AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Supplies (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Hakama: Tozando or Iwata brand? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18624)

Dennis Chua 09-02-2010 12:25 AM

Hakama: Tozando or Iwata brand?

Hello all!

Just wondering if anyone has bought or used the Tozando Tetron hakama? What's your take on it? Has anyone used hakama from both Tozando or Iwata? How would you compare the quality? Which would you recommend? Based on their respective websites, there are a number of different types and am actually thinking of getting the most inexpensive one (Tetron from Tozando or Polyester A from Iwata) from either brand due to budget concerns. Your input shall be highly appreciated. :)
Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Dennis

ninjaqutie 09-02-2010 09:35 AM

Re: Hakama: Tozando or Iwata brand?

My guess is you will get responses from people in both camps. HOWEVER, you won't get many responses in this area. You should post this in another area (supplies). Perhaps Jun will move it for you.

Tijmen Ramakers 09-02-2010 02:54 PM

I have hakama from both Tozando (100% polyester version, so not the Tetron) and Iwata (polyester A).
Both have nicely stitched obi. The fabric of the Tozando looks really nice, and is a little bit thicker/heavier than the Iwata one. It's also a lot smoother/slicker, and because of that slickness, the knots in the obi always loosen up during practice. Could be my inability to properly tie it, but anyway, that's why I prefer the Iwata, which doesn't have that problem. On the downside, I find that the quality of the stitching on the Iwata is really sub par given its price tag. On both ones that I have, the triangular patches at the koshita were done with no more than 3 stitches or so, and they came loose after some time (fixed this myself with a needle and thread). Tozando does a much better job here. Also on both Iwata ones, I've had stitching at the side (connecting the front and back legs) rip, due to falling or getting up while my training partner was accidentally standing on my hakama.

ninjaqutie 09-02-2010 03:07 PM

I have heard several people say that recently purchased hakama's from Iwata aren't stiched as nice as their older ones. It is a shame if that is the case.

Marc Abrams 09-02-2010 03:19 PM

Very happy with my Tozando so far. Had it for the last three years. No real signs of wear yet.

marc abrams

Tijmen Ramakers 09-02-2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Ashley Carter wrote: (Post 264075)
I have heard several people say that recently purchased hakama's from Iwata aren't stiched as nice as their older ones. It is a shame if that is the case.

FWIW, My first Iwata is from Dec 2005. That was my first hakama and turned out to have bought a size too small, so early 2007 I got the Tozando, and the second Iwata probably in 2008. Nowadays, I mostly use that second Iwata for aikido, unless it's hanging out to dry after washing (or waiting for restitching ;) ), then I use the Tozando. I also still use the first Iwata, but for Iaido.

Dennis Chua 09-03-2010 07:39 PM

Hi Ashley... Am sorry that I posted this question in the wrong place. I just very recently joined the aikiweb community and it's my first time to use/ post a question :D Thank you for the heads up though...but in any case, I do hope Jun will move it to the proper area.

Hi Tijmen & Marc... thanks for your inputs. Looks like Tozando must be the better choice then. :p

Sincerely,
Dennis

raul rodrigo 09-04-2010 11:36 AM

Well, Dennis, I'm an iwata guy myself. I bought a tozando but wasnt quite happy with it. Then I got an Iwata. My next one will be an Iwata.

Gerardo Torres 03-29-2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Marc Abrams wrote: (Post 264076)
Very happy with my Tozando so far. Had it for the last three years. No real signs of wear yet.

marc abrams

Same here. Have had mine for over 5 years and pleats, himo, everything is in place and the fabric still maintains the luster. Love the traditional but flexible koshi-ita. Probably the best quality piece of martial arts uniform I've purchased.