AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Seminars (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Hilo, HI - February 2nd 2014: Basic Principles of Aiki and Internal Power (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23329)

Chris Li 01-22-2014 12:50 AM

Hilo, HI - February 2nd 2014: Basic Principles of Aiki and Internal Power

A one day intensive workshop in Hilo, Hawaii covering the basic principles, concepts and training methods of Aiki and Internal Power with Chris Li and Mert Gambito of the Aikido Sangenkai. Hosted on the Big Island of Hawaii by Hilo Seishikan Aikido. Contact us for more information.

Best,

Chris

Dazaifoo 01-22-2014 06:21 PM

Re: Hilo, HI - February 2nd 2014: Basic Principles of Aiki and Internal Power

Wish I could be there, if only I lived in Hawaii. Hmmnnnn....

I definitely recommend these two gentlemen for anyone interested in getting their foot in the door or just as a refresher/chance to work on IP/Aiki basics. Both posess a good (and growing) skill set and are just plain decent folks to know. So if you have a chance, what better way to spend a day in February but in Hawaii, right?

Of course, you guys did plan this for Groundhog Day. Rise and shine campers! Hope the Bill Murray curse skips you. Then again, how would that be any different from regular training? Get up, work the basics, go to sleep, repeat. :D

jamie yugawa 01-23-2014 02:15 PM

This is another reason to come to Hilo !!! Its not all IP and sunshine here!!! :) http://alittleyum.com/2013/04/30/two...i-hilo-hawaii/

Chris Li 02-03-2014 11:44 PM

And a great time was had by all ;) - posted a few photos from the workshop.

Best,

Chris

jonreading 02-04-2014 11:09 AM

Is there a scholarship program!!??

Chris Li 02-04-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Jon Reading wrote: (Post 334990)
Is there a scholarship program!!??

1 free beer with every trip from Atlanta. :)

Best,

Chris

Keith Larman 02-04-2014 11:58 AM

We have family in Keaau and when we come to visit the first thing I do is verify the two ladies' hours... Just for their various "standard" mochi -- the strawberry stuff is good (and I was surprisingly taken with the red grape style), but I really like just their standard mochi. Amazing stuff. Sigh...

Then there's the laulau at Kuhio Grille... And breakfast at Ken's. Oh, and Kawamoto store... And ice at Itsu's... Sigh again...

Chris Li 02-04-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Keith Larman wrote: (Post 334992)
We have family in Keaau and when we come to visit the first thing I do is verify the two ladies' hours... Just for their various "standard" mochi -- the strawberry stuff is good (and I was surprisingly taken with the red grape style), but I really like just their standard mochi. Amazing stuff. Sigh...

Then there's the laulau at Kuhio Grille... And breakfast at Ken's. Oh, and Kawamoto store... And ice at Itsu's... Sigh again...

Two Ladies was closed on Sunday - but one of our Big Island folks saved some for me! :D

Best,

Chris

Keith Larman 02-04-2014 12:13 PM

This is killing me...

Andy Kazama 02-04-2014 01:36 PM

I don't know...judging from the pictures it didn't look like you guys were enjoying the seminar :D Also, I want to personally thank you (and I'm sure Keith would echo this) for not posting actual pictures of the food.

I assume that Jamie's kid was there to keep everyone humble on the push-testing? I bet that kid is going to be an aiki-beast!!!!

jamie yugawa 02-04-2014 02:26 PM

Quote:

Keith Larman wrote: (Post 334992)

Damn Kieth you are a local!!! Kamaaina brah!

jamie yugawa 02-04-2014 02:29 PM

Quote:

Andy Kazama wrote: (Post 334998)
I don't know...judging from the pictures it didn't look like you guys were enjoying the seminar :D Also, I want to personally thank you (and I'm sure Keith would echo this) for not posting actual pictures of the food.

I assume that Jamie's kid was there to keep everyone humble on the push-testing? I bet that kid is going to be an aiki-beast!!!!

Yeah actually my son does more suburi more than me!! He really likes martial arts and tries to fight me all the time. I am going to try and teach him 6 directions so by the time he gets to kindergarten nobody's going to mess with him. LOL

Keith Larman 02-04-2014 03:48 PM

Quote:

Jamie Yugawa wrote: (Post 335002)
Damn Kieth you are a local!!! Kamaaina brah!

Been trying to convince the wife to relocate for years. Love that side of the island. But we'd have relatives here chasing us down and stealing our daughter if we took off. I try to tell her she can work in the hospitals out there and I can work anywhere. But no... Probably better for my waistline too...

Eat till it hurts, kama'aina brah... :)

jamie yugawa 02-04-2014 05:33 PM

First of all I would like to say that Chris Li and Mert Gambito are not only great people but excellent teachers as well. We did the seminar based on the basics of IP including 6 directions, what is and how to manifest intent, winding etc. They presented the material in an easy to digest presentation that had even the newer people were able to manifest the internal concepts in a short amount of time. The Hilo group is shortly but rapidly going to train IP on a weekly basis to train together. We are looking forward to the next Aikido Sangenkai seminar and Dan's next visit in July!

Mert Gambito 02-04-2014 10:53 PM

Quote:

Keith Larman wrote: (Post 335007)
Been trying to convince the wife to relocate for years. Love that side of the island. But we'd have relatives here chasing us down and stealing our daughter if we took off. I try to tell her she can work in the hospitals out there and I can work anywhere. But no... Probably better for my waistline too...

Eat till it hurts, kama'aina brah... :)

Keith,

Well, hopefully there's still an L&L on Arroyo Parkway. I also thought Aloha Food Factory in Alhambra was pretty good (assuming that's also still there).

Keith Larman 02-05-2014 08:22 AM

L&L is still there. Right on the way home from picking the kid up from school. Yes, it's still there, calling me every time I drive by... Then I remind myself of the look I'll get from my wife if I come home with it.

There is also a place near our dojo that does kinda okay dim sum. But... Their steamed pork buns are pretty much a dead ringer when they're freshly made, albeit smaller, for manapua...

Mert Gambito 02-05-2014 10:57 PM

Quote:

Keith Larman wrote: (Post 335024)
Then I remind myself of the look I'll get from my wife if I come home with it.

Just disguise it by putting it in a Roscoe's bag. :D

Keith Larman 02-07-2014 11:12 PM

Quote:

Mert Gambito wrote: (Post 335042)
Just disguise it by putting it in a Roscoe's bag. :D

Since there's a Roscoe's chicken and waffles just a few miles from my house, I'd get an even uglier look if I did that... The trick is finding something she both doesn't like but approves of for my diet... Damn, i've been married a looooong time...

P.S. Roscoe's is great... Hit L&L yesterday too... ;)

Keith Larman 02-07-2014 11:14 PM

And... Aloha food factory is still there. Hmm, fried rice Hawaiian style. damn, I'm hungry again...