AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Discussions (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Keanu Reeves to Rape Japanese Culture (Remake of "47 Ronin") (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19236)

Gorgeous George 01-14-2011 03:56 AM

Keanu Reeves to Rape Japanese Culture (Remake of "47 Ronin")

Is nothing sacred...?

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=51176

The guy who wrote 'Fast and Furious' is writing it, for Christ's sake...

I wonder how they'll explain the presence of a white man...

As one comment reads:

'one billion of us out there and the best they can find is the sidekick from the Bill and Ted movies...guy has as much personality as a paper sack... '.

Tatsukage 01-14-2011 09:13 AM

Re: Keanu Reeves to Rape Japanese Culture

Seriously? I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Possibly both.

Randy Sexton 01-14-2011 09:15 AM

A very rich and very popular paper sack!!
Doc Sexton

Gary Petrison 01-14-2011 11:25 PM

The link is from 2008, but the movie is still in production with a scheduled release date of November 21,2012.

sakumeikan 01-15-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Graham Jenkins wrote: (Post 273120)
Is nothing sacred...?

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=51176

The guy who wrote 'Fast and Furious' is writing it, for Christ's sake...

I wonder how they'll explain the presence of a white man...

As one comment reads:

'one billion of us out there and the best they can find is the sidekick from the Bill and Ted movies...guy has as much personality as a paper sack... '.

Hi Graham,
God forbid.Reeves makes a bokken look animated. Reves is rich -yes, popular -perhaps , an actor -grim. Seagal [bad as he is ] acts like an Oscar winner in relation to the wooden wonder.

lbb 01-16-2011 05:01 PM

Release date of 2012? It'll never see the light of day. Any idea whose pet project this is?

Gorgeous George 01-17-2011 02:21 AM

Re: Keanu Reeves to Rape Japanese Culture (Remake of "47 Ronin")

@ Joe: you're absolutely correct, haha: Seagal out-acts the man...troubling.

@ Mary: IMDB says Carl Rinsch(?) is the director -

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1335975/

As to likelihood of release: they're already hard at work making hundreds of kimonos, it seems -

http://www.showbiz-i.com/2010/12/10/...-long-sleeves/

lbb 01-17-2011 06:36 AM

Quote:

Graham Jenkins wrote: (Post 273386)
As to likelihood of release: they're already hard at work making hundreds of kimonos, it seems -

http://www.showbiz-i.com/2010/12/10/...-long-sleeves/

Wow. If that picture doesn't paint a thousand words, I don't know what does. Keanu Reeves, a latter-day David Carradine.

Cliff Judge 01-17-2011 07:03 AM

Quote:

Mary Malmros wrote: (Post 273397)
Wow. If that picture doesn't paint a thousand words, I don't know what does. Keanu Reeves, a latter-day David Carradine.

Isn't that a still from "The Matrix"?

lbb 01-17-2011 07:11 AM

Quote:

Cliff Judge wrote: (Post 273398)
Isn't that a still from "The Matrix"?

Wouldn't know, I couldn't make it past the first ten minutes. He's like Botox Man or something.

Gorgeous George 01-17-2011 07:52 AM

Quote:

Mary Malmros wrote: (Post 273399)
Wouldn't know, I couldn't make it past the first ten minutes. He's like Botox Man or something.

Haha. Then you spared yourself the two sequels: two films that ruined a perfectly good trilogy.

And yes: I believe the still is from The Matrix.

I also heard the idiot is gonna do Bill and Ted 3...

Aikibu 01-17-2011 10:57 AM

Hmmmmmm....

Would you folks consider a Jackie Chan remake of "Patton" to be a rape of American "Culture" ;) LOL

Seriously....It's a fracking movie (if it ever gets made) nothing more.

William Hazen

Gorgeous George 01-17-2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

William Hazen wrote: (Post 273432)
Hmmmmmm....

Would you folks consider a Jackie Chan remake of "Patton" to be a rape of American "Culture" ;) LOL

Seriously....It's a fracking movie (if it ever gets made) nothing more.

William Hazen

Indeed. But then, aren't forms of media/mass communication responsible for the shaping of society - people's' attitudes, sense of history, what have you?
There was uproar at that Mel Gibson Christian film where he was accused of anti-Semitism...just a film - nothing more - but tell that to Julius Streicher: they hanged him after the war, and all he did was publish a newspaper.
And if you look at forms of propagandising/programming in Soviet Russia: they couldn't use printed media, as people were illiterate, so they set up cinemas...

Ideas are very important things - the most important things, in fact: people live solely for the sake of ideas.
Men die: ideas live on.

kewms 01-17-2011 09:21 PM

Quote:

Graham Jenkins wrote: (Post 273435)
And if you look at forms of propagandising/programming in Soviet Russia: they couldn't use printed media, as people were illiterate, so they set up cinemas...

Not true. Literacy rates in Soviet Russia grew steadily from the Revolution until the fall of Communism.

Cinema was a powerful form of propaganda, but compulsory, state-run education was even more powerful.

Katherine

Gorgeous George 01-17-2011 10:50 PM

Quote:

Katherine Derbyshire wrote: (Post 273498)
Not true. Literacy rates in Soviet Russia grew steadily from the Revolution until the fall of Communism.

Cinema was a powerful form of propaganda, but compulsory, state-run education was even more powerful.

Katherine

Haha.
I didn't contend the contrary.

I read - in a respected history book - about how the fascists/Communists travelled throughout Russia (a very backwards place), with portable cinemas, because the people weren't able to read, hence written propaganda was useless.
There were attempts to get the few literate peasants to teach others, but these were unsuccessful.
Later educational reforms - aiming to increase literacy - were enacted, like all else, only for the sake of the State: those who can read, can read propaganda...

Some interesting reading:

http://www.filmreference.com/encyclo...1918-1929.html

http://www.essortment.com/all/sovietpropagand_rboc.htm

I wouldn't have thought that a 'steady increase in literacy rates' in Russia, from 1917 to 1990, was a resounding success: these people were largely ignorant peasants - serfs, until it was nearly the 20th century; even post-'emancipation', they were little more than isolated, parochial farmers.
Bertrand Russell's account of his visit to Russia in 1920 is excellent: he speaks of the peasants' dismay when the government took their food, to replace it only with paper (money), that they had no use for.
So I think a steady progress from this state of affairs, is not really befitting a nation with nuclear weapons.

But you know: there was ambiguity in my statement - I wasn't referring to the entire history of the Soviet Union; I meant the early years, mainly.

kewms 01-18-2011 12:59 AM

Quote:

Graham Jenkins wrote: (Post 273503)
I wouldn't have thought that a 'steady increase in literacy rates' in Russia, from 1917 to 1990, was a resounding success: these people were largely ignorant peasants - serfs, until it was nearly the 20th century; even post-'emancipation', they were little more than isolated, parochial farmers.
Bertrand Russell's account of his visit to Russia in 1920 is excellent: he speaks of the peasants' dismay when the government took their food, to replace it only with paper (money), that they had no use for.
So I think a steady progress from this state of affairs, is not really befitting a nation with nuclear weapons.

They didn't have nuclear weapons in 1920... By the 1930s, literacy rates were above 75%, which is (depending on methodology) arguably better than modern nuclear powers like the United States.

Katherine

Gorgeous George 01-18-2011 01:39 AM

Quote:

Katherine Derbyshire wrote: (Post 273507)
They didn't have nuclear weapons in 1920... By the 1930s, literacy rates were above 75%, which is (depending on methodology) arguably better than modern nuclear powers like the United States.

Katherine

I didn't say they had nuclear weapons in 1920...but thank you for the factoid.

75%? Really? What's the source - not the Communists...?

lbb 01-18-2011 06:46 AM

What is the sound of an axe being ground? I think we're hearing it here.

Gorgeous George 01-18-2011 06:58 AM

Quote:

Mary Malmros wrote: (Post 273526)
What is the sound of an axe being ground? I think we're hearing it here.

Haha.

sakumeikan 01-18-2011 09:10 AM

Quote:

Mary Malmros wrote: (Post 273397)

Hi Mary,
Who /what should we hang up in the wardrobe? Joe.

lbb 01-18-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Joe Curran wrote: (Post 273538)
Hi Mary,
Who /what should we hang up in the wardrobe? Joe.

Is this a trick question? If you can snatch the pebble from my hand...uhhhh wait it's the rice paper...

sakumeikan 01-19-2011 01:51 AM

Quote:

Mary Malmros wrote: (Post 273564)
Is this a trick question? If you can snatch the pebble from my hand...uhhhh wait it's the rice paper...

Hi Mary,
Not to sure about snatching pebble from your hand.Might try snatching your hand from the pebble.Improvising my waza here.
As far as rice paper is concerned my plodding feet would not be sensitive enough----might need corrugated cardboard to show off my skills.
Cheers, Joe.

lbb 01-19-2011 08:30 AM

Right, that was clearly one cultural reference too many...

OwlMatt 01-20-2011 05:12 PM

They're going to have to take a lot of liberties with the story, I think, if they want to make this an action flick. The only real violence in the story of the 47 is at the beginning and at the end.

If I wanted to make a movie of the story, I'd make a film version of The Hokkaido Road.

mjongkamp 07-30-2014 04:26 PM

wow, I see the subtitles now and I liked the movie. Not great but nice. however I do not understand the prejudicies which started this thread.