AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Techniques (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Kids practicing Kotegaeshi (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19733)

Red Beetle 04-18-2011 05:48 PM

Kids practicing Kotegaeshi

Kids 12 and under practice kotegaeshi outside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTu9-cDWZ1A

Marc Abrams 04-19-2011 08:00 AM

Re: Kids practicing Kotegaeshi

Quote:

Monty Collier wrote: (Post 281733)

With all due respect, the technique is being performed in a manner that opens the nage up to being struck with the free hand if the uke did not want to take ukemi. On top of that, no kazushi before the finish. Good start, but I would go back to the drawing board........

Marc Abrams

Red Beetle 04-19-2011 10:12 AM

Quote:

Marc Abrams wrote: (Post 281749)
With all due respect, the technique is being performed in a manner that opens the nage up to being struck with the free hand if the uke did not want to take ukemi. On top of that, no kazushi before the finish. Good start, but I would go back to the drawing board........

Marc Abrams

Hey Marc,
Thanks for commenting.
They're just starting.
This was their first practice
with the ukemi (on this technique).

Did you notice how I used the
declivity of the hill to ease the
ukemi? What do you think?

Marc Abrams 04-19-2011 12:38 PM

Quote:

Monty Collier wrote: (Post 281773)
Hey Marc,
Thanks for commenting.
They're just starting.
This was their first practice
with the ukemi (on this technique).

Did you notice how I used the
declivity of the hill to ease the
ukemi? What do you think?

Monty:

I spend a majority of my time with the children developing a good external and internal structure and then help them to work on achieving kazushi without them having to "worry" about techniques. That way, when they begin working on stuff like that, it tends to work better because the basic foundations of making a technique work are there before the techniques. Otherwise, the kids become "surprised" when a non-compliant kid does not roll for them but instead clocks them..... I think we tend to focus too much on techniques instead of the the fundamentals that really make them work. Just me 2 cents of course, and with today's economy, not worth even that.....

The hill is an interesting idea. I frankly am surprised how little assistance children need with ukemi. It tends to be the adults, who have a life-long base of muscle fears and tensions, that tend to have real problems with ukemi.

Regards,

marc abrams

Tony Wagstaffe 04-19-2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Marc Abrams wrote: (Post 281749)

Marc Abrams

I think it's good that they are looking to see that they can do the breakfall which to my mind is exactly what they are doing? Outside on the grass where they can land safely on the mats they have positioned before they practise?
Waza is useless for anybody if they can't escape it first? That is where the fear comes in, the inability to do good ukemi?
I'd love to have those two kids in my dojo.....:) Alas 'elf & safety makes it a big no no......:(

Marc Abrams 04-19-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote: (Post 281795)
I think it's good that they are looking to see that they can do the breakfall which to my mind is exactly what they are doing? Outside on the grass where they can land safely on the mats they have positioned before they practise?
Waza is useless for anybody if they can't escape it first? That is where the fear comes in, the inability to do good ukemi?
I'd love to have those two kids in my dojo.....:) Alas 'elf & safety makes it a big no no......:(

Tony:

Thank you for sharing......

Marc Abrams

Mark Freeman 04-19-2011 03:12 PM

Quote:

Hi Tony,

why? what does health and safety prevent kids from practicing. I have 16 kids in my club and H&S doesn't prevent me from teaching them anything. We have our own rules of engagement and nobody gets damaged.

I know Health and Safety regulations can be blamed for many things, but what is it that prevents you from teaching kids?

regards

Mark

Tony Wagstaffe 04-19-2011 06:24 PM

Quote:

Mark Freeman wrote: (Post 281807)
Hi Tony,

why? what does health and safety prevent kids from practicing. I have 16 kids in my club and H&S doesn't prevent me from teaching them anything. We have our own rules of engagement and nobody gets damaged.

I know Health and Safety regulations can be blamed for many things, but what is it that prevents you from teaching kids?

regards

Mark

Hello Mark,
Commitment is one and parents is another, there is nothing worse than a parent/s who thinks their kids need toughening up. Maybe they should set the example? I used to teach kids and the minority loved it
One tries to make it fun within reason, but kids generally these days are not good on commitment, they seem to be a rarity..... I always had an informal chat with each one on their own to see what it is they want from martial arts, it's surprising what they come up with..... Very few understand what it is they are letting themselves in for....... I always gave them a few free lessons to see if they were going to like it.
There is always one that somehow doesn't fit in no matter what you do to help or encourage. I generally refer them to the local judo club now, if they can cope with judo, then maybe I will entertain it. I don't take anybody under 16 years now and only with the parents or guardians express permission. I also have a chat with the parents to to see what they have to say, it helps me to appraise what they and their child really wants from it.....Maybe you've been lucky so far....?

philipsmith 04-20-2011 01:54 AM

Quote:

I don't get that we have three kids classes a week in my dojo with up to 20 kids on the mat.

No problem at all - even when one got a foot to the nose last week!

I find our kids to be disciplined and enthusiastic. To be frank I get a bit fed up with all the negativity around kids classes - perhaps it's a comment on the instructors willingness not to be bothered with "just kids"

philipsmith 04-20-2011 01:57 AM

Oh forgot to say I think the video is good and like the idea of developing good ukemi as soon as possible.
Monty just keep doin' what you're doin'

Tony Wagstaffe 04-20-2011 02:26 AM

Quote:

Philip Smith wrote: (Post 281853)
I don't get that we have three kids classes a week in my dojo with up to 20 kids on the mat.

No problem at all - even when one got a foot to the nose last week!

I find our kids to be disciplined and enthusiastic. To be frank I get a bit fed up with all the negativity around kids classes - perhaps it's a comment on the instructors willingness not to be bothered with "just kids"

Sorry wrong, kids can't be "bovered" with me.... Maybe I'm too disciplined?
I see some MA clubs and quite honestly it's really a play club with very little instruction in the ma they are doing. I'm just not into that... all the badges and knick knacks, sorry it's just not my scene.....
Probably got something to do with it being an "effluent" area?
I really don't know....

Conrad Gus 04-20-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote: (Post 281857)
Sorry wrong, kids can't be "bovered" with me.... Maybe I'm too disciplined?
I see some MA clubs and quite honestly it's really a play club with very little instruction in the ma they are doing. I'm just not into that... all the badges and knick knacks, sorry it's just not my scene.....
Probably got something to do with it being an "effluent" area?
I really don't know....

This post cracked me up! Welcome back to the forum Tony.

denstock 07-19-2011 12:47 AM

Quote:

Monty Collier wrote: (Post 281733)

well good start for them, thought not perfect