AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Events Listings: Non-Aikido Martial Traditions (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Dan Harden at Ledyards dojo May 22, 2011 till? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19798)

DH 05-05-2011 03:34 PM

Dan Harden at Ledyards dojo May 22, 2011 till?

Sort of a last minute thing. I will be in Washington; training.....teaching...what have you....11 hours a day with or without you. Contact me at homeoffice@charter.net or contact george.
It's kinda booked I have so many friends there that everyone is welcome. :-)
Maybe i'll see ya there.
Dan

Janet Rosen 05-05-2011 05:24 PM

Re: Dan Harden at Ledyards dojo May 22, 2011 till?

Well, shoot. Just a little too far to jump in the car ....

George S. Ledyard 05-05-2011 05:46 PM

Josh Drachman jdrachman1@juno.com for information on how to sign up.

Class Content: Beginners and first timers with Dan are welcome to attend all classes but are encouraged to participate in the evening classes Friday, Monday and Tuesday as well as the Saturday and Sunday morning classes where Dan will focus on fundamentals. Folks with some experience should attend any / all of the classes.

Friday, May 20
6:00 - 9:00 pm (Intro / Basics)

Saturday, May 21
9:00 am -12:00 pm (Intro / Basics)
2:00 pm - 6:00 pm

Sunday, May 22

Monday, May 23
10:00 am -12:30 pm
2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
6:00 pm - 8:00 pm (Intro / Basics)

Tuesday, May 23

Howard Popkin 05-05-2011 07:56 PM

Sounds like a party !!! :)

George S. Ledyard 05-09-2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

George S. Ledyard wrote: (Post 283003)
Josh Drachman jdrachman1@juno.com for information on how to sign up.

Class Content: Beginners and first timers with Dan are welcome to attend all classes but are encouraged to participate in the evening classes Friday, Monday and Tuesday as well as the Saturday and Sunday morning classes where Dan will focus on fundamentals. Folks with some experience should attend any / all of the classes.

Friday, May 20
6:00 - 9:00 pm (Intro / Basics)

Saturday, May 21

Sunday, May 22

Monday, May 23

Tuesday, May 23

Small correction:
Saturday, May 21
10:00 am -12:00 pm (Intro / Basics)

mathewjgano 05-20-2011 11:24 PM

Attended this evening; great fun! I can see why so many folks really dig Dan's classes. I wish I could do the whole thing, but tonight and sunday morning are all I'm cleared for...well worth it though!!! Already a lot to focus on and try to remember!
Good night folks!
Matt

DH 05-21-2011 12:44 AM

Quote:

Matthew Gano wrote: (Post 284284)
Attended this evening; great fun! I can see why so many folks really dig Dan's classes. I wish I could do the whole thing, but tonight and sunday morning are all I'm cleared for...well worth it though!!! Already a lot to focus on and try to remember!
Good night folks!
Matt

Matt
I have a lot of friends and repeat people coming, please get in my face sunday and remind me. Tonight was just a review. Sunday is more detail.
See ya then
Dan

mathewjgano 05-21-2011 10:04 AM

Quote:

Dan Harden wrote: (Post 284287)
Matt
I have a lot of friends and repeat people coming, please get in my face sunday and remind me. Tonight was just a review. Sunday is more detail.
See ya then
Dan

Hi Dan,
Even that was pretty darn useful! I'm really looking forward to sunday!
ciao mein!

mathewjgano 05-23-2011 01:34 PM

Well I didn't get in his face like I should have, but it was still very informative! I'd like to thank Dan and Josh for the chance to experience a small taste of Dan's training, along with Ledyard Sensei for providing the space to do it in (It's a very nice dojo!). I'd also like to thank the people I got to train with! I'm pretty sure I was the weakest link and really I appreciate all the help I got!
Of course I'm a very low level of skill (practically non-existent), so my observations aren't worth a whole lot, but Dan was incredibly soft and his diligence for continuous training was very aparent and very inspiring. He's a great mixture of seriousness and fun!
Where I've often been called a nice guy by people who meant it half-heartedly-nice, Dan called me a stupid bastard in what felt entirely friendly. I know I'm repeating what many others have said, but in my brief experience he's a guy who has a serious passion for training and a serious passion for the people he's training with! I'd recommend any serious student of budo to train with him.
Thanks again for the opportunity!
Matt

Allen Beebe 05-25-2011 11:44 AM

Had another great time with terrific instruction (clear, concise, compassionate, compelling), great training partners (focused, thoughtful, honest, encouraging, and enduring), with learning, laughter and friendship.

I've come away with the elusive magic combination of knowing what I need to work on (areas of weakness), what I need to do to improve ("What don't you know?") and how to do it, motivated, confident and encouraged that I can and will continue to improve, and looking forward to the next time . . . not just because I'm confident that I will be better, not just because I am confident that I will learn more, but also because I am confident that the next time I will continue to deepen existing relationships and form new ones that enrich and enhance my life as a whole and improve me as person.

On the down side . . . some people started a malicious rumor that I snore very loudly. Oh . . . and there are still no patches. But that was probably just an oversight! (And the snoring thing was probably just a simple mistake. Confusion with the sound of a passing semi air breaking or a a nearby freight train in the night . . . completely understandable and easily accounted for!)

woudew 05-25-2011 11:46 AM

Good to hear you had a great time.

Snoring? You?
I can't imaging that

Allen Beebe 05-25-2011 01:24 PM

Quote:

Walter Oude Wesselink wrote: (Post 284442)
Good to hear you had a great time.

Snoring? You?
I can't imaging that

Unbelievable right???

But you know this is a seismic region and individuals that haven't experienced that low rumbling that can wake one in the middle of the night might easily misattribute the unfamiliar sensation to something of a more mundane experience. A natural mistake. No big deal.

My wife gets confused like that all the time and she grew up in the Bay Area! In fact, curiously enough, she made the same mistake again just this morning!! If SHE can be fooled into thinking that a low flying jet or underground nuclear testing is snoring, well, I guess I can't fault others for being just as easily confused.

thisisnotreal 05-25-2011 03:20 PM

Matt, What did you think? How did it stack up to your expectations?
Cheers,

mathewjgano 05-25-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Josh Philipson wrote: (Post 284448)
Matt, What did you think? How did it stack up to your expectations?
Cheers,

Hi Josh,
I had a great time! I'm still processing a little, and I only got a small taste of the training since I only made it to 2 intro/beginner sessions (3 hours each), but they gave me some good things to think about. I didn't have any expectations beyond being pretty sure Dan would be miles beyond me, so expectations were definately met on that mark.
As a teacher, Dan was as nice as I've heard him described. Like I said earlier, I can see why folks like training with him. His enthusiasm is contagious and makes the training that much more fun. I'm looking forward to bumping into him again to see what I can see!
I'll try to think of something more substantive, but that's about it for now.
Take care,
Matt

DH 05-25-2011 10:56 PM

Sitting at an airport. My flight is Seattle to boston by going down to the gulf of mexico back up the east coast to avoid storms. Missed my connector flight and will now be up all night....gee I love to fly.

I must say I have a lot to write about...when I can get some sleep. George has one he'll of a great group to train with. It was obvious that they had been working. It was very gratifying to feel changes in most everyone who was at the last shindig and to have informed questions being asked. Hoi's son Seth was the surprise of the weekend. As soon as I touched him...bam, connection!!! And he is just 16yrs old. I shouldn't have been surprised knowing the dad..and let's just face it, koryu people rock!:D sixteen...ee gads.

I can't pin it down so I will just say that between Kazen's systema
, Howards Daito ryu, and Gleason, ledyard, Drachman, and ikedas aikido, I should not be so surprised.
the questions were a lot of fun.
I had a blast playing with Kaizen. Tough son of a bitch
, very soft and great to try and throw. What a mecca George has turned his dojo into.
more on my observations later. I didn't get much sleep due to a continuous mild earthquake in and about the house I was staying at....thankfully we were all ok. Why.....Allen slept right throught all.
Cheers
Dan.

Howard Popkin 05-26-2011 07:22 AM

Quote:

Dan Harden wrote: (Post 284454)

I can't pin it down so I will just say that between Kazen's systema
, Howards Daito ryu, and Gleason, ledyard, Drachman, and ikedas aikido, I should not be so surprised.
the questions were a lot of fun.
I had a blast playing with Kaizen. Tough son of a bitch
, very soft and great to try and throw. What a mecca George has turned his dojo into.
more on my observations later.
Cheers
Dan.

YEP :)

Rabih Shanshiry 05-27-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Dan Harden wrote: (Post 284454)
I had a blast playing with Kaizen. Tough son of a bitch, very soft and great to try and throw.

That's a heck of a compliment considering the source...wish I could have been there!

...rab

Milty66 05-28-2011 07:52 AM

Dan,

It was great to have you back this past weekend! We all appreciated your generosity in teaching!

-M