AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Ultimate 10 martial arts on TLC Sunday (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7160)

dan guthrie 12-17-2004 07:00 PM

Ultimate 10 martial arts on TLC Sunday

http://tlc.discovery.com/schedule/ep...=0&channel=TLC

TLC has a lot of repeats so this may be on for all of next week. From the website. Smiliefaces mine.

"Learn the ancient techniques that allow a martial artist to create a virtual force field of protection around the body. Explore the precision and power of Shaolin Kung Fu, :) Aikido :) , Ninjitsu, Muai Thai, Filipino Stick Fighting, Karate and more."

Keith_k 12-18-2004 04:04 AM

Re: Ultimate 10 martial arts on TLC Sunday

Hapkido didn't make their list. I have to shake my fist and jump up and down in frustration.

John Boswell 12-18-2004 09:13 AM

This may be a repeat of a show they had run once before. If it is, there will be an interview with Sensei Furuya, 6th Dan from Los Angeles.

There have been many mixed feelings with regard to that interview and over Sensei himself. However, I am of the opinion that he deserves nothing but respect for the time and effort that he has given to the world of aikido and making sure that the art is presented to the world as widely as possible and with a great deal of respect.

I plan on watching it, even if it is the one I had seen before. HOPEFULLY, it won't be a cheesy show that was also shown on t.v. featuring a "martial artist" who is all presentation and does a lot of competition work. He's okay, but he's all show. Sensei Furuya is respectful and is a much better representation of martial arts than these Bruce Lee wanna-be's out there. A loud "kiai!" is not substitution for good technique. ;)

p00kiethebear 12-18-2004 09:46 AM

Quote:

This may be a repeat of a show they had run once before. If it is, there will be an interview with Sensei Furuya, 6th Dan from Los Angeles
As I recall this show was played on the discovery chanel. Not The Learning Chanel. Or does discovery own TLC now?

If it's really going to be on TLC I'm a little surprised. Everytime I pass that chanel, the only thing on are shows like "While you were out" or "Design on a dime" or "Trading spaces"

I've lost all respect for the Learning chanel as they've completely done away with all the "Learning" and now just play shows to please middleaged women.

But back to the topic at hand. If it is the show you're talking about Josh then I would have to recomend it. I felt that the ninja's got a particularly unfair portion of time in it, but the aikido section I thought was decent even if a little small. Furuya sensei definitely knows what he's doing.

John Boswell 12-18-2004 09:59 AM

Quote:

"I've lost all respect for the Learning chanel as they've completely done away with all the "Learning" and now just play shows to please middleaged women."
HEY! I'm not middle-aged (yet) NOR am I a woman (regreatably) and I happen to LOVE a couple of those shows! :D

...okay, you're right. TLC isn't what it used to be. But it's not all that bad! ;)

(* PS: the "regreatably" comment is a joke... laugh! :D *)

dan guthrie 12-18-2004 07:52 PM

I don't think this is the show with Furuya sensei. I taped that show and it had four, not ten, martial arts. I also remember the two hour (?) ultimate martial arts show that highlighted one man's goal of doing the prettiest kata ( oh, please no, not again). This show has a 2002 date on it so it might be old.
Hapkido may be "and the rest." Don't despair.

Thomas Ambrose 12-19-2004 01:17 PM

Just watched the show. About an hour long, with 10 martial arts in it. Included Furuya Sensei. It was interesting that much of their footage for aikido seemed to be iaido and kenjitsu, which if I understand correctly, are complimentary but seperate martial arts from aikido.

I liked that it included Krav magna, which is fascinating, but seemed to leave out Tai Chi, Hapkido, Kendo, and some other common martial arts which I thought would have been more prominent than some of the ones they showed. Makes me wonder how which ten are selected for the "top ten." At any rate, it was interesting to watch. :)

dan guthrie 12-19-2004 03:00 PM

I saw it and I think the selection of the top 10 may have as much to do with "a dojo in Los Angeles - freeway close to the studio" or "a dojo in Okinawa - where the producer has a condo".
It seemed harmless enough. Aikido came in 6th which means we have to redouble our efforts to defeat our cross-town rivals at the next all-martial arts cage match. ;)
We really need some scantily clad cheerleaders or a malt liquor tie-in.

CNYMike 12-20-2004 10:08 AM

Quote:

Dan Guthrie wrote:
I saw it and I think the selection of the top 10 may have as much to do with "a dojo in Los Angeles - freeway close to the studio" or "a dojo in Okinawa - where the producer has a condo".
It seemed harmless enough. Aikido came in 6th which means we have to redouble our efforts to defeat our cross-town rivals at the next all-martial arts cage match. ;)
We really need some scantily clad cheerleaders or a malt liquor tie-in.

Hmmmm ..... maybe the reason Kali came in lower than Aikido was because although the Dog Brothers are based in LA, Guro Tucci is in New Jersey. But then again, IIRC, the Shaolin Kung Fu class they profiled was in New York City. So much for that theory. ;) :)

In the small world department, one of my Kali instructors, Guro Kevin Seaman, makes the sticks the Dog Brothers use. His sticks take a pounding. And like Guro Tucci, he's a Kali instructor under Guro Dan Inosanto, so although I never met them personally, I saw the Tuccis up here in The Other Cortland when Guro Dan came here for a seminar.

Yep, it really is a small world.

As to the cage match, the cheerleaders were tried and they didn't work! HINT: "Scantily clad" means "more revealing than gi pants and a sweat shirt." Think you can get that next time, guys!? (nudge, nudge) ;) :)

bkedelen 12-20-2004 12:35 PM

Although I guess the show is fun, beware that it contains typical Discovery Channel/Learning Channel pseudojournalism (as opposed to the quality of learning material provided by the BBC). The martial arts chosen were seemingly at random (including martial arts whose very existence is highly dubious, and martial arts created by the villainously illegitimate "soke council"), and the information provided about them is often useless, misunderstood, false, or under-researched. The segment on Furuya sensei is acceptable, and the rest of the segments do provide some comedic value.

bkedelen 12-20-2004 12:40 PM

Note that TDC/TLC used the footage gathered during the making of "Ultimate 10" to create a separate show just featuring Furuya sensei. It seemed to me to be nearly identical to his ten minutes on the "Ultimate 10" show, only stretched out into a full length feature. Considering how interesting Furuya sensei is, I think TDC/TLC continues to drop the ball despite having access to fascinating subject matter.

CNYMike 12-20-2004 07:22 PM

Quote:

Benjamin Edelen wrote:
..... the rest of the segments do provide some comedic value.

Oh, really?

Which ones in particular?

Keith_k 12-20-2004 10:15 PM

Quote:

Michael Gallagher wrote:
Oh, really?

Which ones in particular?

I always enjoy watching the Juko Kai (spelling?) people beat the crap out of each other. I wonder if there actually is an effective aspact to the art that gets overshadowed by feats of enduring punishment. Does anyone know?

dan guthrie 12-20-2004 10:23 PM

Quote:

Michael Gallagher wrote:

As to the cage match, the cheerleaders were tried and they didn't work! HINT: "Scantily clad" means "more revealing than gi pants and a sweat shirt." Think you can get that next time, guys!? (nudge, nudge) ;) :)

If we're going to market this idea, why not NASCAR sponsorship?
Skywriting over the Super Bowl?
Or "no touch throw" tooth extraction?
"Iriminage that stain out, Marge, use Aikidoesit brand detergent."
"I just lost another loan to Aitech!!"
The world is our oyster, people. The question isn't "what is the meaning of life?" It's "how can we make money out of this?" :D
What was I talking about?

bryce_montgomery 12-20-2004 11:07 PM

You know I believe I saw that show a few years ago and that is actually what got me interested in aikido.

Bryce