially in a town where you dont know anyone! Wee. Onto the questions ye faithful readers:

Opinions Needed!
Dojo ettiquette- Forgive the oddness of this question. I dont want to offend or distract others, but I have a sizable tattoo on the back of my neck. Should I cover it up, just to be on the safe side? :eek:

Any night shift people. Us hard working non sleeping folks of the 10p to 6a era? What time workds best for you training wise?

For thoseof you who have gone dojo hopping, did you sit in and observe, or did you dive into a class?

Thanks!
Ellie

Edwin Neal 02-18-2006 07:23 PM

Re: Need some practical advice

i don't worry worry about tattoos, probably you shouldn't worry about it... you would probably look very odd practicing with a scarf... lol... as most classes are usually evening say 5-9 pm that is when you will likely have to practice, but some places do offer other times... before work is okay because i usually am energized after class... as to classes i like to dive right in, but i am somewhat experienced, but it depends on the instructor... some insist you watch at least one class first... good luck!
ps what is your tattoo?

KaitlinCostello 02-18-2006 07:42 PM

Wouldn't you like to know ;)

-lol- The three phases of the moon in red and black, with the symbol for 'believe' in kanjii in the middle. And indeed it would look weird wearing a scarf -chuckles- but I suppose if its okay to run around in skirts in aikido, accessorizing shouldn't be too far fetched?

Edwin Neal 02-18-2006 08:03 PM

true enough!!! nice design did you "make" it yourself? none of my tattoos are visible in gi...

KaitlinCostello 02-18-2006 08:10 PM

Made it my self with a penny and a piece of paper -l- Its not complicated, but in simplicity I find it to be pleasing.

GaiaM 02-18-2006 08:18 PM

I also don't recommend the scarf...

I always jump right into class when I visit dojos. If you have at least, say, a year of experience, I would certainly recommend this. If not, then maybe watch a class first so you can see what you're getting into.

Gaia

crbateman 02-18-2006 09:08 PM

It's an inspirational message, so no one should be offended. If, on the other hand, it said.... (never mind)

MaryKaye 02-19-2006 12:21 AM

Just showing up and attending classes has worked well for me. If I feel uneasy I tell the instructor "My dojo de-emphasizes breakfalls, please be a bit careful with me." I've only sat out once, and that was because it was apparent at a glance that the class would require more aerobic endurance than I could possibly manage.

The tatoo wouldn't be a problem for us. I did have one funny experience with henna temporary tattoos. An unfamiliar junior student went to attack me--I was calm up until the point where she opened both hands to grab and there were eyes on her palms looking at me! I flinched, she overran me....

Mary Kaye

Dajo251 02-19-2006 12:31 AM

Quote:

Gaia Thurston-Shaine wrote:
I also don't recommend the scarf...

Gaia

A scarf isnt a good idea.....I could see an overzelous persn grabbing that, I have long hair that is alwasy braided and several people have grabbed that on accedent during class, and once on purpose....

Karen Wolek 02-19-2006 10:32 AM

Quote:

Daniel Hulley wrote:
A scarf isnt a good idea.....I could see an overzelous persn grabbing that, I have long hair that is alwasy braided and several people have grabbed that on accedent during class, and once on purpose....

Only ONCE on purpose?

Wow, your practice partners are much nicer than mine! :D

Dajo251 02-19-2006 05:04 PM

my instructer was demonstrating a technique on me, where you grab the persons coller and well he noticed my hair and decided that would work just as well, and it did, sure as hell got me movien

RebeccaM 02-19-2006 05:17 PM

Lots of people with tattoos train. It's not a big deal.

Grabbing me by the ponytail annoys me more than it hurts me. Grabbing the short hairs on the back of my neck, OTOH....I had someone do that to me once. He did it repeatedly. The first few times it was effective. Then I got got past the pain and noticed he wasn't really using technique so I grit my teeth and did a reversal. He stopped pulling my hair after that.

Michael O'Brien 02-20-2006 02:50 PM

I don't see the tattoo being a problem at all; As far as sitting and observing vs. jumping in goes if I am evaluating a dojo I want to consider training in long term I usually observe one class first and then go back and try it on the mat after that. If I am out of town traveling due to work then I try to do some research of dojos in the area ahead of time and just jump on the mat and train.

I work 3:00 PM - 11:00 PM and the only time I can train is Tues/Thur morning from 6:30-7:30 AM so it is almost no sleep on those 2 days before class. Beyond that I normally find myself most comfortable working out between about 10:00 AM and noon on my non class days.