AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Weapons (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Bokken Reccomendations (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25310)

TheOneNamedDan 07-29-2017 04:25 AM

Bokken Reccomendations

Hello everyone, I am having a really great time on Aikiweb so far. I have never seen a community this dedicated from so many different places around the world, it is really incredible.

I am going to begin studying Iwami style Aikido soon, and doing some weapon work as part of that. My Sensei has said that I will need to purchase my own Bokken for the training and I want to make sure that I am making the best purchase. I saw that now there are quite a few Bokken available that are made of different woods and not just Japanese White Oak. Are these impostors that should not even be looked at? And is $60-$80 USD a good price point? I am really nervous excited about this so I imagine my questions are really quite silly, I just want to do my best to get ready. Anything you all can say or suggest would be greatly appreciated :D

robin_jet_alt 07-29-2017 05:10 AM

Re: Bokken Reccomendations

There are plenty of great woods that are not Japanese white oak. There are also some that are not so good. You would need to be a little bit more specific. Also, your teacher may have some requirements to do with size and shape that you would need to look into.

Michael Hackett 07-29-2017 09:36 AM

I would recommend that you look at Kingfisher brand weapons. They are a first class company and have a great variety of different weapons (including Iwama style bokuto) made from different woods. Many of my dojomates and I own Kingfisher equipment and are very satisfied with the quality and the prices. Check out their website.

Janet Rosen 07-29-2017 12:41 PM

Kim Taylor at Univ of Guelph makes amazing wooden weapons, reasonably priced. I swear by his hickory bokken and jo... http://sdksupplies.netfirms.com/cat_stdweapons.htm

TheOneNamedDan 07-30-2017 05:38 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone, I will be sure to check out Kingfisher and SDK supplies before making my decision. I will also try and speak quickly with the instructor to see if there are any special requirements that he has.

TheOneNamedDan 08-01-2017 12:33 AM

Quote:

Dan Belnout wrote: (Post 351781)
Hello everyone, I am having a really great time on Aikiweb so far. I have never seen a community this dedicated from so many different places around the world, it is really incredible.

I am going to begin studying Iwami style Aikido soon, and doing some weapon work as part of that. My Sensei has said that I will need to purchase my own Bokken for the training and I want to make sure that I am making the best purchase. I saw that now there are quite a few Bokken available that are made of different woods and not just Japanese White Oak. Are these impostors that should not even be looked at? And is $60-$80 USD a good price point? I am really nervous excited about this so I imagine my questions are really quite silly, I just want to do my best to get ready. Anything you all can say or suggest would be greatly appreciated :D

Just want to thank everyone again for their help and information, I am going to be recieving my Hickory Bokken from Kim Taylor in a couple weeks. I cannot wait, I have been wanting to do some weapons training this year and this is the first time I have actually had a chance.

robin_jet_alt 08-01-2017 03:25 AM

Quote:

Dan Belnout wrote: (Post 351802)
Just want to thank everyone again for their help and information, I am going to be recieving my Hickory Bokken from Kim Taylor in a couple weeks. I cannot wait, I have been wanting to do some weapons training this year and this is the first time I have actually had a chance.

They look beautiful. I hope your bokken serves you well.

MattMiddleton 08-01-2017 11:57 AM

I bought a set of Kim's white oak weapons about 7 years ago, and absolutely love them. The bokken is kind of heavy in comparison to my club's weapons, but I kind of like that - keeps me honest ;)

Janet Rosen 08-01-2017 02:03 PM

Quote:

Dan Belnout wrote: (Post 351802)

Wonderful!!! The hickory is lightweight but incredibly tough and very beautiful to handle. You should get many years of solid service from it.

ninjedi 08-02-2017 12:02 PM

I have a purpleheart bokken and tanto from Kim Taylor/SDK. The jo was a bit pricey for my liking, so I found a purpleheart dowel from Bell Forest and cut/sanded and finished it myself to complete the set. They look great and have held up well, but I admit I have spent a great deal of time oiling, sanding, re-oiling all of them so that they retain their quality.

AI KI DO KA 08-04-2017 12:19 PM

I think best way is to go, to Japan. Find old bokken master, and make a deal... ;)

jamesf 08-19-2017 04:08 AM

For those in the United States, particularly on the west coast, I would recommend www.e-bogu.com. It was maybe two years ago that I purchased from them both an Iwama-style white oak bokken and a jo. Everything showed up at my door within a week, and they have both held up extremely well to frequent partner practice: no cracking, no splinters, no run-outs, and all dents are small and shallow.

The bokken has good heft to it, maybe 3/4 the weight of an actual katana; it even seems to be maybe an ounce or two heavier than my sensei's bokken (also Iwama-style). The jo is actually a little light for my taste, but that's just the result of it being of "standard" dimension.

Avery Jenkins 09-06-2017 08:47 PM

Blizniak's Bokkens is a great site. He has dozens of hardwoods at his disposal -- all sustainably harvested -- and can make a variety of weapons. I had him make a laminated jo with the outer layers of ipe and the center layer of bloodwood, and that thing just rocks.

I later picked up an all-ipe bokken on a clearance sale for $80. Weighs more than my hickory bokken, but the thing is really well balanced and packs a wallop.

Dan is a really knowledgeable guy, and will answer your questions promptly.

http://blizniaksbokken.com/

Larry Feldman 09-07-2017 11:26 AM

Kim Taylor SDK Supplies....

Dothemo 10-05-2017 07:21 PM

I bought mine from All Japan Bodogu, they are Japanese made with free international shipping. http://www.alljapanbudogu.com. Excellent quality bokken, just excellent including the price too.

jurasketu 10-05-2017 09:31 PM

I strongly recommend Kingfisher. Appalachian Hickory is damn near indestructible and lightweight. The quality is great - especially the higher end versions. They make great gifts. :)

Cliff Judge 10-09-2017 05:20 PM

Don't get a hickory bokken for Iwama Aikiken. That bokken is supposed to have a particular shape and balance and a hickory version will be too light and soft. Get something like the ones Saito Sensei used, probably just Japanese white oak.