AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Fire!!! (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10910)

Jess McDonald 09-04-2006 10:03 PM

Fire!!!

:( On Thursday my apartment caught fire. It could have been a lot worse but it's still pretty bad. Livin' at the ol' mother-in laws place until we land back on our feet. Among the other stuff my gi has now gone from pearl white (with the occasional scuff) to soot black. It's bad but I think I can salvage it. The belt is also covered in soot...I guess my question is...does this make me a black belt now??? :) :D You just got to go with life; she'll change on you in an instant and you better hold on!! :cool:

Gernot Hassenpflug 09-04-2006 10:21 PM

Re: Fire!!!

Sorry to hear that Jess, good luck with getting all back in order again.

ian 09-05-2006 03:31 AM

Wow - unfortunate that your appartment caught fire (but fortunate you are alive!). I think there is something in the human brain that hates to think that events just happen and sometimes its just unfortunate. You are taking it really well! We always want to explain things and beat ourselves up about stuff to no avail. Reminds me of a story in the Lieh Tzu where a merchant is travelling through bandit country and gets robbed by some bandits. He puts up a really good fight which results in him getting killed by them. His brother, also a merchant, is travelling through the same area some time later. His father told him, if he gets attacked, to let them have everything and escape - using his brother as an example of what happens if you fight. This brother also gets robbed, and follows his fathers advice, letting them have everything. However, realising that he may alert the police in the neighbouring town if the bandits let him escape, they catch him and kill him.

SeiserL 09-05-2006 07:15 AM

Empathy and compassion.

Yes, enter and blend with life.

Now wash the go and get back to training. ;-)

gdandscompserv 09-05-2006 07:25 AM

So sorry.
Sounds like you are keeping your sense of humor though. That's important. You live to train again! :D

statisticool 09-05-2006 09:44 AM

Quote:

Jess McDonald wrote:
:( On Thursday my apartment caught fire. It could have been a lot worse but it's still pretty bad. Livin' at the ol' mother-in laws place until we land back on our feet. Among the other stuff my gi has now gone from pearl white (with the occasional scuff) to soot black. It's bad but I think I can salvage it. The belt is also covered in soot...I guess my question is...does this make me a black belt now??? :) :D You just got to go with life; she'll change on you in an instant and you better hold on!! :cool:

That is really awful, glad everyone is OK.

You should use this as motivation to create a flame resistant gi!
:)

Justin

Nick Simpson 09-05-2006 10:16 AM

Glad no one got hurt, sorry about your apartment and that!

Luc X Saroufim 09-05-2006 10:47 AM

good to see you're alive and well

Janet Rosen 09-05-2006 06:23 PM

Jess, glad you are ok--the rest is "stuff" :-)

James Davis 09-06-2006 10:50 AM

Quote:

Jess McDonald wrote:

I'm glad to see that you're using a lot of smilies in your post! Be adaptive, and stay happy. ;)

Mark Uttech 09-06-2006 04:40 PM

what an incredible black belt test! And you passed? It is completely possible that the 43 gods of aikido promoted you to shodan.

In gassho,
Mark

dps 09-06-2006 06:43 PM

Wow, you got flamed and wasn't even rude to any one on AikiWeb.

Seriously, glad no one was hurt, hope you had insurance and hope you get along well with the in-laws in this stressful time.

Brad Pruitt 09-06-2006 11:21 PM

I wish you well !

Jess McDonald 09-08-2006 12:30 AM

Thanks guys!! :) Everything is pulling together. I washed the gi several times and seems to be just fine (aside from a few scuffs that give it character)!! Thanks again for all your support! :)