AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Hand-Washing Dogi (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10582)

akiy 06-29-2006 11:46 AM

Hand-Washing Dogi

Hi everyone,

Does anyone here have experience hand-washing dogi?

I may be doing so on a future trip and was wondering if using Dr Bronner's would be sufficient...

Any tips on this sort of thing from people who have experience with such?

Thanks,

-- Jun

Mike Hamer 06-29-2006 01:33 PM

Re: Hand-Washing Dogi

Couldnt tell ya, I get my Dogi today.

justin 06-29-2006 03:37 PM

i tried it once due to my washer braking down thought i done a good job until i wore in training and once the sweat hit the gi it become clear i hadn't rinsed it very well as the smell of washing powder had everyone in fits of laughter except me of course

Neal Earhart 06-29-2006 04:00 PM

I've washed Gis in hotel sinks/tubs when I've been at seminars and let them dry in shower stall, or by the AC/heating unit, or on the room balcony railing (if there is one).

...and I've used Dr. Bronner's (peppermint, to be exact)...no issues with Dr. Bronner's ;) :)

Nikopol 09-27-2007 10:01 PM

Kind of Blue.

I just now accidentally washed a pair of blue cotton drawstring pants with my Dogi.

I now have a blue Dogi. :(
(and towel, and several pair of socks)

巻いた!

I am sticking it back in the washer in hopes that some of the blue will wash out, but I took a peek and it does not seem to be working.

Has anyone ever had this experience?

If I keep washing it do you think it will revert?

Suggestions?

Our Dojo only allows blue dogi for Shihan....

Ketsan 09-28-2007 06:07 AM

Re: Kind of Blue.

Quote:

Vincent Nikopol wrote: (Post 190759)
I just now accidentally washed a pair of blue cotton drawstring pants with my Dogi.

I now have a blue Dogi. :(
(and towel, and several pair of socks)

巻いた!

I am sticking it back in the washer in hopes that some of the blue will wash out, but I took a peek and it does not seem to be working.

Has anyone ever had this experience?

If I keep washing it do you think it will revert?

Suggestions?

Our Dojo only allows blue dogi for Shihan....

Hmm. KEEP YOUR GI WET!! Then find a shop that sells wash in dyes and see if there's a dye removing product, wash your gi in that and it should solve the problem.

Fred Little 09-28-2007 09:14 AM

My past experience with using Dr. Bronner's is that there's no problem with the wash, but depending on the water, a thorough rinse may be difficult to achieve in the sink. The shower is another matter....

akiy 09-28-2007 09:22 AM

Just to follow-up on my own original post from last year...

I was able to wash my dogi in the shower of the hostel (gite) where I was staying by putting some Dr. Bronner's soap on it and stomping on it while I showered. I'd then hang it up to dry while I wore my other set of dogi. Since people still kept training with me and the instructor kept using me for uke during the week, I'm guessing that the shower-stomping dogi-washing was enough to keep my dogi clean. At least, I was satisfied...

-- Jun

Marie Noelle Fequiere 09-28-2007 12:12 PM

I do not have a washing machine, so I always hand wash my gi. It's time consuming, but this is what works for me:
When I arrive at home after the class, I carefully examine the gi and I use liquid detergent to pre-wash any spot, as well as all vulnerable areas, like the inside of the collar, and the hems of both the top and the pants, and I let it stay for at least fifteen minutes. Then, I put it in a bucket with more detergent, water, and a few drops of clorox. I leave it there for a few hours. Then when I come to shower, I put the bucket in the bathtub with me, and I use a small brush to remove any remaining spot. I also systematically brush all the vulnerable areas. Then, I rinse, and I shower. After that, I hang to dry.
I understand that all this process may take too much time for someone who is travelling and needs to hurry, but it's worth trying, by letting the uniform spend less time in the bucket, for example.

gdandscompserv 09-28-2007 01:38 PM

Definitely shower/tub stomping for the wash phase using some type of disinfectant. I don't care for bleach as it is hard on the fibres. Pinesol works good for bacteria if you don't mind smelling like a tree.:D For the drying phase I recommend getting a hotel room with some type of balcony, preferably above ground level, and sun drying your gi as much as possible. The UV rays kill bacteria.

DonMagee 09-28-2007 01:47 PM

FYI vinegar in your wash can keep colors from bleeding. I soak my blue gi's in vinegar and have no problems washing them with white ones.

The first wash of all my colored clothes has a cup of vinegar in it.

lbb 09-28-2007 01:57 PM

'nother tip for hand-washing, or washing in general: if you can't get to it right away after training, hang your gi up or spread it out so it can dry and air out. That way the stench doesn't incubate quite as much.