AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Testing (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   General Shodan test requirements? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2657)

Jorx 09-26-2002 03:17 AM

General Shodan test requirements?

Are there somewhat standardized requirements for Shodan test? What are those? What is usually done in Shodan tests? For how long they usually ask? What was "asked" in your test?

Regards...
Jorgen
Estonian Aikikai
Riveta sportsclub
(hopefully a future shodan)

Creature_of_the_id 09-26-2002 05:06 AM

In my association our shodan test consists of:

A section in which the examiner names attacks and you do which ever pins and throws come to mind for that attack. (this section is basicly to get you into your rhythm and calm your nerves).

we then have a section of Kata. In which the 5 basic pins are done (irimi and tenkan) from shomen uchi attack (apart from gokyo, which is done from yokomen). Very slowly and extremely precisely.

We have a section of defense against a knife. 6 different attacks 2 or 3 different techniques from each attack, with suitable disarmament.

We have a section of randori. only against one opponent.

of course the examiners are looking for many things within the test. But, you are not asked to take it unless the head of the association is sure you are competant enough to pass. Which is slightly different to previous grades, since in all kyu grades you can grade when you want to and when you feel you are good enough... but if you are not good enough you fail. (but you get feedback over where to improve)

gotta dash for lunch

JJF 09-26-2002 06:08 AM

In Danish Aikikai the student prepares a program based on a curriculum where it is stated which types of techniques the student should demonstrate. This inlcudes:

suwariwaza (ikkyo-gokyo, Iriminage, kotegaeshi)

Hamni handachi (at least 5 variations and until instructed to stop)

Tachiwaza (3 categories from this list: Ryote tori, Aihamni katate tori, Gyakuhamni katate tori, Sode tori, Katatori men uchi, Yokomen, Tsuki, Shomen, Morote, Ushirowaza - at least five variations in each cat.

tanto tori (10 variations)

And then something quite specific for students of Nishio Shihan:

Ken tai ken Shihonage

Ken tai jo Shihonage

Usually before the grading one of the Tachiwaza categories is decided by the grading committee.

This type of program usually lasts for about 15-20 minutes.

Alan Drysdale 09-26-2002 11:13 AM

I think all the different organizations have different requirements, and sometimes the requirements are not even standard within organizations.

Larry Feldman 09-26-2002 12:03 PM

It does vary by organization.

My previus organization had 50 techniques,and 2 weapons katas. followed by randori. TaiGi - a kind of Kata were added.

My current organization has a fairly stringent test. 287 techniques, and about an hours worth of bokken and jo katas.

akiy 09-26-2002 12:12 PM

Eek -- 287 techniques plus an hours' worth of weapons work?

I think our last batch of shodan tests were about fifteen to twenty minutes each.

There's another batch of yudansha exams coming up in about a week; I'll see about timing them.

-- Jun

Larry Feldman 09-26-2002 01:29 PM

Eek was my first impression of the requirements as well. It's a long test. It is usually given over 2 days. 1 day for Aikido (and randori), 1 for weapons. Once you have the skills it really becomes somewhat of a physical requirement for the Aikido - a mental test with all the weapons.

It is also the current requirements for Nidan. Obviously the techniques are expected to be more fluid/polished.

MikeE 09-26-2002 03:54 PM

I started in the Aikikai testing tradition with specific techniques and such.

In the IAA we do:

Minimum 1 year assistantship under Chief Instructor

1. Demonstrate 5 different defenses against any attacks selected by the examiner (usually 6 or 7 different attacks)

2. Must know all the names of the basic Aiki

Taiso and Aikido Arts.

3. Must be able to execute any leads from

any basic arts as examiner may specify

4. Must have the ability to instruct the basic

arts.

5. Jo-nage (throwing with jo).

6. Tanto tori (disarming knife attack).

7. Jo Jiyuwaza

8. Must be able to execute any jogi or kengi.

9. Defenses against kicks, ground defenses.

10. Yonin-gakari (4 person randori).

11. Kokyudosa

Nacho_mx 09-26-2002 05:01 PM

These are our schoolīs shodan requirements (were Aikikai/I.A.F. affiliated):

5 different defenses against:

1.Katatori Menuchi

2.Yokomenuchi

3.Morotetori

4.Shomenuchi

5.Ryotetori

5 different forms of Koshinage

5 different forms of Ushiro Hanmi Handachi

Tantotori (freestyle)

Jotori (optional)

Tachitori (optional too)

Henkawaza (the examiner calls the technique)

Freestyle against 4 ukes.

Thatīs it, it usually takes about 15 minutes.