AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Testing (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Shodan exam video (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17463)

Sasha Mrkailo 01-04-2010 04:14 PM

Shodan exam video

Part of shodan exam in our Aikido Dojo. Video made with my cellphone so the quality is low, but would like to hear comments.
The guy on the video is Tibor Siladji, I practice with him often.

http://www.archive.org/download/Aiki...0016_512kb.mp4
All videos can bee seen here:
http://www.archive.org/details/AikidoSomborExaminations

Greetings and happy New Year!

Sasha Mrkailo 01-05-2010 06:25 AM

Re: Shodan exam video

Umm, no comments yet, is the quality of the video so bad or perhaps you can't see it at all?

SmilingNage 01-05-2010 07:36 AM

The test had a real nice flow and connectivity to it. He displayed some nice ukemi skills and looked very good through the connective drills. Stylistically I didnt care for the Irimi nage nor the kokyu nage throws. I prefer a stronger and more solid finish. But his throws did fit in with what he was demonstrating.

For what it is worth, if he was aiming for a flowing, connective test he did a very amicable job. But hey what do I know I am just the 500 lb gorilla in the room.

Sasha Mrkailo 01-05-2010 10:46 AM

Thank you for the comment. Although I am not sure I understood you completely. Anyway he did it like that for 30 minutes. And actually he is very tough and finishes his techniques in a serious manner. But that is something you can't really see in a such video.

piyush.kumar 01-05-2010 02:00 PM

Excellent benchmark for a shodan test, Nice flow and rhythm. Cannot find constructive criticism for a shodan level :). Perhaps though, varying the rhythm and pace might help pose more of a challenge.

Sasha Mrkailo 01-05-2010 02:42 PM

Thanks Piyush, that is an interesting point. Never thought about it from that angle.

dalen7 01-16-2010 02:27 PM

The movements appear to be rather fluid. [nice]. :)

Peace

dAlen

Zach Trent 04-15-2010 10:25 PM

Sasha- Wow man. Just wow.

I like your test a ton- your dojo seems to emphasize movement and avoiding over physical dominance. Looks so cool.

Just two questions though:

1. What kind of physical conditioning did you do for this test?

2. Can you keep yourself centerend/balanced while turning so much? You must have turned 300 times or so during this test!

Zach

Boris Spassky 04-20-2010 03:55 AM

Very impressive!

Techniques seem to vary from dojo to dojo but what I really enjoyed and appreciate is the flow you have! I have a lot of work cut out for me in order to move anything like you did there-

Thanks for posting!
Jamey

Aran Bright 05-21-2010 01:38 AM

Great fitness!:hypno:

Must have gotten dizzy though?

Personally I would like to see more finishing to your techniques but I'm guessing your told not to force things?

Got to be pretty happy with that though.;)

dapidmini 04-19-2011 12:22 PM

wow.. was that really a shodan exam? why is he already wearing a hakama? I thought we start wearing a hakama after passing the exam, not when we're taking it?

I don't get to see a lot of yudansha but I think that his standard is above shodan.. or is it just me?

hughrbeyer 04-19-2011 03:40 PM

I'd appreciate knowing which style of Aikido this is. Since different styles value different things, I'm going to evaluate it differently based on what that style emphasizes.

sorokod 04-19-2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

Hugh Beyer wrote: (Post 281809)
I'd appreciate knowing which style of Aikido this is. Since different styles value different things, I'm going to evaluate it differently based on what that style emphasizes.

Fair enough. I'd appreciate knowing which style of Aikido you practice Hugh, and for how long. This way I will be able to properly evaluate your evaluation.

Mark Freeman 04-19-2011 04:24 PM

Quote:

Hi Hugh,

I'd be curious to know the lineage of the aikidoka too, but I'm not sure you can evaluate things differently based on 'style'. You are right there are many points of emphasis given by different teachers (even within the same style). Why not evaluate it just for the aikido it is?

Personally I liked what I saw, I think there is much to be commended going on in the grading shown, good timing, circular movement, blending and flow, the attacks are positive and the ukemi looks good. I'd say that it is probably a good indication of the things that this style emphasizes.

I didn't check out all of the vids provided in the second link, but there are some interesting techniques being done with a cord/string as defence (I think it is the last vid in the list) worth checking out if you haven't already.

regards

Mark

Janet Rosen 04-19-2011 09:33 PM

You all know this is a year old thread by someone not actively participating in aikiweb?

hughrbeyer 04-20-2011 04:55 PM

Quote:

Janet Rosen wrote: (Post 281838)
You all know this is a year old thread by someone not actively participating in aikiweb?

Heh. Damn that reality check. :freaky:

@Mark, we could go around on that one all day. Certainly it's easy to evaluate based on what I think is effective, or what I think is good aikido, but at some level that's an opinion that's only of interest to me. If I were going to comment, I'd like to know what's unique to this individual and what's a reflection of his style.

mickeygelum 04-21-2011 09:27 PM

That was a shodan grading? Honest opinion, sorry, but that was a a poor example. Yonkyu at best, within our standards.

Mickey

SteliosPapadakis 06-08-2011 06:09 AM

Quote:

Michael Gelum wrote: (Post 282065)
That was a shodan grading? Honest opinion, sorry, but that was a a poor example. Yonkyu at best, within our standards.

Mickey

What exactly did you not like, Michael?

dusterio 08-08-2011 04:41 AM

Quote:

Michael Gelum wrote: (Post 282065)

Mickey

Yonkyu??? :)))

I visited 10+ dojos in 4+ countries, and it does look like a good shodan level to me ;)))

And certainly not a yonkyu ;-))))

Sasha Mrkailo 01-03-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Zach Trent wrote: (Post 255668)
Sasha- Wow man. Just wow.

I like your test a ton- your dojo seems to emphasize movement and avoiding over physical dominance. Looks so cool.

Just two questions though:

1. What kind of physical conditioning did you do for this test?

2. Can you keep yourself centerend/balanced while turning so much? You must have turned 300 times or so during this test!

Zach

Its not me, it was my friend who was tested. He is very fit as he is a trainer in his own fitness gym. he is very fit and very capable.

Sasha Mrkailo 01-03-2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

David Santana wrote: (Post 281787)
wow.. was that really a shodan exam? why is he already wearing a hakama? I thought we start wearing a hakama after passing the exam, not when we're taking it?

I don't get to see a lot of yudansha but I think that his standard is above shodan.. or is it just me?

In our (independent) club we start wearing hakama's at 1 Kyu level.

Sasha Mrkailo 01-03-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Just Aikido, no style. Or at least what we (as a group and as individuals) perceive as Aikido.

sakumeikan 02-16-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Sasha Mrkailo wrote: (Post 300114)
Just Aikido, no style. Or at least what we (as a group and as individuals) perceive as Aikido.

Dear Sasha,
From my observayion the student testing has fluid movement .He appears to be fit . His varied ukemis is good-quite athletic.His Aikido unfortunately leaves a bit to be desired. I for on do not think he is too proficient at basics.He lacks precision and his waza lacks good form. Could do with tightening up and going back to study the kihon waza in greater depth. Sorry to be critical but I hope my comments are seen as being constructively critical.Tell him to keep on and polish his art. Cheers, Joe.

JJF 02-17-2012 06:39 AM

Quote:

Sasha Mrkailo wrote: (Post 300113)
In our (independent) club we start wearing hakama's at 1 Kyu level.

Just to chime in: In Danishi aikikai dojo's we start wearing hakama at 3. kyu. It varies from style to style, from country to country and even from dojo to dojo.