AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   AikiWeb System (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Poll: In which aikido role do you feel more physically comfortable? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11664)

AikiWeb System 01-21-2007 12:30 AM

Poll: In which aikido role do you feel more physically comfortable?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of January 21, 2007:

In which aikido role do you feel more physically comfortable?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Nage/Shite/Tori
  • Uke
Here are the current results.

Mark Uttech 01-21-2007 07:24 AM

Re: Poll: In which aikido role do you feel more physically comfortable?

I voted "nage", not because i consider it 'better' than uke, but because I can be more in control of how the interaction pans out, especially when I do not know my partner. It is a tough poll, because when a confrontation comes out of the blue, being uke or nage might be up to you.

In gassho

Mark

Tharis 01-21-2007 04:18 PM

Uke is more comfortable in that I don't have as much responsibility for making everything look right.

Nage is more comfortable because I don't have to fall.

I think it's also true that Uke is more comfortable when training with sempai, and Nage is more comfortable when training with kohai. Taking ukemi for beginners can be awkwrd and very rarely more dangerous, whereas it's more painstaking and challenging to work with an advanced uke who will expect you to do the technique "right."

pointy 01-21-2007 07:36 PM

i would vote "both," or "neither"

it's all one practice, the role doesnt matter so much to me personally

Takumi 01-22-2007 08:46 AM

I think uke is easier for me. Even though I shouldn't worry about doing the technique perfectly, I do. So when I am uke, I only have to worry about following through, following nage, and not hitting nage.

raul rodrigo 01-22-2007 09:05 AM

Not hitting nage? Aren't you supposed to hit nage if you can?

Amanda 01-22-2007 09:40 AM

I'd be a another vote for both/neither. I don't think I am truly comfortable as either yet there have been moments as both though.

Neil Mick 01-23-2007 12:22 AM

Now THAT's funny! 50/50 split, right down the middle. :D

RoyK 01-23-2007 04:36 AM

Quote:

Raul Rodrigo wrote:
Not hitting nage? Aren't you supposed to hit nage if you can?

I think what Dylan means is physically clashing with nage. not a punch or a kick.

I'd go for both/neither, because at my current level - it really depends on the technique.

Karen Wolek 01-26-2007 05:14 AM

You know, I've been thinking about this question on and off all week. At first, I thought I was even-steven, equally comfortable as both uke and nage. So I didn't respond, since that was not an option.

But to be honest, I am more comfortable as nage. There used to be a larger discrepancy between the two, so it has narrowed quite a bit. But I'm still better as nage than uke.

I have worked really hard to get my ukemi equal, but I am not there yet. I still get corrected by Sensei when taking ukemi, either for him or for another student. (I'm 1st kyu) But I recently watched a video of myself taking ukemi for a 5th kyu test....and you know, I didn't look that bad at all!

Getting there.....

Erick Mead 01-26-2007 08:44 AM

The forward kind ...

:D

Kim Rivers 01-26-2007 11:15 PM

LIke others I would have voted for both ideally. I enjoy being uke. Getting the opportunity to follow my nage an dbe opne to where they take me. i enjoy falling and rolling a lot. As nage i am just learning to be opne to what uke brings as individuals to their "attacks". each is a unique opportunity and even as nage i find I do better when i don't have an agenda. Just moving and welcoming uke usually lets a technique emerge. It is a work in progress though. -Kim