AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   North Brooklyn/Long Island City Dojo (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9434)

Deborah Fisher 12-12-2005 08:04 PM

North Brooklyn/Long Island City Dojo

Hello Everyone,

Just started posting again after a 2.5-year hiatus because I am going to get back into training!!

I stopped because I moved from San Diego to NYC, and of course this left me flat broke and busy as a one-armed paper hanger. Now that I am under my feet a little better, I am looking for the ideal dojo situation.

Manhattan unfortunately is out of the question--champagne dues on a beer budget.

I have checked out some dojos in south Brooklyn, and Brooklyn Aikikai was right up my alley. But folks who live in Brooklyn perhaps can understand that choosing this dojo puts me at the mercy of a long ride on the G train at night, and well, G stands for all the grey hair you get waiting for the train at night.

I would love to think that I won't quit even if the commute to the dojo is a bummer... but I would rather just set myself up to succeed if possible. Jun's search engine has yielded nothing.

Anyone know of a (preferably great) dojo in North Brooklyn/Southwestern Queens?

giriasis 12-12-2005 09:19 PM

Re: North Brooklyn/Long Island City Dojo

Try this dojo: Long Island Aikido

Deborah Fisher 12-13-2005 07:42 AM

Thanks, these locations are all really far away from me. Long Island is huge and very congested with traffic.

Long Island City is but a very small part of the westernmost tip of the island.

I realize that I may be asking for something that doesn't exist. But what does it hurt to ask around?

Karen Wolek 12-13-2005 09:37 AM

Hm, I found several dojos within 4-10 miles from Long Island City, using the aikiweb search. None of them work for you? Relying on the subway I guess makes things a little more difficult, but down in the city you have tons of choices. I know some are pricey, though!

Just hop on Metro North and come up to Kingston! <grin>

giriasis 12-13-2005 09:51 AM

Quote:

Deborah Fisher wrote:
Thanks, these locations are all really far away from me. Long Island is huge and very congested with traffic.

Long Island City is but a very small part of the westernmost tip of the island.

I realize that I may be asking for something that doesn't exist. But what does it hurt to ask around?

Sorry, Deb. I'm a little clueless when it comes to New York/ New York City. :freaky: Karen knows it much better than I do. ;)

Janet Rosen 12-13-2005 10:56 AM

Don't know how the commute is for you, but Aikido of Park Slope is a great dojo!

Deborah Fisher 12-13-2005 03:19 PM

Hey all,
Thanks for the replies. Honestly, I don't think what I am looking for exists. Almost inconceivable---there are so many people and so many dojos here, but they are all concentrated in Manhattan (which makes dues insane) or one neighborhood in Brooklyn.

I think I am going to go check out Aikido of Park Slope (a 50-minute train ride during the day, longer at night, not a bad drive, I do have a car, but parking and traffic could make me wish I was on the train...) and do a compare/contrast with Brooklyn Aikikai.

Great to see familiar names.

And if anyone out there in NY is listening... Williamsburg is really hip, and there are already too many yoga studios! Someone needs to open an aikido dojo!

Janet Rosen 12-13-2005 10:30 PM

Quote:

Deborah Fisher wrote:
I think I am going to go check out Aikido of Park Slope (a 50-minute train ride during the day, longer at night, not a bad drive, I do have a car, but parking and traffic could make me wish I was on the train...) and do a compare/contrast with Brooklyn Aikikai.

When I'm in NY I am at my mom's on the border between Gerritsen Beach and Marine Pk--hard to get further away from the Slope and still be in Brooklyn!--but find the drive not onerous and for the evening classes I attend always have been able to park within 1.5 blocks of the dojo.

Deborah Fisher 12-14-2005 06:31 AM

Great--maybe driving and parking is where it's at. I'll give it a try...

Lyle Bogin 12-15-2005 06:54 PM

You have no other train options? Have you tried hopstop.com? Parking is pretty safe...should remain abundant until the new highrises go up on fourth ave. Then park slope is dooooomed! :)

Larry Feldman 12-17-2005 09:56 AM

You mention dues too expensive in NYC, but the instruction comes from much higher ranked teachers. If you found 'the right dojo' it might be worth asking if they have a reduced rate for those earnest students that just can't afford the dues....

pointy 12-17-2005 11:42 AM

Quote:

Janet Rosen wrote:
Don't know how the commute is for you, but Aikido of Park Slope is a great dojo!

;)

i think so too :D

btw, ny aikikai is having the annual xmas seminar/dan tests today. tests start at 4:15 if you wanna go watch

i was going to do ukemi for a friend who is testing but my knee is all messed up! had to cancel last week, i miss training