AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Shodan certificate and yudansha booklet (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16543)

Tinyboy344 07-30-2009 06:10 PM

Shodan certificate and yudansha booklet

Just outta curiosity. How long does it usually take the paper work to process and the items above to go from Japan to an individual dojo?

Aikiscott 07-30-2009 06:23 PM

Re: Shodan certificate and yudansha booklet

It took mine just over a year. But that was going via the UK through our parent organisation.

jimbaker 07-30-2009 09:26 PM

Most Aikido organizations wait until they have a batch of certificate requests to send to Hombu. This can also add to the turn around time.

ChrisHein 07-30-2009 09:42 PM

It was over a year for mine as well.

Tinyboy344 07-30-2009 09:57 PM

So the average waiting time based on the replies above is a little over one year... Wow!... Interesting...

Peter Goldsbury 07-30-2009 11:32 PM

Quote:

Duy Trinh wrote: (Post 236139)
So the average waiting time based on the replies above is a little over one year... Wow!... Interesting...

With me it is nowhere near as long as a year. It usually about 6 weeks to two months.

I sent a batch of kyu and dan forms to the Aikikai Hombu last week (from my own dojo: our kyu ranks are given by the Aikikai also) and I will probably receive them in late August / early September.

Similarly with the dan examinations in the Netherlands. I will bring the forms back with me and send or take them to the Aikikai. The diplomas will arrive around October. I will present the diplomas on my visit next Spring.

Best wishes,

Walter Martindale 07-31-2009 12:33 AM

Quote:

Peter A Goldsbury wrote: (Post 236143)
With me it is nowhere near as long as a year. It usually about 6 weeks to two months.

I sent a batch of kyu and dan forms to the Aikikai Hombu last week (from my own dojo: our kyu ranks are given by the Aikikai also) and I will probably receive them in late August / early September.

Similarly with the dan examinations in the Netherlands. I will bring the forms back with me and send or take them to the Aikikai. The diplomas will arrive around October. I will present the diplomas on my visit next Spring.

Best wishes,

If I recall correctly... I tested in late January in Canada, 2007. Moved to NZ to take a new job in February 2007. Certificate and book arrived in NZ (via Calgary) in April, 2007.
Walter

Alex Megann 07-31-2009 02:55 AM

Here in the BAF it is usually four to six weeks. Our yudansha gradings take place at Summer School at the start of August, the guest shihan takes the list of names back with him to Hombu, and Kanetsuka Sensei normally presents the certificates either at the London course in September or in Oxford in October.

There are cases where an individual does not manage get to the courses for a while after their grading, but that is not the fault of the organisation. A year's delay does suggest that something is not quite right!

Alex

Tinyboy344 07-31-2009 08:31 AM

Quote:

Alex Megann wrote: (Post 236146)
Here usually four to six weeks...A year's delay does suggest that something is not quite right!

Alex

So after, let's say 14 months and the stuff is nowhere to be seen or even mentioned, should an individual say "Yo sensei, what is going on? Where my stuff brah?" :-p or patient really is a virtue

Tinyboy344 07-31-2009 09:59 PM

Woah woah, there has to be more than 5 or 6 yudansha in here. Come on, how long did u have to wait for your certificate?

rulemaker 08-01-2009 04:50 AM

Got my Yudansha and Certificate from Hombu Dojo after one month.

jason jordan 08-01-2009 06:46 AM

Quote:

Duy Trinh wrote: (Post 236161)
So after, let's say 14 months and the stuff is nowhere to be seen or even mentioned, should an individual say "Yo sensei, what is going on? Where my stuff brah?" :-p or patient really is a virtue

:D Funny! Well my Shodan came I think in about 2 or 3 months.
But I know for a fact that my sensei sends a huge batch at a time, as he has a federation to handle. So he has people in all over the country and including Mexico.

I don't remember how long it took for the others. I really didn't care after I got my shodan.

The only other rank I care about is the 8th dan. And that's only because it marks tenure.

ChristianBoddum 08-01-2009 06:50 AM

Hi !

My Aikido shodan was 1 year,
but I'm still waiting for my Aiki Toho iai do certificate,
that's 2 + years, it will be 3 years after come spring 2010.

The reason is a new organization is being setup for
Aiki Toho Iai do, as it it is not recognized as an Iaido style
by The Japanese Iaido association (Iaido renmei... something!)
Aiki Toho Iai was a creation by Nishio sensei,
and it is not traditional Iaido.

So I will have to be patient :)

mrjam2jab 08-05-2009 10:02 PM

I tested in March...certificate was brought back from Japan in July.

Curious, was is this yudansha booklet you speak of?

CitoMaramba 08-06-2009 02:19 AM

Quote:

Christian Boddum wrote: (Post 236245)
Hi !

My Aikido shodan was 1 year,
but I'm still waiting for my Aiki Toho iai do certificate,
that's 2 + years, it will be 3 years after come spring 2010.

The reason is a new organization is being setup for
Aiki Toho Iai do, as it it is not recognized as an Iaido style
by The Japanese Iaido association (Iaido renmei... something!)
Aiki Toho Iai was a creation by Nishio sensei,
and it is not traditional Iaido.

So I will have to be patient :)

Hi Christian,
The Yufukan, headed by Koji Yoshida Sensei, now uses the name "Nishio Ryu Toho Iai" as can be seen on their website.http://www.yufukan.com/
They have a certificate for it as well (please see below)
Have you heard anything about no longer using the name "Aiki Toho Iai"?

(translation: "CERTIFICATION This is to certify that Taro Nippon has qualified for 3 DAN in Nishio-ryu TOHO IAI 1, April, 2008 YUFUKAN JAPAN Shihan Koji YOSHIDA"

Tinyboy344 08-06-2009 08:25 AM

Quote:

Scott Berstler wrote: (Post 236833)
I tested in March...certificate was brought back from Japan in July.

Curious, was is this yudansha booklet you speak of?

Doesn't every Yudansha get a booklet? Isn't it kinda like a "blackbelt passport for seminars stamps and stuff? I'm not sure cuz I'm not up there yet :D

Lan Powers 08-06-2009 08:46 AM

Booklet and Sho-sho (cert.) arrived in a 2-3 months via mail.
a year seems a LONG wait.....(impatient American that I am)
Best
Lan

dave9nine 08-06-2009 10:28 AM

my shodan took 6 months to go from my dojo to our organization secretary at another dojo, to hombu, back to secretary, back to our dojo.....then another 2 months sitting on the shomen until an event came along during which sensei could present the certificate!
booklet included

Lan Powers 08-06-2009 01:38 PM

Heh!
Way out in the sticks as we are here, it is an EVENT worthy of note to have a Dan certificate to present. Other items are scheduled around that......
Lan

mrjam2jab 08-10-2009 01:52 PM

Quote:

Duy Trinh wrote: (Post 236867)
Doesn't every Yudansha get a booklet? Isn't it kinda like a "blackbelt passport for seminars stamps and stuff? I'm not sure cuz I'm not up there yet :D

ahh... the passport. Every student in our style got one...not Dan ranks only. Keeps track of all rank tests and camps attended. I dont think i've heard the "Yudansha" word before...thats what threw me off.

Maarten De Queecker 08-12-2009 05:28 AM

What do you need "seminar stamps" for?

Basia Halliop 08-12-2009 07:59 AM

Quote:

ahh... the passport. Every student in our style got one...not Dan ranks only. Keeps track of all rank tests and camps attended. I dont think i've heard the "Yudansha" word before...thats what threw me off.
The ones for white belts are called yukyusha books.

Lan Powers 08-12-2009 08:07 AM

Mudansha=kyu ranks....all student ranks below black belt
Yudansha=Dan ranks....all black belt rankings

Seminar stamps in the booklet show attendance at a training session by a shihon-level instructor. (or just a regional training event by a lesser-ranked instructor.

Varies wildly from one organization to another.
Train hard
Lan

Maarten De Queecker 08-12-2009 10:11 AM

Quote:

Lan Powers wrote: (Post 237529)
Mudansha=kyu ranks....all student ranks below black belt
Yudansha=Dan ranks....all black belt rankings

Seminar stamps in the booklet show attendance at a training session by a shihon-level instructor. (or just a regional training event by a lesser-ranked instructor.

Varies wildly from one organization to another.
Train hard
Lan

So you need to have visited a number of seminars before you are allowed to test for shodan?

Basia Halliop 08-12-2009 10:48 AM

Doesn't 'mudansha' include mukyusha, i.e., those who have never tested and have no rank, kyu or dan? I didn't get my book until after my 5th kyu test - actually it took like a year before I actually got it :rolleyes: In any case I've always heard the white-belt booklets called yukyusha books (and the people yukyushas), but maybe it varies from place to place. That's what it seems to be called in the USAF, though, at least everywhere I've been so far.

E.g.: http://www.nyaikikai.com/tests.asp