AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Leaving the Dojo (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6305)

Hanna B 08-26-2004 08:42 AM

Re: Leaving the Dojo

Quote:

romuel villareal wrote:
Hanna, sempai said on alternate schedules? what problems do you see? Pls share your thoughts. :)

I see competition issues. One of my previous teachers was of the opinion that it was better to share space with a karate dojo than a jujutsu dito; karate and aikido does not compete for the same students, which aikido and jujutsu does to a certain extent. Well, what about aikido and aikido...?

Who gets more students, and why? Can students transfer freely inbetween dojos? I mean, I took the beginner's class in dojo A but now the schedule in dojo B fits me much better... I do not suppose the Japanese would even think that way, but we westerners do. If many students change from dojo B to dojo A, than the B people might accuse the A people of stealing students. Well, not in the best of worlds, but...

villrg0a 08-26-2004 02:39 PM

thanks for the tokyo info Chris

Hi George
Sempai was willing to go for a test with the new sensei, if he failed at least he knows he's not ready yet and will willingly accept it. Sempai wanted the old sensei to test him or award it publicly. You are right, the aikido community where sempai is situated is rather small, and he should have really kept his mouth shut. But things have already been said....poor sempai.

I'll keep you guys posted on how this joining under one roof turns out - I will meet with sempai tomorrow. Thanks again George, that was a very juicy input, it sounded very professional and matured. Cheers!

villrg0a 08-26-2004 03:12 PM

Thanks Hanna - currently old sensei is sharing his dojo space with karate guys. some of them opted to cross train in aikido, no problem with karate sensei. a jujitsu dojo operating beside old sensei's dojo is sharing their space with another aikido group. they seem to get along well (time mgmt), and does not seem to affect old sensei's dojo as they are on different schedules too.

But aikido and aikido, hmmmm let's see.... If I am the student and my schedule fits in dojo A, no matter how good the dojo B is, I still wont be able to attend sessions on B because time does not permit me. Anyways, point taken and noted. I'll keep you posted. I appreciate your thoughts. Thanks :)

gi_grrl 09-07-2004 03:20 AM

Quote:

mel wrote:
Thank you all for your inputs. Problem's solved the aikido way, everybody on win-win situation.

A. Old sensei did not allow sempai to leave, sempai will be graded and tested for BB -

I'm glad the problem worked out, but if I were the student, I would be asking myself and my Sensei exactly what it is he wants me to learn / master in order to pass the test. Grades are not awarded for time spent training, for help around the dojo or administrative tasks. Grades are awarded for ability. So find out what abilities are needed.

If I was awarded a grade for anything but ability, I would feel insulted. I trust my Sensei to judge my improvement because he is vastly more experiences than me.

On the other hand, if he makes requests of me for administrative assistance, then I choose to say 'yes' or 'no' and expect that either choice will have no effects on my training or grading.

:)