AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   AikiWeb System (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Article: Shoshin by Lynn Seiser (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7425)

AikiWeb System 01-27-2005 05:12 PM

Article: Shoshin by Lynn Seiser

Discuss the article, "Shoshin" by Lynn Seiser here.

Article URL: http://www.aikiweb.com/columns/lseiser/2005_01.html

Jelena Drvendzija 01-28-2005 02:01 AM

Re: Article: Shoshin by Lynn Seiser

Thank you. Reading your article, I really felt I am not alone on the journey.
Thank you again.

Jelena Drvendzija
Serbia-Montenegro Aikikai

Dazzler 01-28-2005 05:40 AM

Interesting.

When I first started teaching I found it highly annoying if others with previous experience came to 'my' mat and did their own stuff.

as my experience grows I am now far more tolerant...Instead of a rigid plan I see the lesson as more of a framework for a development process and encourage those with other experiences to work by adding the lesson to what they already know instead of replacing it.

I prefer them to at least give my ideas a good go before reverting to what they already have ...but find I am developing a following of experienced students who also bring something to the party.

While usually I am the sensei ...and in charge, I hope they are not repressed from sharing their own ideas with the class as long as it remains aligned to the general lesson.

Hopefully they feel that their experience is recognised and respected.

Just my thoughts....

D

SeiserL 01-28-2005 07:56 AM

Thanks for your kind word, response, and sharing.

I personally don't want to disregard what I have learned from other instructors in other arts to learn Aikido. That would Mushin, empty mind. I do want to always stay open to learning something different and new, that's Shoshin, beginner's mind.

IMHO, a closed mind is rigid and a sign of ego and ignorance. An open mind is a sign of wisdom and humility.

The more people want it their way, the less I tend to think they know what they're doing. If you come to learn, learn. If you come to only teach, start your own school.

As the perpetual student, I am selfish enough to just love the training.

Thanks again.

James Young 01-28-2005 03:47 PM

I really liked this article and I agree with it. I was amused by the point about people who go to seminars and insist on doing the techniques their way. It almost seems inevitable that I get a partner like this at least once at any seminar I go to and although I'll always try to keep a smile on my face it always annoys me inside. I always wonder about what motivates these people to pay good money to come to a seminar and receive training from the given instructor only to turn around and practice with their partner the technique their way, when they could easily stay at their home dojo to practice that way and save their money.

I've noticed there are two types or levels of these people. One type is where when they are the nage they will just do the technique their way. This isn't too bad because I can at least let them be and just go along for the ride and take the ukemi. The most annoying type to me is the one that not only does the technique their way but when it's my turn to try it and I decide to go slowly and may be trying to work through it so I can do it the way as taught they then try to teach you or insist to do it right you have to do it their way without any regard as to the way demonstrated by the instructor. Of course if I did it my way I could do it quickly and fluidly too, but to me that is never my goal at a seminar and those people never seem to get that.

Sorry to go off on that tangent, but I really do like and believe in the shoshin concept and I try to practice it. One of my personal maxims in doing this is while on the mat listen to advice from anyone while only giving it sparingly.

SeiserL 01-28-2005 05:21 PM

Quote:

James Young wrote:
Sorry to go off on that tangent, but I really do like and believe in the shoshin concept and I try to practice it. One of my personal maxims in doing this is while on the mat listen to advice from anyone while only giving it sparingly.

Doesn't sound like a tangent to me, in fact, it sound right on line with my thoughts about always staying in Shoshin.

BTW, where in the OC do you study?

James Young 02-01-2005 02:20 PM

Thanks for the comment. To answer your question I practice in Irvine at Ikazuchi dojo. In fact Lynn, even though I don't think you remember, I've met and practiced with you a couple times when I've gone over to Tenshinkai for seminars. Always an enjoyable time.

SeiserL 02-01-2005 10:25 PM

[quote=James Young] In fact Lynn, even though I don't think you remember, I've met and practiced with you a couple times when I've gone over to Tenshinkai for seminars. [quote]

OUPs, sorry. I am so much better with faces then names.

BTW, we have a huge seminar this weekend.

ian 02-02-2005 03:05 AM

As you probably know Lynn, I find most of your postings in aikiweb completely in line with my way of thinking (or is it that I'm in line with your way of thinking :D)

Great article (and I'm not just saying that because I agree with it; or am I? :confused: )

I've always said myself in aikido you have to be completely selfish - steal people's knowledge and incorporate whatever you find useful.

Ian

SeiserL 02-02-2005 07:41 AM

Ian,

Thanks for your kind words. Yes, they do simply mean we agree. Its nice to know we are not alone.

Yes, I am very selfish. I want to learn from everyone in every position I am in. I even get something back by giving it all away. Go figure. The problem always is the more I learn, the more I know there is always more to learn. Like a kid in a candy store.