AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Language (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Help with choosing a dojo name w/ kanji. (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14019)

Nick P. 02-26-2008 09:27 AM

Help with choosing a dojo name w/ kanji.

2 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone,

My home dojo project is well underway (many pics are being taken and a complete from A to Z will be coming once completed), and the time has come to choose a name.

The dojo is being built in the basement of my home, and as such I envisioned the name containing any combination of the words
-home
-under
-over
-(maybe even) cave
-mountain-side (the house is located on the flank of a mountain)

I had begun using http://www.saiga-jp.com/kanji_dictionary.html to hash something together, and came up with these, but am unsure in which order they should go (i.e. under home or home under)..

Then our sensei from Japan visited us, and after a few too many drinks I asked him the same question and produced the same kanji for his inspection; he said that even better would be "Ni ku something-something" (note, never ask a question when you are drunk).

In English he explained that Ni ku was just like the kanji used in my name (ni = benevolent, ku = derive, see my avatar), which he chose for my hakama and belt embroidery, and that the something-something meant practice or training. All I can remember about the mystery word is it sounded like it began with K or N, and had two syllables, but even then I am not sure anymore...

So, to summarize:
-What words and corresponding kanji should I use for my idea of "home above" or "under home"?
-Which of the two shown below (if either) means practice or training in this context?

Thanks for reading.

akiy 02-26-2008 09:42 AM

Re: Help with choosing a dojo name w/ kanji.

The Japanese term for "basement" is "chikashitu" (lit. "ground under room"):

http://www.df.lth.se/cgi-bin/j-e/FG=...b2%bc%bc%bc?TR

Hope that helps,

-- Jun

Nick P. 02-26-2008 11:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Jun.

Turns out the complete word was Jinjuuku

Jin as in the same kanji as Ni (again, upper kanji in my avatar).

Juu as in training (I believe it is the one shown in the photo attached, sound link confirms it can be pronounced juu).

Ku: any insights would be appreciated.

edit ~ Duh! Could it be the same ku as the lower one in my avatar?

Thanks!

oisin bourke 02-26-2008 04:19 PM

Maybe the "juku" in your title refers to the Kanji for a private training school? Nowadays in Japan, the term is often used for private cram schools, but is also used for martial arts schools.

Ueshiba Morihei's first Dojo was named the Ueshiba Juku, I believe. The Kanji is also used in the Dojo I attend.

Nick P. 02-26-2008 07:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oooooouuuu, having a similar name as that of O-Sensei's first dojo, I like that!

Oisin, I googled muden juku, and found this...http://www.muden.jp/04_mainframe.html
combined with my strong dictionary-foo, am I correct in asuming the juku kanji = the below jpg? Thanks for confirming.

Many thanks to everyone for indulging me.

oisin bourke 02-26-2008 10:10 PM

That's the one !

nagoyajoe 02-26-2008 11:09 PM

Quote:

Oisin Bourke wrote: (Post 200141)
Maybe the "juku" in your title refers to the Kanji for a private training school? Nowadays in Japan, the term is often used for private cram schools, but is also used for martial arts schools.

Correct, Oisin.

Josh Reyer 02-27-2008 03:30 AM

In the Heian period (794-1185), the civil service was educated at an institution called the Daigakuryo. Teacher's there would provide special, private tuition at their houses to select students, and "juku" originally referred to these private rooms.

In the Edo period, the term thus referred to privately run schools that taught advanced math and science, the arts (liberal, fine, and martial), medicine, Western studies, and the like.

Thus, now it is applied to private schools that provide additional instruction beyond that of the public school system (so-called "cram schools"). No doubt your instructor thought it fitting for you home dojo, given it's long association (particularly in aikido) with education taught out of one's home. The Ueshiba Juku was Ueshiba Morihei's private residence in Ayabe.

I like "Jinrai Chika Juku" as a name. 仁来地下塾. "Jinrai" would be the on-yomi of the characters for "Niku", "chika" means "underground", and then "Juku". Essentially, "Nick's Underground Private Martial Arts School".

Nick P. 02-27-2008 07:05 AM

Thanks everyone.

And Josh, thanks not only for the detailed background on the word, but for putting in the effort of assembling all those elements together, as well as including the kanji. Most appreciated.

Best,
-N

Rupert Atkinson 04-04-2008 03:51 AM

Chika dojo?

Nick P. 09-16-2008 09:15 AM

Considering a different name....

1 Attachment(s)
Update time.

As the basement repairs and upgrades continue (asbestos had to be removed, new windows installed, removing some 30+ yrs of life's floatsome and jetsome) I have considered not using the name Jin Juku which in hindsight is a little egotistical on my part, but instead name it after my mother who not only owns the building, but who has invested a great deal of time and effort and money to make this project happen, not to mention has supported my training in one way or another for the last decade.

As such, could I call on everyone's help once again to surprise my mother with a name for the dojo in her honour? Any suggestions appreciated.

Her name is Lilliane, and once again I have used the site listed in my origal post. Yuri Juku or Suzu Juku seem to tbe the most obvious, and she does love Lily of the valley though the mother could also be used.

Many thanks in advance.

Josh Reyer 09-16-2008 09:43 AM

Re: Considering a different name....

Quote:

Nick Pittson wrote: (Post 216305)
As such, could I call on everyone's help once again to surprise my mother with a name for the dojo in her honour? Any suggestions appreciated.

Her name is Lilliane, and once again I have used the site listed in my origal post. Yuri Juku or Suzu Juku seem to tbe the most obvious, and she does love Lily of the valley though the mother could also be used.

Many thanks in advance.

Suzu by itself is just "bell". You'll need "Suzuran" 鈴蘭 for "lily of the valley".

Yuri Juku seems fine. Short sweet, easy to say. Contains the character for "ai" from "aikido". 百合塾 Go for it.