AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Humor (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Tap Tap Tap... (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21534)

john.burn 07-17-2012 04:55 AM

Tap Tap Tap...

So, I started a lunchtime class for some of my work colleagues and during the first class I was explaining some of the etiquette and teaching them how to roll etc... Just the normal everyday Aikido basics. I also explained about tapping, if something hurts you go tap tap tap...

Towards the end of the class one of my students is working with one of the newbies and all of a sudden everyone stopped dead and all of the aikido people pretty much fell about laughing because the new guy was stood there in a sankyo shouting 'tap tap tap'.

Probably had to be there, but it was funny as hell at the time :).

danj 07-17-2012 05:14 AM

Re: Tap Tap Tap...

'TAP OR SNAP'
Seen printed down the entire leg of an MMA dude's gi pants, love it!!!

Mary Eastland 07-17-2012 07:42 AM

That is funny. Once I told a student to slap out...he slapped me. ;o)

john.burn 07-17-2012 09:10 AM

My first teacher once asked me to punch him just as he turned his back to me to address the class... Luckily I stopped just before the blow landed, everyone else thought it was funny, not so sure Tom would have seen the funny side, well, not initially.

Michael Hackett 07-17-2012 11:31 AM

When I attended the AikiExpo in 2003, I was on the mat with Gaku Homma Sensei. Sensei was teaching sankyo and came to my partner and me to correct what we were doing. He took me into a very powerful sankyo and locked up my whole body. I was on my toes and remembered to start tapping. Unfortunately, I started tapping out by slapping Sensei on his shoulder. As I did, he increased the pressure a little and I increased the force of my taps a LOT!. He let go of me and I was mortified that I had been slapping Sensei hard, and as fast as the Little Drummer Boy. Me, a newbie smacking on a famous shihan!

Homma Sensei laughed out loud and said "Hurts, doesn't it?" No reply was necessary.

dave9nine 07-17-2012 11:32 AM

having started crosstraining in bjj, i have found myself in some instances where the other hand isnt available to tap. in such cases, actually saying "tap" is the next in line, and if its gotten to that point humor is usually absent :eek:

PhilMyKi 07-18-2012 06:54 AM

I remember very early in my career I was training with Bryan Bateman trying my best to execute a kote gaeshi standing pin when he said 'tap' to which I hit the back of his controlled hand, then 'tap, tap' - two hits tot he hand. This went on for a little while before a quite exasperated Bryan said 'look, I am laying on my hand, my feet are off the mat, I can not tap the mat so please listen when I say 'TAP!'' ...

TokyoZeplin 07-19-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Dave Lewin wrote: (Post 313046)
having started crosstraining in bjj, i have found myself in some instances where the other hand isnt available to tap. in such cases, actually saying "tap" is the next in line, and if its gotten to that point humor is usually absent :eek:

That reminds me of a funny scene in Fight Quest, when training BJJ. The guy was being choked out, but couldn't tap because his arms couldn't reach the map in the lock, and being choked out he couldn't use his voice... he passed out on the show :freaky:

DonMagee 07-23-2012 12:47 PM

Verbally taping is nothing new to me. I have screamed tap a few times in some dangerous situations. :D