AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Spiritual (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   aiki/reiki (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12708)

Qatana 06-05-2007 08:57 PM

aiki/reiki

Ok so I did a search here and it looks like most of the mention recently of Reiki is over in those "internal stranghth/MMA/how the hippies ruined aikido" threads, and I Do Not desire this to turn into one of them, I'd prefer it to die a quiet death.

<rant mode off,question mode on>

On Sunday I went and got my Reiki I cert. I didn't do one second of research, it just felt like the right thing to do at the time, and as Reiki is an intuitive practice I figgered to follow that intuition.
I find Reiki practice turns out to be almost what we sometimes practice in our dojo, we've done Laying on of hands as long as i"ve been training, tho we've had no other Reiki practitioners to my knowledge.
Reiki energy seems to work the same way the energies in Bob Nadeau's energy work do, When OSensei taught this work to Nadeau Sensei he said it was the Kami coming through, we just call it energy.And "ki" is the same ideogram on both my Reiki and rank certificates.
After the training I came home and did such reasearch as I could.Seems the origins of Reiki are much more cloudy and cryptic than Aikido's but its pretty clear to me the Founders of both practices were getting the same stuff from the same place.
So I'd like to hear form other Reiki practitioners out there-does one affect the other for you? Do they blend? Is it magic? It works, I know that!
And please, if this isn't your bowl of rice, please just pass withut comment, I 'm not looking to have the Debate move over here, thanks.

L. Camejo 06-06-2007 01:20 AM

Re: aiki/reiki

I always found it interesting that Mt. Kurama held great significance to both Ueshiba M. and Dr. Usui.

DarkShodan 06-06-2007 07:52 AM

This doesn't exactly qualify, but then again not much does on these forums!

I've done my share of Ki Meditation. I've done some Chi Kung as well. I like to wow my friends by making Ki Balls and bouncing them on their hands. A few months ago I was visiting a dojo in Minneapolis. At the end of the seminar the instructor told us to get with our partners. Our partners were supposed to tell us what is sore, and then we lay our hands on that body part and concentrate on sending our Ki into that body part. Ah, the jokes began to fly! "I'm sore right here...put yours hands there." "No thanks dude!" Anyway, the instructor told us we can not heal others, only the body can heal itself, we give our energy to that person so their body can use that energy to heal faster. I don't think many of us believed it, certainly not my partner. He put his hands on my shoulder and did this little pressing action. Actually hurt more. So then it was my turn and I must say even I was surprised. He said his shoulder immediately felt better and looser. He was truly amazed, I must say I was as well since I had never tried that before. So, does that qualify? No, I'm not a practitioner but I am a believer. Would like to try it again some time, it was pretty cool.

Larry Cuvin 06-06-2007 08:14 AM

Ki Pressing is Kiatsu Ho. We do this in Ki Society and is very effective. I have attended a few seminars but I hope to complete this two-year course and get certified sometime in the future. Just one of the coolest application of ki, IMHO.

Qatana 06-06-2007 09:22 AM

Yeah, sounds very similar to both the practices I've done, we just don't call it anything other than "healing" in the dojo. For me the use of the words is not as important as the use of the practice- and I'm very serious about definitions!

Albert Oktovianus 06-06-2007 08:19 PM

Well, it happens that I'm an aikidoka and a reiki practitioners also. ;)
And to me they both complement each other, even not in the physical manners but more in the philosophycal manners.
You see, in Aikido we emphasize in harmony and Reiki is not so much different.
When you try to heal someone by your touch, you have to harmonize yourself to the person you wish to heal. Because, if you are unable to do that, your Reiki energy will not flow freely.
What I mean 'in harmony' here, is that you should try to eliminate your negative emotions, feelings and even your negative perceptions about the person you're going to heal.

I hope this short opinion can shed some light. :o

Peace & Respect,
Albert O