AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   White belt to 6th kyu (yellow belt) (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22263)

SparkErosion 02-01-2013 05:52 AM

White belt to 6th kyu (yellow belt)

After 9 months of intense training in seidokan Aikido, im ready to test for my first rank 6th kyu. What does this belt mran? Understanding some basic techhniques of Aikido.? thank you!

Mary Eastland 02-01-2013 06:11 AM

Re: White belt to 6th kyu (yellow belt)

I think that is a great question for yourself...what does that belt mean to you?

lbb 02-01-2013 06:36 AM

A first step. Hopefully some degree of understanding of things that you'll later realize you don't understand at all, and then you'll understand them again, and then you won't understand them, and...

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Walter Martindale 02-01-2013 08:57 AM

It means you've probably learned enough to participate in a class and come out of getting thrown without getting hurt, and that maybe you've learned the basics of a few techniques. "They" (whoever "they" are) say that you've only really started to understand anything after you get to "shodan" or "first degree black belt." Having passed that milestone, I still wonder if I understand anything.

Krystal Locke 02-01-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Kevin Tejan wrote: (Post 323000)
After 9 months of intense training in seidokan Aikido, im ready to test for my first rank 6th kyu. What does this belt mran? Understanding some basic techhniques of Aikido.? thank you!

Rank requirements are different in every school. In my dojo, your first rank means that you can function on the mat well enough to survive a class without killing yourself or someone else, and that you will have a tiny idea of what to do after sensei demonstrates a technique. Pretty much means you got your foot in the door.

Here is a tip that I really wish I had taken. Keep a training journal. Write down stuff after every class, and dont just record the technical information. Record your emotions about classes, your interpersonal interactions, other thoughts.... You will find that reading it as you progress through aikido to be really amusing and informative. I can almost guarantee you that, as you are training for your shodan exam, reading your first entries about the intensity of the training for your 6th kyu will make you smile.

soupdragon1973 02-01-2013 09:42 AM

Just wanted to say well done and that it means something internal I guess.

ramenboy 02-01-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

when you reach your dan ranks, you'll be asking the same question :)

lbb 02-01-2013 12:57 PM

I second what Krystal said about the training journal. It's useful to review, but more useful, I think, for internal processing and development in things that are not that obvious. Journaling has benefits beyond the obvious that are hard to understand until you do it for a bit. One suggestion: if you do this, try not to write for an audience -- it will be hard at first, particularly if you do a lot of that kind of writing, but a journal is the best opportunity to find your authentic voice.

Hellis 02-01-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Hi Kevin

Your 6th Kyu will probably mean more to you than to anyone else in its achievment.
We at the ESTA still use the coloured belt system that originated from Judo in the 1950s. The white belt informs anyone training with you what standard you are. We the Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido still use the coloured belt system. I alway tell my students that green belt ( 3rd Kyu ) is the most important belt of all before black - In 1957 I was graded green belt and became dojo assistant to Sensei Williams and Kenshiro Abbe, I seem to value the memories of that more than my Shihan promotion. Every teacher was once a 6th Kyu - not many remember that.
Enjoy your grades

Regards
Henry Ellis
Co-author of ` Positive Aikido`
http://is-aikido-martialart.blogspot.com/