AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Going to Aikido with a Headache (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9432)

Saturn 12-12-2005 04:16 PM

Going to Aikido with a Headache

How many people out there will actually go and suffer the whole time.

MaryKaye 12-12-2005 04:29 PM

Re: Going to Aikido with a Headache

I'm generally surprised how much better I feel once I get on the mat, though doubtless it depends on why you have a headache in the first place. Anyway, I find it saves psychological effort if I don't decide each day to go or not, but just go unless I'm really sick.

Severe headaches (visual illusions, blacking out, throwing up, screaming amounts of pain) count as "really sick" though. Luckily I seem to have outgrown these.

Mary Kaye

Rupert Atkinson 12-12-2005 06:04 PM

I find that Aikido training - any kind of physical training - cures most problems I have from headaches and stomach aches to mild muscle strains and aches (training done within reason, of course).

Janet Rosen 12-12-2005 06:33 PM

Depends on cause! Migraine--nope, gotta take meds. Sinus--hmm, depends on if the head pressure makes me dizzy when my head goes below the rest of me. Tension, neck, or dehydration--yep, drink some liquids and get on the mat!

Robert Jackson 12-12-2005 07:25 PM

Like everyone else said it depends on the cause. Most of my headaches tend to be stress related so they make me look forward to class. Nothing better than the sound of a good high fall to ease stress :)

Karen Wolek 12-12-2005 08:25 PM

My headaches usually disappear during class and for an hour or so afterward. So I always go to class with a headache.

CatSienna 12-12-2005 09:07 PM

I generally go whether with a migraine or tension or detox-related headache. It definitely helps with tension and detox-related headaches. With migraines it depends what stage it's reached ie I go when I'm not actually on the point of throwing up. If I'm mildly nauseous I still step on the mat as the nausea will usually disappear when I get active. I never get any visual auras and I don't usually get dizzy so I don't have to consider those cases but I would probably not do aikido if I were dizzy or had auras. With auras in particular because they can be a precursor to strokes, I think it might be important to see a doctor to check your risks for that. I'm not medically trained though, so this is not meant to be medical advice for any particular case.

Overall I find practising aikido generally reduces the severity of my headaches and in milder cases the headaches disappear, provided I don't tie my hair too tight ;P.

GreenLizzard 12-13-2005 04:15 PM

I have a headache and plan on going to class tonight.

Mark Uttech 12-13-2005 09:32 PM

Headaches are actually an alarm system. Nothing to fool around with.

RebeccaM 12-13-2005 10:44 PM

Depends on the headache. I've made it through and even enjoyed class with a headache. I've also tried to train witha headache and ended up having to get off the mat because it felt like some jerk was trying to dig their way out of my head with an ice pick. Fortunately, a very kind chiropractor was in class and she did something to me neck that made things bearable enough for me to rejoin the class.

If it's one of those "my life sucks/I live in hell" headaches then aikido can help. If your head hurts because you're dehydrated or sick, you'd probably be better off kicking back in a comfy chair and drinking lots and lots of water. If you do decide to train, watch yourself. Nothing sucks quite like running off the mat to puke.

villrg0a 12-14-2005 12:24 AM

I have migrane, if I cant take it and need to go to practice, the wife sticks a needle to my behind loaded with voltaren. Otherwise, a mefenamic acid (ponstan) should do the trick. I've had headaches for a long time, as a result I now have hypertension, the doc said the headaches caused it. Sometimes, I just ignore it - often times it does not go away, other times aikido takes care of it.

Saturn 12-14-2005 08:45 AM

Yes, puking would not be proper in the dojo. If I have a headache then I agree with Mark, headaches are an alarm system telling you something is wrong. It is not something to play around with, there is a possibility of injury if it is tension, and dehydration could cause you to pass out. I say, personally if I have a headache, no matter what the cause, I am staying home because all that training and effort would be all for nothing if I had to restart after healing from an injury. One day off is better than a couple of months. evileyes

Dan_Hicks 12-14-2005 12:03 PM

Usually by the time I'm done with 2 hours of good training, all of my other muscles are so sore that I completely forget about my head hurting. :uch: