AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Techniques (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What should I use? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11471)

Rahmid 12-15-2006 09:42 PM

What should I use?

I'm new, very new. And I was thinking, what would I do it some just tries to punch me straight in the face? Are the techs. down the line that i would use for this?

thanks

Rahmid

Janet Rosen 12-15-2006 10:14 PM

Re: What should I use?

You get out of the way of the fist.
You see what openings present themselves while you are doing that.
You act on them.

Mark Uttech 12-16-2006 03:57 AM

Getting off the line of attack is the first thing. Practice of irimi and tenkan movements build a very strong foundation for this. If you are very new, thinking about technique can create confusion. Nothing wrong with confusion, confusion only appears with newness.

In gassho

Mark

SeiserL 12-16-2006 06:56 AM

Got off the line.
Common sense.
Good manners.
Humility.
Sense of self-humor.

pjriego 12-16-2006 05:20 PM

Run my friend, run!

mickeygelum 12-16-2006 05:32 PM

Ask Vecchio Sensei..I am sure she will guide you... ;)

Miku-san

michael_rath 12-16-2006 06:45 PM

It's not the ones you see coming that are the problems. It's that sucker punch you must watch for. :D

That sounds like you've never been in a fight before. Is that correct? If so, stay with that strategy. The best way not to get hit is avoidance. You don't have anything to prove to some idiot who wants to pick a fight any ways.

tay away from hiIf you can't avoid it use what you know & commone sense:stay off the center line (using the techniques shown to you or just move out of the way stay away from his other hand while you control his attacking wrist.
use any of the wrist locks shown while making the attacker commit to his movement.
reverse his movement with the pivoting of your hips and feet (still using the wrist lock) cut downward as you step forward in the direction you want the attacker to go and release

I always add a nice stomp to the face or ribs to make sure he stays put as I take off.

Ask your sensei if you're really unsure though. ;)

Michael

andylucas 12-17-2006 08:29 AM

keep your hands up, don't lead with your chin.

Kevin Leavitt 12-17-2006 02:01 PM

some very good advice. I do have to agree it is not the ones you see that matter, it is the ones you don't see.

Getting off the line of attack is good if you have the time, space, and ability to do so.

You may also want to practice closing the distance and clinching as once that space we normally operate in aikido is taken from you, sometimes it is better to not come out of it until you have established control.

You can get hurt or dominated very much by trying to back out of the distance that was closed if you do not do it tactically correctly.

If you are concerned with real fighting and what you have to do minimize damage and control the situation, you need to practice many different situations, timings, distances...there is no right answer.

Moving off the line, not leading with your chin (assumes you are going to square off with him), closing the distance, controlling his balance/center, staying in a tactical position to minimize the threat of weapons etc...lots and lots about it...no one right answer except train, train, and train some more! Good luck.

Luc X Saroufim 12-18-2006 01:56 PM

there's a thread i started called "high punch?" there was some advice in there as well....i too am still concerned about this type of attack, but i am also still new.

DonMagee 12-18-2006 02:16 PM

first, grab one lapel and one arm, then jump up, wrap your legs around your victim and pull them to the ground. Once you are there, you should know what to do. (Just kidding)

Seriously, a punch defense will depend on the context it was thrown in. Are we talking sparing? a MMA fight?, a sucker punch? A known conflict with a person you do not want to hurt such as a child or drunk?

Every situation has it's own justified response. There are millions of things you can do with a punch, including getting hit.

SeiserL 12-18-2006 03:20 PM

Quote:

Justin Simmerer wrote:
what would I do it some just tries to punch me straight in the face?

As a tall man, I like to get off the line while entering into Irimi-nage or Shayu-undo.

roninroshi 12-18-2006 09:32 PM

Get off the line...then strike hard w/a palm heel shot to the side of their jaw,or elbow strike to the side of the neck or head...and put your entire body weight into the strike...

Amir Krause 12-19-2006 12:29 AM

I doubt you could get a real answer for your question from reading suggestions.

So I will only state the obvious:
Ask Your teacher !

If he tells you to wait, you should, but you should check if the more advanced students practice against punches in a serious manner i.e. realistic punches and practicing in a regular manner. If this type of practice is only very sporadic, even for the advanced students, you should know you will not really learn how to utilize Aikido against this type of attack, since learning of a solution is worthless without infinite practice of applying it.

Amir

xuzen 12-19-2006 01:15 AM

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), you hear me ... SHOMEN-ATE (TM) FTW!!!

And also read my signature...

Boon.

hapkidoike 12-19-2006 10:53 PM

Quote:

Justin Simmerer wrote:
I'm new, very new. And I was thinking, what would I do it some just tries to punch me straight in the face? Are the techs. down the line that i would use for this?

thanks

Rahmid

If your worried about your personal safety buy/carry a pistol.

graham 12-20-2006 03:10 PM

Quote:

Isaac Bettis wrote:
If your worried about your personal safety buy/carry a pistol.

Yeah, and then when it turns out that it was some drunk single Dad who was out drowning his sorrows because he's just found out that his vindictive wife has won sole custody of his kids, and he was at home contemplating taking his own life when he decided that he was best getting out of the house and drowning his sorrows in the safety of the public eye...

Well, at least you will have put him out of his misery. :rolleyes:

Guns don't kill people. Those who practice the way of harmony with Ki kill people! ;)

saulofong 12-20-2006 03:44 PM

Food for thought:

Why would someone try to punch you straight in the face ? :)

My opinion is that as you practice Aikido, this kind of questions would start to show up in your mind. It sure started to show up in mine.

statisticool 12-20-2006 04:19 PM

Quote:

Justin Simmerer wrote:

thanks

Rahmid

Nothing. By definition, they've just tried to hit you in the face but haven't actually.

:)

michael_rath 12-20-2006 04:21 PM

Quote:

Kevin Leavitt wrote:
Getting off the line of attack is good if you have the time, space, and ability to do so.

You may also want to practice closing the distance and clinching as once that space we normally operate in aikido is taken from you, sometimes it is better to not come out of it until you have established control.

You can get hurt or dominated very much by trying to back out of the distance that was closed if you do not do it tactically correctly.

If you are concerned with real fighting and what you have to do minimize damage and control the situation, you need to practice many different situations, timings, distances...there is no right answer.

...closing the distance, controlling his balance/center, staying in a tactical position to minimize the threat of weapons etc...lots and lots about it...no one right answer except train, train, and train some more! Good luck.

I agree with you as well Kevin. Learning trapping and other forms of grappling maybe need as well. Sometimes wrestling maneuvers are more useful then aikido when you're on your back.
If you are getting attacked rather then just facing off is two different things all together. I you're attacked you need to be more prepared to roll with the hit and gain composure to start causing trauma to the attacker. Being new, I would think avoid, avoid, avoid, and run are really good suggestions :D

With seriousness though. If you are attacked you might have to just get dirty and start using your environment and really, really soft spots to take care of business to survive. If you're really, really new, don't get into a fist fight! Not on purpose. Then you're just going against your training. Stay safe.

Michael

pezalinski 12-21-2006 03:08 PM

Quote:

Luc Saroufim wrote:
there's a thread i started called "high punch?" there was some advice in there as well....i too am still concerned about this type of attack, but i am also still new.

I'd probably respond with soto-giri, uke-nagashi, or suriage to blend with and deflect the strike, while getting my head (and other targets) off-line. And then, anything goes! :p It's an ai-ki blend response, as opposed to a counter-attack, though it can segway into actual techniques...

We've trained in these three primary ways of redirecting a strike in our dojo, and review the training periodically. I'm really fond of sotogiri, and tend to react with it during ukemi to take the heat off of a fast iriminage or shomen-ate. All of these blends become natural reactions to a strike, after a while.

:ai: :ki: :do:

Kevin Leavitt 12-21-2006 03:22 PM

What I always find interesting in these discussions is the assumptions we all make about what a straight punch looks like.

Again, many, many good solutions, but many of the solutions involve a certain amount of knowledge and time.

If you know it is coming and you can see it is a straight punch, and you have center and balance, then yes move off the line.

If you feel that he might be threatening you, but has yet to close the distance then run.

If he suprises you, and you don't see it at all, or do not have that perfect kamae...then you may get hit...big deal? so what? what happens next?

What is his intent in hitting you? What are the conditions.

In Iraq if someone that is a possible enemy and presented an immediate and unknown threat that turned out to be a straight punch...I might shoot him depending on the situation.

In a bar I might step off line avoid the punch, or I might get hit and clinch him to the ground.

It is all situational dependent based on the conditions, timing and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Training and understanding your mind, and environment are the first important steps.

statisticool 12-23-2006 07:44 AM

Quote:

Justin Simmerer wrote:

thanks

Rahmid

Groin kick, but make it aiki. ;)