AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   AikiWeb System (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   General News: Fumio Toyoda Sensei Passes Away (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=984)

AikiWeb System 07-04-2001 09:06 PM

7/04/2001 9:06pm [from Jun Akiyama]

I just got word that Fumio Toyoda sensei of Aikido Association of America passed away early this morning, July 4th, 2001. The announcement I received from AAA says, in part, "As you know, our teacher Toyoda Shihan, took ill in Greece and upon his return was hospitalized here in Chicago. Sensei's health had been improving, but on the evening of July 2nd he experienced a setback from the bacterial infection he was fighting. Despite every effort by the doctors, Sensei grew weaker. Early this morning, July 4th, he was taken off life support and made comfortable, per the Toyoda family's wishes. Sensei left us at 2:30am." I had the opportunity to train with Toyoda sensei back in 1998 and had a good time at his seminar. My condolences go out to his family, friends, and loved ones.

akiy 07-04-2001 09:10 PM

The funeral will take place on Saturday, July 7th at Lakeview Chapel Funeral Home at 1458 W Belmont Avenue in Chicago. Phone number is (773) 472-6300. Visitation is from 3-6pm and service is from 6-7pm. In lieu of flowers, the family requests "Koden", the Buddhist tradition of bringing a monetary gift to help offset funeral costs or in memory of Toyoda Sensei. These donations may be made to either the Toyoda Family or to AIF.

-- Jun

lt-rentaroo 07-05-2001 08:33 AM

I am deeply saddened by this news. I have had the great pleasure of attending many of Shihan Toyoda's seminars. Shihan Toyoda's seminars always centered upon a joyous training environment, an environment that provided wonderful instruction and memories. Shihan Toyoda was not the type of instructor who would stand at the front of the dojo and only demonstrate a technique every now and then. Shihan Toyoda always walked around the dojo, ensuring that each and every student attending received some instruction from him personally. He always had a funny story to tell and would often often say "Oh what a feeling, Toyoda" after tossing an uke with a kokyunage (his favorite type of technique).

My sincere condolences go out to his family, friends, loved ones and all those who have ever had the great pleasure of training with Shihan Fumio Toyoda.

Chip Sudderth 07-05-2001 09:00 AM

I attended my first National Instructors' Seminar in Chicago this April. Shihan Toyoda and his students were celebrating the grand opening of the AAI headquarters dojo. The spirit was exuberant, the mats incredibly crowded. During the seminar, and at the fundraising dinner that Saturday night, he seemed extremely content. He recognized me at the seminar as one of Ned Danieley's students and complimented me on finally wearing a brown belt (I'd been at sankyu for quite a long time).

I didn't know him personally, but I felt the personal instruction that Mr. Sharpe refers to -- corrections that came with either a laugh or a "Who's your teacher?" (at which point you'd gulp and wonder which of the other senseis attending the seminar you might attribute your error to). I had hoped that one day he would be complimenting me on finally wearing the hakama (before correcting my technique). I'm saddened that this is no longer possible, and I'll miss his expansive spirit.

My sympathies to his family and his students, and my prayers for the leaders of the AAA/AAI as we move forward.

Dan Hover 07-05-2001 02:56 PM

What can you really say?

to be taken at such a young age, when you still have plenty left to give...
Under Toyoda Shihan, he took my small enrollment Aikido dojo under his organization we had maybe ten students, but by his interaction with me, I was treated no differently than a dojo-cho who has 100 students or even 1000. That speaks volumes on his character and on his emphasis on building and maintaining relationships in his organization and in Aikido throughout. Of all the Shihan I have trained with (10+) he was always the most grounded, approachable and always seemed to be having the most fun. I joined his organization late, but was treated like an old friend from day one. This speaks tremendously about himself and that quality that he imparted upon the rest of the members of his organization, in regards to openess and acceptance. I am truly thankful for the times I did have with him, sadly there were not enough...

jreach72 07-05-2001 03:43 PM

I was just made aware of Toyoda Sensei passing, by my instructor. I am deeply saddened by this loss both from a personal standpoint and for the Aikido community as a whole. I had the distinct pleasure of not only training with Toyoda Sensei on numerous occasions but I was also afforded the privilege of receiving my shodan from him directly.

He was a man full of honor and integrity spiced up with tons of humor! Their is no doubt that his passing will effect the Aikido community as we all mourn his passing. Fortunately Toyoda Sensei had a deeply positive impact on the Aikido community which will continue to be felt for years to come.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and closest friends.

OSU!

Jeff Reach
Meishinkan Dojo