AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Discussions (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Respect (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2484)

akiy 08-29-2002 02:47 PM

Respect

Hi everyone,

Can I take a moment to remind people that, although this is the "Open Discussion" forum where any topic may be discussed, the same forum rules as in the other forums including "Treat your fellow AikiWeb Forums members with respect" still applies?

I know that there are some "controversial" subjects that are currently being discussed which I think is great! But, please do approach your discussions with a modicum of civility, tact, and diplomacy as well as a healthy dollop of respect.

Thank you.

-- Jun

Bruce Baker 08-30-2002 02:13 PM

Indeed, I know I have stepped over the line now and then, but it was in the spirit of open forum, a level playing field, and no intention of truly offending my fellow Aikido threadposters.

Although a slight annoyance now and then does shake up the general poplulation, doesn't it?

I would hope all jabs would be well intentioned, and my apologies for those not taken as such.

Sorry if I have offended any of you with my flat sense of humor and intentional/ unintentional jabs.

Neil Mick 09-03-2002 12:38 AM

Attack the opinion, not the person.

Everyone has a piece of the puzzle, and no one is completely wrong.

Just my 2cents.

akiy 09-06-2002 09:28 AM

Hi everyone,

I've been getting complaints from more than one person involved in a particularly controversial and "volatile" thread that's currently going on here in the Open Discussions forum. I don't want to get into the specifics of it (as I haven't been following the particular thread) nor am I going to serve as any kind of arbiter in this case, but I thought I'd bring up my thoughts here.

I think discussing controversial topics is great -- as long as people discuss such with the very first rule of the AikiWeb Forums in mind: "Treat your fellow AikiWeb Forums members with respect."

I believe, though in any case, that there's a danger, in discussing controversial topics, especially those involving personal belief systems such as politics, religion, and such. One thing these kinds of discussions tend to do, in my experience and observation, is create rifts rather than bridges. These Forums, even the Open Discussion forum, are meant to do the latter, not the former.

I don't want these Forums to be a means of harboring people's attacks on each other. It causes me pain to hear people calling each other names, pointing fingers across the table, and accusing each other of this and that. Really, it does. I did not spend hundreds of hours creating this website for such.

Personally, I don't think we need more of such in our lives. I feel like I get enough of that just driving to work, much less reading the newspapers!

So, please, folks. I'm trying to keep these Forums as open as they possibly can be as I very much believe that open discussion is a healthy addition in everyone's lives. But, please approach every discussion, even those that push your buttons, with respect, understanding, and a sense of sharing.

Or, as Mom used to say (albeit, to me, in Japanese) -- "I don't care who started it. Behave!"

Regards,

-- Jun

Lan Powers 10-24-2002 08:51 PM

doesn't Aikido =Harmony also equate with respect for each other as part of the aim of Aikido? Should go without saying, if truly

"harmonious". Peace Brothers

Kelly Allen 01-25-2003 02:50 AM

Well said Jun! Aikai to all.

akiy 02-28-2003 01:04 PM

Hi everyone,

Just a reminder to please keep what I wrote above in mind when posting to the Open Discussion forum (and all other forums) here on AikiWeb.

I really would rather not have to issue warnings and/or account deactivations to people unable to follow the first Forum Rule, "Treat your fellow AikiWeb Forums members with respect."

Thank you.

-- Jun

Les Kelso 03-02-2003 01:21 PM

personal attacks

Quote:

Jun Akiyama (akiy) wrote:
Hi everyone,

Just a reminder to please keep what I wrote above in mind when posting to the Open Discussion forum (and all other forums) here on AikiWeb.

I really would rather not have to issue warnings and/or account deactivations to people unable to follow the first Forum Rule, "Treat your fellow AikiWeb Forums members with respect."

Thank you.

-- Jun

Hi Jun,

Barbara and I enjoy the forums tremendously but wonder when your dictates kick in.?

One supposed "black belt" from Taiwan? has repeatedly maligned and threatened a well known and revered sensei from Midland and seems to continue to do so unabated. We also recently heard this "black belt" has been banned from a similar web site for similar activities..Do you issue a series of warnings to the individuals in question prior to taking action? How much damage has to be done to the credibility of the web site and innocent reputations before action is taken?

Les Kelso

JeffBayard 09-19-2003 03:49 PM

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn (again, perhaps?), since presently I'm only an Aikidoka wannabee of sorts who hasn't been able to start studies yet. I just wanted to suggest that maybe people who attack others in such ways as described above are actually doing more harm to themselves than anybody else. People with such aggression who just have to win and have everybody agree with them and see things their way seem to make themselves look small and insecure rather than big. Personally, when I find myself thinking along those lines, I try to stop myself and realize that my perspective has become myopic, I've lost sight of the bigger picture. When on the receiving end of such an attitude, while it certainly can be annoying, I try to look at such nuissances as opportunities to better myself in how I take it. Am I in control of myself, or will I get sucked into it?

I think this thread brings up an important issue, and the posts on it are well spoken. When it comes to respect, the first step is to respect yourself, thus facilitating the ability to respect those around you. If someone is intolerant enough not to be able to at least agree to disagree, unless in a dire situation (disagreeing with Taliban's hateful ethics, for example), maybe that person is disrespecting him/herself even more so than disrespecting others. Just a thought, for what it's worth.

Again, I look forward to reading people's posts on these forums, and hope that soon I can participate actively in studying Aikido myself which should also help me to make more valid contributions to this site. Take care, all!

Kensho Furuya 10-03-2003 10:26 AM

In the several years after O'Sensei's passing, one high ranking teacher was making plans to split away from Hombu Dojo and start his own group. During those years, he and his followers said many negative and demeaning things against 2nd Doshu, but Doshu never made any comment - to the point that even his supporters were becoming very frustrated and disappointed in him. One day, I couldn't stand it any longer and went to Doshu and said, "Why don't you say something back against this person or defend yourself against such remarks, it is so painful to all of us to hear such things."

Doshu became very stern and reprimanded me saying (literally), "We practice Aikido, we do not say bad things against others." And he turned and walked away.

I was so ashamed of myself (as frustrated as I still was) but I so admired Doshu that he truly was enlightened into Aikido and its teachings as no other person I have ever met. After all these years, I still have not mastered his valuable lesson to me. But I know that, as far as Doshu was concerned, people who practice Aikido do not speak ill of others whatever the circmstances and that is it.

indomaresa 12-13-2003 12:12 PM

Akiyama-san, If banning is necessary please do something now.

Some people have already verbally attacked Furuya Sensei, causing him to quit from aikiweb entirely. And they are attacking the person, not the opinion.

This is horrible, his writings are one of the reason I'm into aikiweb now.

hoi 12-13-2003 02:14 PM

Quote:

Maresa Sumardi (indomaresa) wrote:

Some people have already verbally attacked Furuya Sensei, causing him to quit from aikiweb entirely. And they are attacking the person, not the opinion.

For a while I stopped visiting AikiWeb because ... until one day I ventured into the "Voices Of Experience" forum and read Furuya Sensei's experiences. Like Sumardi-san, I visit Aikiweb often now to check on what Furuya Sensei has posted.

Furuya Sensei contribution on the thread "Bowing to the Kamiza" and the significance of clapping was quite informative. It wasn't a challenge to anyone beliefs, yet a few received that way.

I wish Furuya Sensei will continue to contribute in the "Voices Of Experience" forum and not worry about venturing out of that "dojo." I also wish that more of the "Voices Of Experience" members would bequeath their experiences and wisdom to us young'uns.

David Edwards 03-26-2004 02:52 PM

Quote:

"...Speak ill of others and it will surely come back to you. The mountain does not speak ill of the river because it is lowly, nor does the river laugh at the moutain because it cannot move around"
I read this in Tohei Sensei's "Aikido: Coordination of mind and body for self-defence", it's an unattributed quotation, so maybe it is a proverb, or maybe it was said by Tohei Sensei, or O Sensei, I don't know... but I like to apply it when I can. Of course, often I will have negative opinions of people or things, and sometimes I voice those opinions; I'm only human. I do try to voice them as respectfully as I can, however. Particularly valuable as I guide for dealing with conflicts I find "Aikido in Everyday Life" (Dobson/Miller), which talks about how to deal with arguments and other such things as if they were attacks in Aikido; be aware of them, avoid them before they happen if such is possible, if not harmonize with them, let them pass you by; not in the bury-your-head-in-the-sand way, but in a way that resolves the conflict without damage to either party. I don't explain it very well, and strongly recommend that people read the book if they have not already.

But hey, I'm no saint. But I do try.

Aikidoiain 09-20-2004 05:48 AM

Re: Respect

Hi Jun,

I sincerely hope I am not the person you are referring to as having received complaints about. I have never intentionally or otherwise tried to offend or attack anyone. It is simply because I am mentally ill that I am very defensive due to years of prejudice from others.

If it is myself who is creating rifts and causing complaint, I shall leave immediately. Please let me know. I really am not that kind of person.

If you've read my recent post on the "Just curious..." thread, I try my best to offer some insight into what it's like to suffer 20 years of prejudice. It does destroy you emotionally.

Please let me know.

Iain :ki: :)

Chuck.Gordon 09-20-2004 07:15 AM

Iain,

Please check the dates on the posts you're referring to. They're from a couple years back and couldn't be about you.

I know you've got some probs (don't we all?), and they're very important to you ...

However, before you go on the defensive, make sure the attack is truly directed at you.

Chuck

JAHsattva 10-08-2004 09:07 AM

respect to all :D
i just wanted to add that , just as in the dojo, everyone trains in aikido for different reasons. in the dojo we must respect that. on this site we must as well.

one could be training aikido for spiritual reasons ,and the next person could be a cop and training for technical reasons.
on the mat we shouldnt let these reasons cause us to stray from training.

:ai:
:ki:
:do:

Bill Danosky 12-04-2004 05:13 PM

Quote:

Maresa Sumardi wrote:

DITTO, Sumardi-san! Dig my thread about this: http://aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6944

sutemaker17 07-02-2005 10:14 AM

Jun is right guys and gals. We can pull this together. After all we are "only human". So, lets allow everyone to be. I promise all of you I will do my part and treat everyone with respect.
Jason

Edwin Neal 02-03-2006 08:52 PM

hmmm wonder what this was all about... no one of any rank, age, ethnicity, etc, should take offense at any thing written on a public forum... why would you, what's the point... typing insults back and forth ho hum... turn off your computer and practice...

rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength...

Neil Mick 02-05-2006 03:22 PM

Quote:

Jun Akiyama wrote:
Hi everyone,

Or, as Mom used to say (albeit, to me, in Japanese) -- "I don't care who started it. Behave!"

Regards,

-- Jun

I've always wondered...how DO you say "I don't care who started it. Behave!" in Japanese (as a mother, speaking to her kids)? :D

merlynn 03-19-2006 08:21 AM

ok i know I'm guilty of the offense you speak of jun and i apologize to you and the others now. i have there fore asked if the other person i was arguing with to come off aikiweb and speak to me on my private messenger if we are to attack each other verbally. once again i would like to apologize and thoroughly hang my head in shame

Mauricio Camargo 09-20-2006 03:17 PM

"In the several years after O'Sensei's passing, one high ranking teacher was making plans to split away from Hombu Dojo and start his own group. During those years, he and his followers said many negative and demeaning things against 2nd Doshu, but Doshu never made any comment - to the point that even his supporters were becoming very frustrated and disappointed in him. One day, I couldn't stand it any longer and went to Doshu and said, "Why don't you say something back against this person or defend yourself against such remarks, it is so painful to all of us to hear such things."

Doshu became very stern and reprimanded me saying (literally), "We practice Aikido, we do not say bad things against others." And he turned and walked away."

Here one of the reasons why I practice aikido

akiy 01-10-2007 11:10 AM

Hi folks,

With the start of the new year, I just wanted to take a moment and request that people please read the posts that I made above. Although I wrote them years ago, I still stand by my feelings and thoughts and hope that posters here will take them to heart as well.

Thank you,

-- Jun

Neil Mick 01-10-2007 11:26 AM

Hello Jun,

Since I often write about controversial topics, I have followed your request and re-read the posts about etiquette, above. In re-reading them, I can sense your mounting frustration, and if I am in any way responsible ("letting the genie out of the bottle"), apologies.

I cannot speak for others, but I certainly do not come online to "cause trouble," and it is my wish that ppl would do the same, and abide by the very reeasonable guidelines for etiquette, that you ask.

In debating politics, it's simple: "Attack the idea, not the person." It's one thing to say that "that's the nuttiest idea I have ever heard;" quite another to say that "you're a nutcase (as was recently posted)," for thinking that idea. It is often easy to forget that there is a live person reading these posts on the other end of the monitor: but they are and it reflects poorly on the whole discussion, when even one person uses personal attacks.

I ask the ppl who use this technique: please, if you do not like what I say, PM me and cuss me out to your heart's content (you wouldn't be the first...I've gotten everything from physical threats to threats of legal action). I will respond, with etiquette.

Mark Freeman 01-11-2007 10:19 AM

Quote:

Neil Mick wrote:
In debating politics, it's simple: "Attack the idea, not the person." It's one thing to say that "that's the nuttiest idea I have ever heard;" quite another to say that "you're a nutcase (as was recently posted)," for thinking that idea. It is often easy to forget that there is a live person reading these posts on the other end of the monitor: but they are and it reflects poorly on the whole discussion, when even one person uses personal attacks.

That's the nuttiest idea I have ever heard! :crazy:

Sorry Neil, couldn't resist it ;)

respect

Mark

Neil Mick 01-15-2007 02:55 PM

Quote:

Mark Freeman wrote:
That's the nuttiest idea I have ever heard! :crazy:

Sorry Neil, couldn't resist it ;)

respect

Mark

Arrg. I knew it was only a question of time, for that other shoe to drop. :uch: ;)

jennifer paige smith 05-03-2007 08:56 AM

In reading and posting on this web I have come to the solid realization that 'tone', what my mother and my friends mother's used to ask us to watch in our voices, is difficult to grasp on the web. Most especially if you haven't met the person in person, as it were.
A pithy theologian once offered a couple of words that I reflect upon and I would like to repeat here for mine and Your benefit:

"Love makes all the difference between what was said and what was heard."

I take this this way; I have to take the responsibility, as the reader, to invest love into the moment whether I Know if it was placed there by the author or not. Love is my tool of deeper understanding and Hearing is my responsibility; no matter what is or was said.

For those who have trouble with the words Love or God, they can be easily replaced with the words Innocence and Truest Nature (or try out your own).

Just a few more for fun::)

"Be keenly aware of the world's call to judge, and love more the call of God to come home."

"If there's something in the eye, the whole body feels it."

"It should be obvious that the evidence of love, unity, and wholeness in our lives will begin to disappear whenever we choose to be special and seperate."

These words were written by Hugh Prather, a United Methodist Minister. The meaning is written in your heart.

In love,
jen smith

akiy 09-23-2007 11:44 PM

Quote:

Jun Akiyama wrote: (Post 27652)
Can I take a moment to remind people that, although this is the "Open Discussion" forum where any topic may be discussed, the same forum rules as in the other forums including "Treat your fellow AikiWeb Forums members with respect" still applies?

I know that there are some "controversial" subjects that are currently being discussed which I think is great! But, please do approach your discussions with a modicum of civility, tact, and diplomacy as well as a healthy dollop of respect.

I wrote the above over five years ago and I want to remind everyone here in the Open Discussions forum to read it again.

I'll be honest and say that the manner in which people are posting here in the Open Discussions forum, especially in the political threads, has been very disappointing. The conduct I see repeated day after day, post after post, really makes me shake my head. Where is your respect? Where is your dignity?

Stop stooping to baiting each other with snide little personal comments. Discuss the issues, not the persons and personalities involved in the discussions. If you can't conduct respectful, mature discussions here on AikiWeb, please do me a favor and take your discussions elsewhere.

I'm really getting tired of it all, folks.

-- Jun

Jose Dundee Santos 09-14-2009 09:16 PM

Fellow aikidokas,

If we are really aikidokas, we should follow the
teachings of O'Sensei. Sometimes we do bad
things but we still have time to correct them.

We dont need specific rules, the meaning of
Ai-Ki-Do speaks for it self, if we really are
aikidokas.

Sensei Dundee

Don_Modesto 09-15-2009 04:14 PM

Quote:

Jose Dundee Santos wrote: (Post 240639)
Fellow aikidokas,

If we are really aikidokas, we should follow the
teachings of O'Sensei. Sometimes we do bad
things but we still have time to correct them.

We dont need specific rules, the meaning of
Ai-Ki-Do speaks for it self, if we really are
aikidokas.

Sensei Dundee

Geez, that simple?

"we should follow the teachings of O'Sensei"

His own UCHIDESHI couldn't decipher what he was saying. You know so pat what Osensei's teachings were? As Peter Goldsbury demonstrates, we can't even figure out his words sometimes. Just what were his teachings? And all those UCHIDESHI who don't talk to each other, are they not really aikidoka? If not, who is?

"the meaning of Ai-Ki-Do speaks for it self, if we really are
aikidokas."

Sorry, but no. It hardly does, and tomes' worth of discussion just here demonstrate. And whether we're "true" Ai-Ki-Dokas is tautologous and argumentative. What that means is we're doing what YOU approve of. Why do you deserve this authority? Sorry, don't know that you do.

Neither Aikido nor Osensei end arguments and I'm really weary and irritated that folks still wave them as talismans to win arguments without dissent. My regard for aikido derives as much from the values I came to aikido with as those it purportedly offers. And frankly, where they may differ, I'm often as inclined to adhere to the former as than the latter, no apologies offered.

And as to Osensei as avatar of all good and sound; would you so quickly forget Osensei's abandonment, as Omoto folk felt it? It caused a lifelong rift between him and his cousin, theretofore his closest associate. What happened to harmony there?

How about the way he avoided contact with Takeda? What happened to harmony there?

What about the way he agreed with the verbal savaging given to Saito without demur, protest, or defense? Saito who'd devoted his life, and plaintively from her quarter, his wife's to Osensei's service?

Osensei deified? No thanks. He was a man, not a trump card.

Dan O'Day 11-08-2009 09:12 PM

Respect is a tough issue since, like everything else, it's defined subjectively.

So I guess it comes back, as always, to what intent is. If I can post a thought or reply to one and know that my intent is to simply share a viewpoint, then it's a non-issue. If my intent is to share a viewpoint but to also point out the "error" of the respondant's ways...then I need to stop, back up and consider what is driving me to do that.

But it's a tough cookie to be consistent with that. At least for me. You know...what about the situation where it seems so incredibly obvious that a posted viewpoint is just flat out wrong?

Well in that situation I can always remember the words of Quiet Hank..."Let other people be right", he would say as well as "All belief is valid".

So unless someone specifically asks for my opinion on whether I believe their thoughts to be screwy or not, then I will pretty much always be in the wrong when specifically addressing another person's beliefs.

Then there is the "it's all in the delivery" factor. To put forth a position that is at great odds with another's but to do it with absolute respect. That can be a good deal. But even that is not always received well.

And that's ok because it comes right back to intent. If I'm ok with my intent, I know it is pure and without the tarnishings of ego, then it matters not a whit what another's reaction to it is.

Yep. It happened right on this board awhile back. I went out of my way to be respectful in presenting a view which ran counter to that presented by a long time well known aikido person and he responded in a manner not reciprocal at all in the respect department.

So it's cool. I just don't need to engage that person in online conversation. If I do, then I need to seriously check on my intent because more than likely my only reason for further communication would be to satisfy some ego drive of "Ha, gotcha" type of thing.

I think where respect issues are the toughest to maintain is when posting in the political arena. Politics are seriously heavy stuff. And I do not support ignoring it just because it gets ugly occasionally. No...I think it presents a great opportunity for all people to overcome the challenges presented by conflicting viewpoints on serious matters.

So keep on posting. Even when it's tough!

thisisnotreal 11-09-2009 09:39 AM

Hi Dan,
Hope it's okay if I comment on this.
I appreciate and share the spirit in which you offer your post...but I have a problem with this
Quote:

Well in that situation I can always remember the words of Quiet Hank..."Let other people be right", he would say as well as "All belief is valid".
Here's the thing.. I cannot with a clear conscience believe in this type of complete relativism. And especially when this bleeds into other areas.
My experience in this life so far shows me that there are right things and there are wrong things. When the right things are *provable* then they are facts. Some things are taken on faith; as the trail of established facts cannot yet touch everything that we can see, witness or consider.
I want to be right. If I am not right; and have made a mistake; then I hope I have the good sense to correct myself. IOW; I will change my mind. If everything is as equally valid as everything else...then where on earth does this lead? Maybe I misread this and am arguing the wrong thing here. That's not what you meant, is it?

And regarding the other part "All belief is valid".
Well, I appreciate that the spirit of this is in respecting everyone. Is it not? But how can all belief be valid? It seems clear to me that some people can believe some pretty absurd things....in what way exactly is that to be considered valid? And the limiting case of this argument is when something is against repeatedly proven and established fact. There is a flatearth society...surely they are having fun...but it is quite simply a *wrong* or mistaken belief, if earnestly held. Can you disagree with this? Following this train of thought; Is it rude to offer correction to someone? And on and on..

Maybe you don't mean it literally ("All belief is valid"), but maybe you do. I think, again, that this is offered in a spirit of loving respect. That is good! But is all belief valid? All true? Is this the best way to represent that idea (respect of others)? What does 'valid' even mean? Wouldn't something have to have been invalid in order to ontologically define it this way.

Anyway; you made me think...so this is what you get. :freaky:
Cheers Dan.
Josh

MM 11-09-2009 10:19 AM

I always think of this short animation when "respect" comes up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO3tscCAVJ8

Especially the part at 5:07-5:12. Respect came from ... ? :)

Dan O'Day 11-09-2009 08:01 PM

Jose, thank you for replying.

On the "let others be right". let me give you an example.

I'm a carpenter and I work with another carpenter. We're cutting some 2 x 4's. I yell out. Cut 'em at 27 3/4". A few minutes later he gives me ten sticks at 28 3/4". I say, No man, I said 27 3/4" not 28 3/4".

Then he says, Nope, you said 28 3/4".

This could go on and on or I can "let others be right" and say, You're right and I was wrong.

One can do this even when they are absolutely 100% positive that they are correct. The lesson is in the experience of actually doing it.

Something happens. There's a realization of what the need to be right is often all about and a realization of how much pressure is released when one lets go of that need.

I mean, why do I need to be right? Isn't it primarily an act of defending myself from some perceieved threat or stigma of "wrongism"? Why do I feel this need to defend myself? Is it about a seawrch for approval? Whose approval am I really after? If I have my own, is that not enough? And if it is enough, then why not simply let others be right?

The "all belief is valid" thing took me awhile to get. What Quiet Hank was telling is that belief - when sincere - is exactly that...belief. It simply is and as such is completely valid for the holder of a given belief.

I may not like it but I can't very well argue with it. This doesn't mean I can't present facts which might cause one to change their belief and it doesn't mean that I should be absolute in my own beliefs to the point of not listening to points potentially counter to my belief(s).

I tell you what, it significantly changed my way of seeing other people once I accepted it.

Quiet Hank, by the way, has been kind of a mentor to me for many years. Incidentally, he's an old judo guy from way back in LA. Santa Monica and other places. He doesn't train anymore but in his day, he was the man.

Today, he doesn't do competition and that's what got me to take a look at aikido years 6 back when I first started. I liked the no competition thing and still do, of course, since competition is all about being "right". A belif of mine, by the way. Perfectly valid but maybe worng? I don't know. All I know is that I may change my mind on it tomorrow. And if I do it in no way minimizes the belief held prior.

On the use of the term "valid"...hmmmm...I'm not much for the "dualism" deal. Can't have valid if there is no invalid, or can't have joy without knowing pain, etc. Nope. Yin Yang. Big, small, fast, slow, tall, short, right and wrong. Nope. Our universe has far more dimensions than just the two. This or that? I'll take the other thing anyday.

michael tan 11-09-2009 11:27 PM

Hai, it seems as though respect is slowly leaving us like a memory fades with time. It is important for us all to remember respect is and always has been an intricate part of martial training and more importantly in Aiki training. And thank you for the welcome Jun.

Melchizedek 12-07-2009 12:47 AM

Ai goes 1st, to study and the rest will fall naturally in its places, we all have same color of blood & same sky but different kinds horizon.

mathewjgano 12-07-2009 12:55 PM

Quote:

Dan O'Day wrote: (Post 245166)
One can do this even when they are absolutely 100% positive that they are correct. The lesson is in the experience of actually doing it.
I'm not much for the "dualism" deal. Can't have valid if there is no invalid, or can't have joy without knowing pain, etc. Nope. Yin Yang. Big, small, fast, slow, tall, short, right and wrong. Nope. Our universe has far more dimensions than just the two. This or that? I'll take the other thing anyday.

Nicely said, Dan. Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I enjoyed reading them greatly.
Take care,
Matt

Eugene Leslie 06-10-2010 02:36 PM

I won't tolerate your intolerance!!!!

;)

PaulF 06-20-2013 09:54 AM

I stopped reading here for a bit because I found it was getting me down.

Anyway...

Quote:

Mauricio Camargo wrote: (Post 153991)
"In the several years after O'Sensei's passing, one high ranking teacher was making plans to split away from Hombu Dojo and start his own group. During those years, he and his followers said many negative and demeaning things against 2nd Doshu, but Doshu never made any comment - to the point that even his supporters were becoming very frustrated and disappointed in him. One day, I couldn't stand it any longer and went to Doshu and said, "Why don't you say something back against this person or defend yourself against such remarks, it is so painful to all of us to hear such things."

Doshu became very stern and reprimanded me saying (literally), "We practice Aikido, we do not say bad things against others." And he turned and walked away."

Here one of the reasons why I practice aikido

When I grow down-heartened by those disparaging aikido as fake, or exhorting us to be more realistic, or aggressive, such as can be seen all over youtube and sometimes on here, I pick up Kisshomaru Ueshiba's Spirit of Aikido and re-read

"These criticisms are understandable and come especially from those who seek thrills in victory and conquest or from those who have stereotypes of martial arts as consisting of shouting, hissing, kicking, hitting and destroying people." p.17

"Aikido rejects all forms of violence, justified or unjustified. Otherwise we would be no different from the forms of martial arts in which fighting and winning are selling points.
At the risk of seeming repetitious, I want to say again that aikido is a spiritual path and its ideal is the realisation of harmony and love. By disciplining mind and body, especially mind, it leads to the perfection of personality and humanity.
"p 54

Don't get me wrong, we train hard with ukes showing intent and nages showing atemi but nevertheless the above quotes are at the heart of the matter for me and I refuse to surrender my idealism.

:)

:circle:

Just realised I've necroed this thread (and not for the first time), was sure it was showing in "new posts", ah well :)

john2054 05-30-2015 01:34 PM

Hi everyone i'm back. I don't know how much of Jun's earlier critique was of me, but as a self awarded grade and someone who has been acrimoniously kicked from many clubs and forums, in aikido, it might of as well as. Well i have completed four years of university, and two years of living in the same house as my wife and child. I am also dealing with a mental illness, which another ranked player said was better than all of the black belts in the world, by itself. I have never been kicked from this site, so i think it is okay for me to return to it. I am a father and a husband, both of which makes me a man. I am a friend to my friends, and a martial artist to those with no ego. Which sadly seems to be few in this day and age. What do you think?