AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Events Listings: Non-Aikido Martial Traditions (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Ushiro Kenji in Seattle October 29th & 30th 2011 (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19752)

George S. Ledyard 04-22-2011 05:06 PM

Ushiro Kenji in Seattle October 29th & 30th 2011

Seminar with Kenji Ushiro, 8th Dan, Kyoshi of Ushiro Karetedo

Kenji Ushiro Sensei teaches a style of Okinawan Karate called Ushiro Karatedo. Ushiro Sensei is an 8th dan Kyoshi of Ushiro Karetedo and 7th dan Kyoshi of Iaido, All-Japan Kendo Federation. His teacher, Nikichi Zaha, learned Okinawan karate from his own father, who was the direct student of Sokon Matsumura, as well as from his elder brother, Jiro Zaha, one of the top students of Chosin Chibana. Matsumura and Chibana were pivotal figures in the development of modern Okinawan karate. Zaha Sensei learned from many famous kareteka such as Shinpei Tawada.

Ushiro Sensei's mastery of ki, as expressed through his karate, is at a level rarely seen in the world of martial arts. He is a highly sought-after instructor in Japan and author of several books on martial arts. His second book, Karate and Ki, has recently been released in an English version (reading this book before the seminar is strongly recommended).

This will be a great opportunity to train with Ushiro Sensei in the United States this year! This seminar is a rare opportunity for any style of martial artist to work on increasing their ability to generate and use internal power in the execution of an art. Registration for this event is mandatory and training spaces for this event are expected to fill-up quickly.

Where:
Aikido Eastside
13410 SE 32nd Street
Bellevue, WA 98005
www.aikieast.com

Schedule:
Saturday, October 29, 2011
9:00 am. - Noon
2:30 pm. - 4:30 pm.

Sunday, October 30, 2011
9:00 am. - Noon
2:30 pm. - 4:30 pm.

Due to space limitations, the seminar will be limited to 35 participants.

To Register:
Send checks payable to Josh Drachman to 3440 72nd Avenue SE, Mercer Island, WA 98040.

Costs:
Full Seminar: $250
($225 if registration and payment received before 9/15/11).

One day: $150
($135 if registration and payment received before 9/15/11).

Please note that preference will be given to both day participants to allow for continuity in the training experience.

For further information:
Contact Josh Drachman at jdrachman1@juno.com or 561-212-6809.

Russ Q 04-22-2011 09:15 PM

Re: Ushiro Kenji in Seattle October 29th & 30th 2011

Will be there!

George S. Ledyard 04-23-2011 12:18 PM

Ushiro Kenji Sensei at Aikido Eastside PDF Flyer

Thomas Campbell 09-28-2011 02:00 PM

ttt

Marc Abrams 09-28-2011 02:14 PM

Ushiro Sensei has always said that Aikidoka say that they are soft but are way too stiff and tense. Dan Harden has said similar things about Aikidoka.

If you have ever wondered what truly soft movement looks like in an explosive, bujutsu form, then this seminar should be on your "must attend" list. His explanation and use of "Ki" has to be experienced first-hand.

I look forward to meeting some of you from the west coast at this seminar.

Cordially,

Marc Abrams

kewms 09-29-2011 12:41 AM

The original post says that space for this seminar is limited.

However, Josh has now arranged an outside space and removed the attendance cap.

Y'all come!

Katherine

Marc Abrams 10-18-2011 01:54 PM

Seminar is fast approaching! Albeit I have a "biased" perspective, I would STRONGLY recommend that people make the effort to attend this seminar. This training experience will offer a perspective that will be eye-opening for many.

I look forward to seeing some of my west coast friends there!

Marc Abrams

SeiserL 10-18-2011 03:42 PM

I'll add my endorsement and recommendation.

Trained with Ushiro Kenji at each Aiki-Expo.

Brilliant.

Thomas Campbell 10-25-2011 11:50 AM

ttt

Janet Rosen 10-25-2011 12:55 PM

All I know is its a darn shame the northward migration of western California is not progressing quickly enough for me to be able to just drive up for a weekend every couple of months for a seminar.....

Marc Abrams 11-02-2011 08:17 AM

I would like to thank those who attended with great seminar. The Aikidoka in attendance came primarily from Ledyard Sensei's dojo and Yoseikan dojos in Canada. There was a large group of Shito Ryu Karateka that also complimented the large group of attendees. Josh Drachman did an outstanding job organizing the seminar!

We were VERY, VERY thankful that this seminar was in Seattle. My region in New York was devastated by the major snow storm. I was fortunate to return home to a house that had just gotten it's power back. We are reaching out to friends in the area to offer our house as a respite for those who have not gotten power back yet.

Ushiro Sensei presented a fascinating perspective on how to neutralize opponents be utilizing three different methods. The first, was the proper use of posture; the second, was the proper use of body breathing; the third was the proper use of ki. Sanchin kata was used as the foundational structure for use as a vehicle for these three very different methods of neutralization.

The seminar series is shaping up nicely for 2012. The next seminar will be in New York on April 21 & 22, 2012. The Seattle seminar will likely be during the third weekend of August. Stay tuned for updates!

Marc Abrams